622 PiP feature

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I don't play around with my 622's feature set all that much. But today I was desirous of watching two football games at the same time. So I used the PiP feature for the first time in several months.

My biggest gripe about how E* has implemented PiP is that none of 9 locations are really out into one of the corners, so they are always blocking more of center image than I prefer.

But to my delight, what I found out that I didn't know before is that the 622 buffers both channels. So if I missed a play in the small PiP window, I could hit SWAP then replay to watch it. Better yet, when I hit PiP again to switch it off, the 622 still continued to buffer the 2nd channel, so that when I activated the PiP window again, I could scroll back through the buffer to see what I missed.

I don't play around with my 622's feature set all that much. But today I was desirous of watching two football games at the same time. So I used the PiP feature for the first time in several months.

My biggest gripe about how E* has implemented PiP is that none of 9 locations are really out into one of the corners, so they are always blocking more of center image than I prefer.

But to my delight, what I found out that I didn't know before is that the 622 buffers both channels. So if I missed a play in the small PiP window, I could hit SWAP then replay to watch it. Better yet, when I hit PiP again to switch it off, the 622 still continued to buffer the 2nd channel, so that when I activated the PiP window again, I could scroll back through the buffer to see what I missed.

I use that a lot, best way to watch a 2 games same time.:)

I really want side by side picture in picute like most TVs have. Now that's a good way to watch two games on a big TV!!

Really? My 57in Hitachi RPTV will do it even if both sources are HD (I have two 622's hooked up to it)

I didn't say all TV's. :) Just most of them that I have seen. It would be nice if the 622 or other receivers could do it at the box. Then you could with have up to 4 different games on with your 2 622's on the tv :)

Yep, I hear they are working on this. Let's hope!

Man, that'd be great...then I could watch the Vols play like a bunch of girls on one half while watching Texas totally blow it on the other half! Yes!! :D

Does the 622 use the PIP method from the 721? The 721 would let you pause one of the PIP then you can hide it in the corner(without destroying the pause buffer). When you hide it, it would just become a small TV icon on the screen.

Does the 622 use the PIP method from the 721? The 721 would let you pause one of the PIP then you can hide it in the corner(without destroying the pause buffer). When you hide it, it would just become a small TV icon on the screen.

It's similar, but not the same. You don't get the small little TV icon and although you could pause the background tuner, once you switch to it, it brings you to live. You then have to go and rewind to get to where you left off.

I am a new Dish Network subscriber and just signed up a few hours ago. I haven't gotten my equipment, but had a question on the 622's PiP feature. Does it only work in single mode?

It's similar, but not the same. You don't get the small little TV icon and although you could pause the background tuner, once you switch to it, it brings you to live. You then have to go and rewind to get to where you left off.

Sounds exactly like the 625/522. I wish Dish would use the PIP from the 721.

POP preference

I have always wanted the Picture on Picture ability as well..... I hardly ever use the Picture in Picture feature since it covers so much of the window. I hope Dish will enable this feature sometime soon too.

Hopefully they are listening! :)

they announced on TechForum a new SIDE BY SIDE / split sceen PIP coming out next month

They also said it would keep track of the buffer so you did not go back to live when you switch. This is what was driving me nuts having a Tivo, too. Thanks DISH! Have both D* & E* DISH seems to listen to their customers and Direct does not. This must change in the future. Again DISH thanks for making this change starting around next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts