622 OTA Guide

jjjjjreynolds

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I've read a number of posts on this, but I'm still confused. I do not want to pay $5 for my locals, I get them OTA at this time, and E does not have HD locals in my area.

I run into a problem with two network programs at the same time and only one OTA tuner. If I split my OTA to the 622 and the tuner in my TV, can I record HD local OTA on the 622 and watch HD on the TV's tuner? Will that work?

And is it possible to pull up the OTA channels in the guide without subscribing to the satellite locals?

Providing the split doesn't degrogate the signal too much, yes you can split the OTA to watch one on your TV's tuner and record one on the 622. If you have problems you can also add an amp.

The answer to the guide question is no, not on the 622. You need to subscribe to your locals and dish must provide them in your DMA in order to receive the guide data info.

Providing the split doesn't degrogate the signal too much, yes you can split the OTA to watch one on your TV's tuner and record one on the 622. If you have problems you can also add an amp.

The answer to the guide question is no, not on the 622. You need to subscribe to your locals and dish must provide them in your DMA in order to receive the guide data info.

I have the OTA signal split and do not notice any quality difference between the two.

You won't notice a change in PQ if you have a strong enough signal to split. If you are getting a picture, there was not enough of a degrgation of signal strength to cause a problem. However, if the signal isn't strong enough after it's split, then you will not get a lock on the channel and you will lose the picture or have it break up to where it isn't watchable.

Last edited:
I have mine split and my Dell 4201C can't lock onto the HD signal from my local FOX station, but the 622 can, with a signal strength in the mid 70's.

I was wondering if a signal booster on the OTA antenna can help a digital signal?

Generally, a pre-amp helps for distant, weak stations.

A distro amp helps for multiple and long coax runs.

Over the years, I've come to view this process as more art than science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)