622 not display EPG for all OTA local channels

twinkiestar

Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
I tried the local OTA local HD channels on the 622, the signal is pretty strong, got all HDs that I wanted in my first try, was happy in the beginning, but then I realized the EPG does not display info for all local channels, most of the sub channels displayed only "digital services" as the name - however, my another HTPC can download EPG from Zap2it which has listings for all the channels! - is there a way to get 622 to display sub channel listings so that I schedule a timer for local channels?

Thanks

WGN 9 is subscribed by me and channel info. is received. But the OTA digital channel guide info. is not available. This was happening with my 811 and now the 622. We are talking about the main channel not the sub channel.

One thing nice about the old Voom receivers is that they supported PSIP data. I received all channel information. Why Dish receivers don't support PSIP is beyond me.

cpdretired said:
WGN 9 is subscribed by me and channel info. is received. But the OTA digital channel guide info. is not available. This was happening with my 811 and now the 622. We are talking about the main channel not the sub channel.

One thing nice about the old Voom receivers is that they supported PSIP data. I received all channel information. Why Dish receivers don't support PSIP is beyond me.

I don't understand all the technical aspects but although Dish uses part of the PSIP data stream, they've designed most of their receivers to reject the embedded EPG data.

They say it's for technical reasons but I believe it's so they can have control over who gets any OTA guide data and who doesn't.

That way they can charge a subscriber "tax" by making customers sub to the LiLs in order to get the EPG for OTA channels but because it's a jury-rigged system, some channels don't work even if you do sub to LiLs.

You got it Walt. :cool:

At one point, some GOOD programmer at E* allowed the OTA guide (LiL data) to come through on the 921 even without a LiL subscription. An emergency "fix" came out a couple of days later. :(

No doubt, the programmer was fired for stealing from Charlie. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)