622 "pause bar" burn in

rwcmick

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i've got a crt projection tv and the "pause bar" on my 622 has started to burn into the screen. sometimes i'll pause the tv over 10 - 20 minutes and over the course of the year is seems to have slowly burned in a rectangular box. you can only see the box on a light colored background, but it is annoying and i don't want it to get worse.

any way i can get the pause bar to time out after a set amount of time or am i forced to turn off the receiver for long pauses?

Why not just turn the TV off while the DVR is on pause more than a minute or so? That's what I do.

Jay

You must be pausing a lot and for a long period of time. I don't see 10-20 mins at a time doing it. But either way, as suggested, your best bet is to just turn the tv off.

Why not just turn the TV off while the DVR is on pause more than a minute or so? That's what I do.

Jay

jay,

that does work, but it's a pain:

the tv draws a nice bit up juice each time it powers back up (the lights flicker a bit) and there is a pause before the picture returns to the screen (just like most sony's do).

also, what if i want to study something under the pause bar? i currently have to run in slow mo to check things out.

my old 501/508s would show the pause symbol for a bit and then disappear...

You should be able to do this work around after you pause.

Press the skip back key then press cancel twice.

Just switch the t.v. to a unused input after you pause the 622.The screen will go black,but the set will still be on.Also,you should set up you Sony properly.The contrast and brightness need to be adjusted.I've had my Hitachi for 5 years and I have no burn in. Use Avia or even the THX Opti-Vision feature on some DVD's.

my old 501/508s would show the pause symbol for a bit and then disappear...

My 508 would keep the pause symbol on the screen and it did cause burn in over the several years of use. It would have been nice if it disappeared.

As Petemc11 suggested, switch to un-used input is the best overall method. As for the bar itself blocking something you wish to see, just press forward arrow once. Picture will advance a frame or two but long bar will be gone.

This works on the 942...

...so maybe it will work on the 622.

After hitting pause, hit the skip forward button one time. The bar goes away, and after 10 seconds or so the Skip icon goes away too. I do this all the time to read the vanity card at the end of "Two and a Half Men."

...so maybe it will work on the 622.

After hitting pause, hit the skip forward button one time. The bar goes away, and after 10 seconds or so the Skip icon goes away too. I do this all the time to read the vanity card at the end of "Two and a Half Men."
It works on the 622, in fact, I was suprised that N0QCU did not say that.

Not to avoid burn-in, but to read the fine print on the bottom of the screen, I often do it.

It works on the 622, in fact, I was suprised that N0QCU did not say that.

Not to avoid burn-in, but to read the fine print on the bottom of the screen, I often do it.

I didn't know this either! Good to know because I know a few times I tried to read something blocked by the pause bar before. Thanks!

As Petemc11 suggested, switch to un-used input is the best overall method. As for the bar itself blocking something you wish to see, just press forward arrow once. Picture will advance a frame or two but long bar will be gone.
doesn't the bar re-appear after a few moments?

Cyclone:
I don't think so, but maybe after awhile it will.

However, I'm from Louisiana, and still have plenty of time to read and understand it.:D

Need:
Your welcome, but someone posted it on the forum 3 or 4 months ago. Don't remember here, but I'm sure they know we all appreciate it.:)

EDIT:
Thanks for the correction - I forgot about the CANCEL.:rolleyes:

PAUSE : SKIP FWD : CANCEL : CANCEL

Four pushes of a button and all on-screen graphics are gone.

Works great for me. That pause bar covers too much of the screen. I need to read or just look over the screen sometimes to see what is happening.

Also be sure the brightness and contrast are turned down below 50%. If you leave it at the factory settings you are asking for burn-in.

i've got a crt projection tv and the "pause bar" on my 622 has started to burn into the screen. sometimes i'll pause the tv over 10 - 20 minutes and over the course of the year is seems to have slowly burned in a rectangular box. you can only see the box on a light colored background, but it is annoying and i don't want it to get worse.

any way i can get the pause bar to time out after a set amount of time or am i forced to turn off the receiver for long pauses?

Well, I know a lot of folks with CRT projection who have easily burned images, mostly the broadcaster bug with the time and channel during the local morning shows. I'm not being factitious, but CRT projection is pretty old technology and is notorious for easy burn in, and the real remedy is VERY expensive. So, why not take advantage of the superior big screen technology available today? Prices have come down a lot. You will get better picture quality, (IMHO), greater angle for viewing, and be less likely to suffer burn in.
Hoping you find the best solution.

So, why not take advantage of the superior big screen technology available today? Prices have come down a lot. You will get better picture quality, (IMHO), greater angle for viewing, and be less likely to suffer burn in.

All valid except finding to the money to replace a large investment from awhile ago that still works. :)

I have two of the latest Pioneer plasmas and I am noticing a slight burn in from the pause bar on the screen we use everyday. I rarely leave the DVR paused at any one time for very long.

I think it would be a nice feature for the pause bar to be randomly displaced everytime pause is hit and after a few seconds it shifts positions slightly.

Wouldn't a slight (hardly noticeable) displacement help immensely with screen burn in?

The new sets have dropped in price dramatically over the past two years -- I'd suggest trading up -- works with wives and should work for your display!

I have a rear projection Sony LCD with no burn-in whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts