622 Recording OTA

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Can the 622 DVR watch and record OTA HD? If it can I could drop my sat. local channels. Currently I have a DVR that can only record my local channels through the sat. dish....since it doesn't have OTA local channels......I watch OTA HD through the HD box.

Epg ?

oljim said:
You can watch the ota locals but you will not get the EPG without the sat locals

Not sure what EPG is? Are you saying that I will not be able to record OTA local channels? Or you talking about the program guide? Please explain....:confused:

Guide?

Are you saying once I enter OTA channels into the HD DVR, that they don't show up in the program guide at all or is it that there is no recording info or something in the guide allowing easy scheduling? :confused:

Yes and Yes.The 622 does not include OTA's in the Electronic Program Guide. It only recognizes/displays channels delivered to it by Sat. With OTA's you are basically back to the old VCR level of manual programming...Channel #, start time, end time, etc.

Ota

So if I don't have local channels on the sat. then I will have no idea what's on, short of looking in a paper tv guide, or online somewhere?

Why did they go backwards with the capability of these units? I have an older Dish SD DVR that can display OTA channels in the guide....are there any HD DVR's being offered by Dish that can do this?

kirkdj said:
Why did they go backwards with the capability of these units? I have an older Dish SD DVR that can display OTA channels in the guide....are there any HD DVR's being offered by Dish that can do this?

If you OLD DVR displayed OTA, it's because you subscribed to them (local channels). No DVR/receiver has ever displayed OTA's/locals that the SAT does not deliver to it.

I get guide data on my 921 without subscribing to locals. However, I don't get them on my 942.

So, they did go backwards. I heard that the 942 and the 622 don't retrieve PSIP data. If that is really the case, then we'll never see guide data.

Does anyone really know officially?

Pg

I have an 811 HD box and the 522 DVR SD....it does allow me to scan and enter OTA channels, which do get PG info on those channels....I do subscribe for the local channels.....which show up as 7600+ channels because this DVR can't be set to record OTA channels....which require a channel setting of like 4.1 ....I can't enter the decimal between the two numbers.....so to record anything on local channels I must subscribe.

But the fact that the new HD DVR's don't show OTA PG info sucks....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)