622 or 625

P

PJJAnthony

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 16, 2005
I want to take advantage of the Dishnitup promo. I currently have two 311s. I want to switch to a DVR receiver, but I don't have an HD TV but plan on getting one within the next 18 months. Will the HD 622 receiver still work on my non-HD TV, or will I have to get the SD 625 now and upgrade to the 622 when I get the HD TV?

Last edited:
K

KwestJones

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 8, 2006
625 is the SD Receiver....

I'd get the 625 if you don't think u'll get the TV before 18 months. After 18 months u can dish it up again. If you got the 622 you'd have to pay for the HD Programming or pay the HD Enabling Fee without having the TV to view.

G

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
Dish n' it Up is good for one per year. If you think you will get the HD TV before this time next year, go for the 622 HD receiver (and yes it will work on a non-HD tv. HD content will be down rezzed to sd). If you thnik you can wait, get the 625 sd receiver now and upgrade next year. Note: if you take the 622, you do have to order the HD package now at $20 per month less whatever discounts you get.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I think you have a typo or 2 in your post at the end.

The ViP622 will output to HDMI, component and S-video simultaneously, so you can feed just an SD TV if you want.

P

PJJAnthony

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 16, 2005
I think you have a typo or 2 in your post at the end.

The ViP622 will output to HDMI, component and S-video simultaneously, so you can feed just an SD TV if you want.

Yes, I corrected those. Thanks for the responses.

One more thing. Can I still upgrade even though I'm under a current 18 month contract (10 months into it), or do I have to wait.

C

caam1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 7, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
I would get the 622 because of the OTA tuner. In my area there are at least 10 digital sub-channels that are only available OTA. Also the HD channels look much, much better than the SD equivalents on Dish, even on a SD TV. The 622 works quit well with a SD TV, especially when connected with a component video cable. It will look as good or better than a DVD on the HD channels. (SD channels will not look better.) If you have no interest in OTA reception, or any of the channels in the HD pack, then get the 625 and save the $20 per month cost of the HD pack.

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Go with the 622 it is much better receiver and you can record 3 things at the same time: 2 sat tuners and one ota.