622 OTA Tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
I just upgraded to a Vip 622 and I have a few questions about the OTA tuner. I have a OTA antenna connected and it works great. However I quickly noticed you only get the OTA stations on TV1 and not TV2. What is the best way to deliver the OTA stations to TV2 to get the best quality signal? Just split the OTA coming in or is there a better way that anyone knows of?

The reason I ask is my locals on on the turdbird 129 and anytime it so much as fogs up I lose the 129. Thats why I would like to have the OTA locals on both sets.

On TV1, start recording the OTA program. Then go to TV2 and watch the DVR recording. You'll only be a few seconds behind. That's it, that's THE workaround.

Thanks to Darth Murdoch, we only use the term "turdbird" to refer to DirecTV. Our preferred word for 129 is ......... not printable here. ;)

If you have a LOS to 61.5, you'll be much happier. You might list your location, it would help out in determining things such as the likelihood you could "see" 61.5.

I "assumed" in my first response that you were looking to go OTA to drop the locals and would not need 129 anymore, or if you're an HD customer, you could move to 61.5. But yes, it may be simpler to use a splitter. However, you will lose about 3db, IIRC, with a splitter, and this may degrade your reception. So a feed thru the DVR may be better. Of course, we are talking about digital only channels here, so if you need analog channels, a splitter is the way to go. If the signal degrades too much with a splitter, you could try a distribution amp (or possibly a preamp).

I have no problems with this. I simply connect the RCA connectors (TV2 on the back of the 622) to the RCA Video/Audio in on my second tv and it all works just fine.

EDIT - OOOps - I believe I am mistaken.

Last edited:
I have no problems with this. I simply connect the RCA connectors (TV2 on the back of the 622) to the RCA Video/Audio in on my second tv and it all works just fine.

EDIT - OOOps - I believe I am mistaken.

Edit 2 - Yes, this is how I do it but I have my TV's mirroring each other. The best bet would be splitting your OTA (Assuming that TV 2 has a tuner). Also, doing this will get you an HD picture if TV two is HD.

Yeah I have some more colorful names for the 129 as well but they arent printable.

Yes I am a HD customer and I recieve the Salt Lake City Locals. I have thought about pointing a seperate dish 500 at 129 but I have never seen it pick up that much more signal than my dish 1000. As for the 61.5, I was under the impression that Salt Lake City locals are only on 129, not 61.5?

I'm in Salt Lake City too... will be getting a 622 on Monday so am also interested.

Yeah I have some more colorful names for the 129 as well but they arent printable.

Yes I am a HD customer and I recieve the Salt Lake City Locals. I have thought about pointing a seperate dish 500 at 129 but I have never seen it pick up that much more signal than my dish 1000. As for the 61.5, I was under the impression that Salt Lake City locals are only on 129, not 61.5?

Yes, that's why I was "assuming" you wanted to drop LiL and go solely OTA. If you want LiL you need 129. You could get a better signal, I hear (as you mention), by having a separate Dish 500 (or better yet, a 24" dish) aimed at 129. 61.5 is probably not a good choice from SL, unless you're up a mountain on the east side.

If you're near Draper, say hello to Rulon & Jo for me. ;)

Thats what I thought. Ill have to throw up a D500 on a temp pad and plug into the DPP twin. I have never seen it boost the signal that much but I cant do much else to fix it. Maybe one day they will put a real working satellite at 129. You would think it would be a higher priority as more and more people get MPEG 4 recievers with HD.

Replacement is about 2 years away. It's not an Echostar slot, they rent from someone else.