622 OTA Questions

bikeman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Gibraltar Michigan
Hi All

Thinking of Finally Taking Advantage of Dish Networks 622 VIP Receiver OVER the AIr Capabilites but have a few quesitons first.

Question Number 1. Any Additional Fees For SD/HD OTA Locals?
Question Number 2. Will it only be available on TV 1
Question Number 3 Indoor antenna work with it?
Question Numbe 4. Can We Save Money on our package getting locals over the air?

Or Is there a way to get DIgital Sub Channels on our satellite subscripted locals, precisely Digital Sub Channel of Wxyz 7, Retro TV

THanks for all your time in advance

1. Dish charges $5.00 per mo for locals, SD & HD You will want them for your Programming Guide, otherwise, the guide will only show "Digital Service"
2. Yes. But if you subscribe, TV2 will get SD locals.
3. Yes, provided you are close enough to your towers.
4. No, not if you want them in the guide

You should get all your local subs when you subscribe to locals.

Hi All

Thinking of Finally Taking Advantage of Dish Networks 622 VIP Receiver OVER the AIr Capabilites but have a few quesitons first.

No.

Yes.

Maybe. Check www.antennaweb.com or www.tvfool.com to see signal strengths for OTA in your area to see if an indoor antenna will be strong enough to pick up your channels

Yes, but if you don't subscribe to your locals, you won't get the guide data. It will just say "Digital Service" on the OTA channels.

Or Is there a way to get DIgital Sub Channels on our satellite subscripted locals, precisely Digital Sub Channel of Wxyz 7, Retro TV

THanks for all your time in advance

Not sure I understand exactly what you're asking here, but your OTA channels will show up in the guide under your regular local channels.

Hope that helps!

Well Right Now don't get the new sub channel that our local station is clearing after the Digital TV Transition is one thing i meant by all these questions

Suppose to have Classic TV shows for example, Adam 12, EMERGENCy, Leave it to Beaver among other shows of the classic nature. Suppose to be on Digital 7.2 Sub Channel, currently we are subscribed to Locals thru Dish, but some reason Sub Channels we don't receive, we have the main Channel 7 Channel, but i guess to get the sub channels need over the air antenna.

To the best of my knowledge, OTA is the only way to get the sub-channels. Dish just doesn't offer them.

#2. Live viewing will only be available at TV1. But if something is recording or already recorded from one of the OTA channels, you can view it on TV2 just like any other recording.

To the best of my knowledge, OTA is the only way to get the sub-channels. Dish just doesn't offer them.

#2. Live viewing will only be available at TV1. But if something is recording or already recorded from one of the OTA channels, you can view it on TV2 just like any other recording.

Correct--and if you start recording the OTA channel on TV1 you can then view it immediately on TV2.:)

Ed

Or if you are in single mode you can view and control OTA through TV2.

If you are having any trouble with new channels after the transition, like I did, remove the antenna, scan for locals (clearing the memory), reconnect and rescan, the missing channels should come back.

To summarize & clarify:

#1 - There are no fees for OTA locals, but there are for Dish Subscribed locals
#2 - You can view OTA channels on TV2 in single mode or if you record a program in dual-mode and then play the recording on TV2 (even up to live TV).
#3 - Many indoor antenna's work with OTA on the dish receiver, basically whatever antenna you used prior to get the signal on your other setup/tv.
#4 - You can save money if you drop the dish subscribed local fee and only get the locals over the air (OTA). You won't get the proper guide info, but you will save money compared to paying dish for the locals.

If you are on a tight budget it's worth saving the money, but if not - it sure is nice to have the guide data for the locals by paying Dish for them. Plus then you can record another local channel program while watching/recording one OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)