622 OTA Signal Strength

ripnbigc

Freeze Sucker!
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Wichita, Ks
Starting last night my local cw channel started pixelating really bad. I'd never paid attention to the signal meter before because this is the first time it's done this. The meter as reading a steady 65. Does anyone know the lower threshold of signal strength that allows a good picture. Maybe the local channel was having problems.:confused:

Starting last night my local cw channel started pixelating really bad. I'd never paid attention to the signal meter before because this is the first time it's done this. The meter as reading a steady 65. Does anyone know the lower threshold of signal strength that allows a good picture. Maybe the local channel was having problems.:confused:
I have been having the same problem with my replacement 622. I'm 17 miles from the NYC stations broadcasting from I believe the Empire State Building and this OTA tuner cant hold a signal @ high 60's. WWOR (9.1) is the worst it just cant grab the signal. I have tried to tune/turn my 6 month old RS antenna which is about 35 feet up with a pretty good line-of-site. I dont know if its a software problem or just a bad tuner. Had no such problems with my old 622 returned for bad HDMI port.

If nothing else changed, as in your antenna moved, changed receivers, etc, is it possible that the CW station decreased their power for some reason ??

This just started last thursday. Nothing on my end has changed. I had recorded Smallville and it was unwatchable. Just checked the station and it's still terrible. I emailed the station, but haven't heard back yet. I think I read in one of the threads that some people thought it was the last software download.

I've read nothing regarding the 622's ATSC tuner and the latest software update causing signal strength issues. The last update was sent a couple of weeks ago too. You should have noticed this before last Thursday.

Since 365

I've read nothing regarding the 622's ATSC tuner and the latest software update causing signal strength issues. The last update was sent a couple of weeks ago too. You should have noticed this before last Thursday.
365 caused my OTA's to weaken. I contacted E* and they told me it was a know issue and was to be addressed soon. Here is the question and reply.

Question: Get this right this time don't send me form letter about
satellite signal loss. This is about ATSC OTA channels. I sent this to you
the 1st and you sent me the form letter about satellite signal loss.
Since the VIP622 firmware update 3.65 took place thursday night 2 things
have happened. 1 The audio problems seem to have stopped (that's the good
news). 2 The signal strengths for all my OTA ATSC digital channels have
dropped about 10 points (this is the bad news). It has caused me to
completely loose the local 28-1 over the air SD digital TV
signal. It will it will sometimes lock on to the signal but often it will
not. My old Panasonic TU-HDS20 tuner will still lock onto the signal all
the time. This has made it so I can no longer DVR the digital signal from
KAMC TV in Lubbock , TX . In fact because of this all I got for my records
(there were 3) was a jumbled mess that was completely unwatchable. I have
checked all of the OTA channels and all show the weakening in signal
strength.

Thank you for your e-mail. Our engineering department is aware of this issue; it has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible. It will be resolved with a software update in the near future. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml.

Thanks,

Matt J.

Technical E-mail Support

Dish Network

That's the first time I've read anything like that.... Interesting because not many people have had trouble or at least not enough that it caused signal drops (and have posted about it). Then again, every time you tune to an OTA channel, you get a brief signal strength display. If it changed drastically -- a 10 point drop is "drastic", IMO -- I'm sure people would have noticed. For what it's worth, mine haven't dropped AT ALL.

365 caused my OTA's to weaken. I contacted E* and they told me it was a know issue and was to be addressed soon. Here is the question and reply.

Question: Get this right this time don't send me form letter about
satellite signal loss. This is about ATSC OTA channels. I sent this to you
the 1st and you sent me the form letter about satellite signal loss.
Since the VIP622 firmware update 3.65 took place thursday night 2 things
have happened. 1 The audio problems seem to have stopped (that's the good
news). 2 The signal strengths for all my OTA ATSC digital channels have
dropped about 10 points (this is the bad news). It has caused me to
completely loose the local 28-1 over the air SD digital TV
signal. It will it will sometimes lock on to the signal but often it will
not. My old Panasonic TU-HDS20 tuner will still lock onto the signal all
the time. This has made it so I can no longer DVR the digital signal from
KAMC TV in Lubbock , TX . In fact because of this all I got for my records
(there were 3) was a jumbled mess that was completely unwatchable. I have
checked all of the OTA channels and all show the weakening in signal
strength.

Thank you for your e-mail. Our engineering department is aware of this issue; it has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible. It will be resolved with a software update in the near future. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml.

Thanks,

Matt J.

Technical E-mail Support

Dish Network

I have had this problem ever since I had the 622 installed about 3 weeks ago. I can not lock a signal on 622 , but my tv and 811 have no problem. This is the first time I have seen a reply from E* saying it was a known issue. I have been on other forums so mush they told me to quit complaining an drop the subject...

Fred

Saw you over there

No one said stop complaining. What was said is different tuners have different abilities. Some have good signal discrimination, some work well in multi-path, some only work with a clean signal. In the thread you are referring to. I mentioned I have 4 HDTV OTA tuners 2 work about the same, the other 2 are different. Here is what I have. 2 Vooms they don't do well with a weak signal that has multi-path, the 622 is better and it is hard to believe that my oldest unit the Panasonic TD-HU20 has least problem w/ multipath,but can be driven to overload easier. It would have been nice if the 622 would have gotten the newest chip out there that rejects both multipath and overload but it was designed before that chip came out. The perfect unit is always going to come out in the future. That is how the electronics business keeps being able to come out w/ new equipment the we want to have (and continue to sell it to us).

I have had 2 622's with 365 and very different OTA signal strengths over the last month. This issue is obviously not affecting all receivers.

By the way,

"Thank you for your e-mail. Our engineering department is aware of this issue; it has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible. It will be resolved with a software update in the near future. We apologize for the inconvenience."

is a form letter!

Last edited:
Since the last software upgrade, I have gone from basically no signal loss problems to occasional losses. my strength indicators do not appear drastically different, but I am definately seeing more pixelization and occasional signal losses

for me, the change resulted in a clear reduction in quality of service.

way back when they released the software, I asked what they were doing to fix the problem.

they ignored

i asked again what they are doing to fix the problem

they said thank you and quality is important

i said thank, but now back to the question, what are you doing to fix the problem

they ignore

i went away unhappy.

such is the quality of their service.

This started hapening to me on Friday. I has been the worst on FOX. My signal strenth is in the low 70s for Fox, but I have been experiencing quite a bit of pixilation and periodic signal loss. The rest of my OTA channels seem ok, CBS is the best with a signal strength of 93.

I checked last night and all of a sudden my signal for CW has junmped up to 87. I never did get an answer from the station, but it must of been them because nothing else has changed.

I checked last night and all of a sudden my signal for CW has junmped up to 87. I never did get an answer from the station, but it must of been them because nothing else has changed.
Looks like I guessed good earlier....

If nothing else changed, as in your antenna moved, changed receivers, etc, is it possible that the CW station decreased their power for some reason ??

129 and rain?

Faq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)