622 PIP Swap Reboots Reciever

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
Anyone else w/this problem. Went to use my PIP option on my 622 last night and what did it do when I went to swap the pictures - it rebooted. It happed each and everytime - 4 that I did and 2 with the Dish tech. It had no problems displaying the second channel but when I pressed the "Swap" button the reciever rebooted. I unplugged the unit, rebooted with the "Power" switch and called Dish. After about 15 minutes of checking and adjusting my signal strength the tech put me hold only to come back and tell me it was hardware issue and my reciever needed to be replaced. So it looks like I'll have a new 622 in five days. Has anyone had this problem with any of their recievers?

"hardware issue" - bah. It didn't happen till last night because it wasn't broken till L3.59 was released yesterday. Saw some threads on here last night about that same issue.

AIsmail said:
Thanks so much. Got to love the customer service reps at Dish. Now lets see if they actually send me a new one.

THey'll send replacements if you scream loud enough...my brother just received his THIRD 622, trying to get one that will work right. Havent hooked it up yet, though.

Funny thing is that I didn't even scream. I went through all the csr's signal strength bs and this and that. I knew it didn't have anything to do with my dishes or my signal strength but I humored him. Finally he tells me he has to check on thing and then puts me on hold. A few minutes later he came to tell me my unit needed to be replaced. At first he wanted to charge $14.99 for shipping and handling but I asked if he could something about that and he said he would wave the fee. Then he told me I'd have it in five days. Honestly my original unit which has given me no problems is a little dinged up on top. It arrived that way and I never did anything about it cause I figured no one at Dish would listen. Anyhow maybe this time I'll get a unit in better condition and just work around the swap PIP problem till the next software update.

Just like the 921 - the low-level idiot CSRs will send replacements over and over until someone farther up the food chain (ie. is able to spell "software") puts a stop to it. Then, NO ONE will be able to get an RMA even if it's caught fire. :mad:

OK, did ANYONE get a substantial bug fixed in this release, or did killing the PIP become the only "improvement" with this release?

It killed my Tuesday night timers (0 minute recordings). I unplugged the power inserter and unplugged the receiver, as it somehow screwed up my tuner 2 recordings. Everything is fine on the tuner front now, although since I only have it hooked up in single mode on one TV, I am stuck with the PIP bug unless I want to put it in dual mode.

Is ANYONE testing these releases?

BobMurdoch said:
since I only have it hooked up in single mode on one TV, I am stuck with the PIP bug unless I want to put it in dual mode.

Is there more than one bug, or are people confusing dual mode and shared mode? Mine works fine in single mode in shared mode. I haven't actually tested non-shared mode really, as I can't see why it even exists unless it's in case you're watching something you don't want anyone to stumble across on the 2nd TV.

Dunno....my PIP/Swap works AOK with 3.59. I always run in Single Mode & I've always had "Shared View" enabled, since I pipe the TV2 composite outputs to the VCR. The update to 3.59 kept my Shared View = Enabled & my swap doesn't cause a reboot. My 622 is a version D (I think....it might be version C).

re

You are not the only one with the PIP problem, i have this issue also and its not the hardware! its definately 3.59 upgrade. Good ol dish.

Thanks again everyone. I got me new 622 yesterday and I thought about swapping it out with my current model but after hearing how vast the problem is, I can't imagine things changing. I also have about 100 hours of programing that I would lose. Add to the fact that I've never had a problem w/my HDMI connection. So I guess I'll call Dish today and see about sending back the new 622. Hopefully they won't give me too hard a time. Funny thing is that I actually need the unit to be in shared mode so that I could connect my DVD recorder and transfer programs off my hard drive.

I just found this bug and wanted to just sum up my findings.
Running In single mode with 3.59
the Swap causes the reboot on UNLESS you have shared view enabled.
As i only have 1 tv this is not a problem to enable.
This was covered above just thought id summarize the workaround for single mode users running 1 tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)