622 "pause bar" burn in

i've got a crt projection tv and the "

I must be retarded, but what is a "CRT projection tv?" I never heard of that model. I've installed and qcd thousands of sites, and I have seen:

CRT
Rear Projection
front projection (that thing looked like a jukebox + it was old--really old)
straight up projector, like a theater
Plasma
LCD

but never a crt projection. What is this?

I thought CRTs didn't burn in like projection screens. That is one reason I bought a high quality CRT instead of a much larger projection set.

Edit: googled it. Hitachi must be the king of them, because they were at the top of the list. 3 crt's and a magnifying glass? interesting.

Last edited:
jay,

that does work, but it's a pain:

the tv draws a nice bit up juice each time it powers back up (the lights flicker a bit)

If your lights are flickering whenever you turn your TV on, you have other things to worry about, you need to have an electrician check that out.

I have two of the latest Pioneer plasmas and I am noticing a slight burn in from the pause bar on the screen we use everyday. I rarely leave the DVR paused at any one time for very long.

I think it would be a nice feature for the pause bar to be randomly displaced everytime pause is hit and after a few seconds it shifts positions slightly.

Wouldn't a slight (hardly noticeable) displacement help immensely with screen burn in?

As JIM5506 mentioned, turn down your contrast. There is no way you should experience burn-in on a TV made in the last four or five years. At one point in time, CRT and plasma were vulnerable to burn in, but any more, the only time you see burn in is on a TV that hasn't been properly set up. Buy a calibration DVD, or even just fire up the THX calibration on a THX DVD and get that contrast down to a reasonable level. Its not too late to save that Pioneer!

Last edited:
At one point in time, CRT and plasma were vulnerable to burn in but [not] any more

That is not true at all, CRTs and Plasmas are just as open to burn-in as ever (if not more with CRTs), the phosphorus is the SAME chemical makeup as it has always been, new CRT's and Plasmas still use phosphorus, it may be that someone selling some product told you otherwise, but I assure you, there have been no new leaps in phosphorus chemical makeup.

Proper calibration _can_ lower the occurance rate of burn-in though.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_sets_avail.html

That is not true at all, CRTs and Plasmas are just as open to burn-in as ever (if not more with CRTs), the phosphorus is the SAME chemical makeup as it has always been, new CRT's and Plasmas still use phosphorus, it may be that someone selling some product told you otherwise, but I assure you, there have been no new leaps in phosphorus chemical makeup.

Just to add some prospective.

The latest Crutchfield catalog states "potential for burn-in" for LCD, DLP, LCoS & SXRD at "none" while Plasmas still have "moderate" potential.

They also say: "Plasma is still vulnerable to screen burn-in, but it's much less of a problem on current models, which include effective burn-in-reduction features".

You mis-read my post, then changed what I said by adding "not" to the sentence.

Maybe I should have stated it differently.

but any more, the only time you see burn in is on a TV that hasn't been properly set up.

Under normal viewing circumstances, a properly calibrated CRT or Plasma display should not experience uneven phosphor wear. I would consider pausing your DVR as normal viewing circumstances. A friend of mine has a 4 year old Mitsubishi CRT rear projection that still looks spectacular. It gets a lot of use, including a LOT of time with his PS/2, and there isn't even a hint of burn in because he keeps his TV properly calibrated. If that guy is seeing burn-in on a new Pioneer Plasma, it is because that TV is not set up correctly. It has nothing to do with the status bar shown when pausing the TV. He is ruining his TV by not having it properly set up. Simple as that.

My Hitachi is 4.5 years old and was ISF calibrated 2 months after purchase.It looks fantastic.No burn-in. In fact, I love the film-like look and the inky blacks.It has a depth that I have not seen on any set under $5,000.My set, IMHO, has a better overall picture then my buddy's new 60" SXRD that I calibrated for him.His looks good,but even he loves the picture on mine better. We think it has a more natural look.

You mis-read my post, then changed what I said by adding "not" to the sentence.

Maybe I should have stated it differently.

but any more, the only time you see burn in is on a TV that hasn't been properly set up.

Under normal viewing circumstances, a properly calibrated CRT or Plasma display should not experience uneven phosphor wear. I would consider pausing your DVR as normal viewing circumstances. A friend of mine has a 4 year old Mitsubishi CRT rear projection that still looks spectacular. It gets a lot of use, including a LOT of time with his PS/2, and there isn't even a hint of burn in because he keeps his TV properly calibrated. If that guy is seeing burn-in on a new Pioneer Plasma, it is because that TV is not set up correctly. It has nothing to do with the status bar shown when pausing the TV. He is ruining his TV by not having it properly set up. Simple as that.

Fair enough, was not trying to make trouble. :)

Suggestion:

Recently, I was experiencing flickering lights when I powered up my 60" Hitachi Ultravision LCD. Ignored it at first, but it gradually got worse. Eventually it got to the point where I'd power up the tv and the breaker would turn off. So I started to worry (needless to say).

Turns out the breaker was going bad. I went to the hardware store, bought the correct breaker, popped out the old one and put the new one in, and now everything is perfect. No flickering lights or tripped breakers when turning on the big tv.:eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts