622 Running Feature Request Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrfuda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
San Antonio, TX, USA
OK, saw a similair thread elsewhere, and figured, if we had running bug threads here, a feature request thread should be at home as well. Hopefully someone with the power to influence change will read this ;)

1 Use the internet to dial-out instead of the phone line (Dish interactive "account" features are super slow when you have to dial out)
2 Use the internet to access the guide and schedule recording
3 Use a home network to independatly access TV1 and TV2 guides and change channels with web-enabled home automation hardware/software - Essesntially a webserver in the 622 that serves TV1 and TV2 guides independantly and lets you click on a show to change channels...
4 Use of home network to send/stream programming stored on a VIP-622 to any other VIP-series receiver for playback.
5 The option of having the 622 map both SD and HD locals to local channel numbers, for example:
- SAT SD Channel 5 is listed as "5"
- SAT HD Channel 5 is listed as "5-00"
- OTA HD Channel 5 and subchannels are listed as "5-01," "5-02," etc.
This would be an enhancement to the existing method which makes you prioritize which SAT Local channels get priority, HD or SD, by adding a "both" option
6 DVR button goes directly to DVR instead of DOD/DVR page (user selectable).. oooh, someone said hit DVR twice, I'll give it a try
7 Use of external USB HDD to expand storage space seamlessly...1 option to have USB storage "added" to existing storage without having to specify recording to external device or anything like that
8 Ability to toggle closed captioning with one button, though I don't know how they'd upgrade the remotes.. They could, however, out out a discrete command for download for those of us with programable universal remotes.
9 An IR to UHF converter so an IR universal remote could be used in place of the UHF TV 2 remote... The "converter" would be placed in the TV 2 room and respond to Dish IR commands, converting them to UHF for reception by the VIP-622's UHF remote antenna. You would program the TV2 universal remote just like you would program a remote for TV1, but on a different IR channel.
10 Option to disable DOD and reclaim all that HDD space
11 Specification of new or repeat in guide info so "new episodes" works reliably when recording
12 Be able to adjust the transparancy levels for overlaid graphics like info, and the playback bar
13 Move the HD channels out of the 9000's (I've used locks to hide all of the PPV and other junk so there's not so much menu to go through, even if one of our favorites lists are not displayed - my wife always seems to toggle out of the favorites and all sub lists...)
14 Dedicated keys for "Cancel" and "OK," perhaps mapped from keys that are not used during data entry like the skip buttons (voripteth)
15 Ability to queue multiple recording for playback and/or recording to external device (VCR, DVD burner, DVR, etc.) (riffjim4069)
16 Ability to switch between single/dual via remote (wied)
17 Ability initiate the recording of another channel in the background without interrupting what you're currently watching. (LER)
18 Ability to organize recordings using folders/categories and assign timers to place recordings in folder/category automatically (mike123abc & mdntblu)
19 Option to enable automatic deletion of oldest episode after "X" episodes (user defined) (mike123abc)-OK, this one's already a feature.
20 Ability to "undelete" deleted recordings - deleted recordings are removed from the DVR list, but not over written until the HDD begins to run out of space (mike123abc)
21 Allow user defined mapping of locals to overcome limitations of current configuration when locals decide to use a subchannel other than X-1 to carry their main feed. Currently local guide info is mapped to X-1 only (abricko)
22 Allow native resolution pass through
23 Allow resolution remapping (map everything to one resolution, or map everything 720p or less to 720p, and pass 1080i native, or other combinations)
24 Allow a remote button combination to change resolution on the fly (abricko)
25 Ability to share and/or copy favorites lists between TV1 and TV2 (abricko)
26 Ability to assign a name to a manual timer (abricko)
27 Ability to automatically search for a repeat presentation of something you're watching, or something in the guide that has already started and create a time to recor dit without interupting whatever you're watching at the time... for example, pressing info not only gives you summary information, but also lists the next several presentations of the same show/episode. (Chop-Chop)
28 Optional, audio feedback for the skip buttons (so you know the receiver knows you sent it a skip command)
29 Automatic searching for and/or displayed list of alternative recording times for timers when there is a conflict
30 A modulated HD output (for example, output on ATSC 3-1.... may be a hardware limitation though) This would allow you to have HD on both TV1 and TV2
31 Ability to set TV Type for TV2 (in case you have a 16:9 TV2)
32 Ability to keep live video playing in more submenus, like the search box
33 Option to automatically record a show from a non-OTA source when there is a confflict. For example, if I want to record from 4-1 and 12-1 at the same time, the 622 would use my priorites, recording the higher priority show from the -1 channel (or whatver your locals' main subchannel is), and the lower priority show from the -0 channel
34 User-defined skip intervals, instead of the defualt 30/10 seconds
35 Color controls to allow better matching of the 622 to your set and other components it shares its input with, and some built-in test patters, at least one each for color, white level, and black level (simple like the THC optimizer on DVDs). These could simply be three static images selcted via the menu.
36 Ability to use the OTA tuner on TV2 when TV1 is not using it
37 Longer pause time - maybe 2 hours
38 Ability to save preferences (favorites, locals, etc.) via ethernet or external HDD in case you get another box or have to get a replacement.
39 Ability to "unlock receiver until standby," So, you could unlock the receiver once the kids were in bed, and it would relock itself once you place it in standby, or after a user-defined number of hours, or time...(dmmsturm)
40 Recording and/or editing of an existing recording.. for example, saving just a single play of a 4-hour ballgame, an exceptionally funny clip from your favorite show, or a segment from a news cast. Better to devote a few minutes worth of recording time to save a clip, than have to devote the space required for the entire broadcast... (bub, Foxbat)
41 Integration of local channel PSIP information, especially for subchannels that are not available via the Dish guide (Jim5506)
42 Ability to copy MP3s to the receiver or attach an external HD with MP3s on it and the receiver be able to play them (wied)
43 local OTA channels that don't have Dish-supplied EPG data should notbe coded as "NR/AO" as opposed to "NR" or no rating at all. If you have children in your household and use the receiver ratings locks, you know what a pain it is to access OTA channels (Foxbat)
44 A version with a black faceplate or the ability to change faceplates (tclundin)
45 Ability to choose a tuner on the fly (overriding "record plus") (Mr_Crowley)
46 Ability to change the channel (or browse through channels) on the PIP screen while keeping the image on the full screen the same (barheel)
47 Expand event limit from 288 to 999 (voyagerbob)
48 5.1 audio out of the HDMI port. Since the HDMI port is capable of carrying the video and the audio signal, it should carry the full 5.1 signal so that we don't have to hook up the optical cable as well (cleblanc)
49 Get rid of the Annoying popup "Part of recording lost due to loss of signal" My OTA is weak at times and I lose a frame or two now and then... I have to keep hitting the OK button 100 times watching a show... I would rather just see it skip than the popup (nitstalker)

[PIE]
20 April 2006:I have edited the list again, adding summaries of what other contributors have posted here.

Try to limit feature requests to things that can be implemented via software
[/PIE]

Last edited:
There is a dedicated key to Cancel. I wish there was one for OK. I feel this is especially true when using the search function and entering keywords. There are just too many cursor movements to make this feature work.

I figure you can always give some other button like skip forward this functionality since it isn't used for data entry right now anyway.

have way to tell the box to just record stuff in the background and not change
sources .

Just had it screwup a copy to DVD I was doing :(

LER

#13 listed above... At least move the HDPPV, DEV1, etc out of the middle of the HD channel range so that you do not get stuck on them when using channel up/down surfing the HD. Yes I know you can channel up down to get off of them, but you have usually hit ok, or cancel or other stuff to get past. It is a pain.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to make folders in the DVR menu so that you can put recordings you want to save into different folders. It would really be cool if you could even specify where you want it filed in the timer entry so it automatically goes there.

Also it would be nice to have a save X# of episodes and auto delete them.

Have a trash can that you could look in for deleted recordings. It could save like 10% of the disk for free space at all times if it needs to or something like that, having a trash can would keep the DVR list tidy, 300 hours can be a super long list.

In response to #7 above, if there are encryption issues. At least you should be able to add an external hard drive for OTA recording. Having a 500GB OTA drive would be great and the satellite goes to the internal drive. This also solves the USB speed issue. Require the USB drive to be 2.0, then it could keep up with the 19.2mbit/sec possible stream without issue.

On thing I think would be a cool feature is this:

On the DVR section there should be categories that you setup kinda like your favorites. Then when you choose something to record you would put a category on it. For example: I already record lots of shows for my kids from Disney, Nick, etc. Well I would put those in the kids category. This way when I go to my DVR menu I choose which category I want and then it shows all the shows recorded in that category. My wife records her own shows etc as well. So we would all have our own DVR recorded shows lists. And of course this would be an option so you don't have to use it. This would also make it easier for my kids to get to their shows without having to scroll through the lists to find their specific ones. It would put theirs all in a row. Keeps them from accidently watching something us adults recorded that we don't want them watching.

The ability to add an external HD / SAN / Network storage... if they're worried about protecting it (law suits) here's what they do: we buy a Dish tested / approved external HDD (lets say a Maxtor or segate brand external HDD, thus avoiding generic chipsets in DIY enclosures and therefore avoiding potential bugs they can't test for) or they can sell a dish branded drive (i don't care i want more space), we plug it in, and the receiver *activates* this drive for use (maybe do some kind of formatting of the drive into a special dish hacked ext3 filesystem or something and encrypt it with a combo of your rid or sid) this would stop the average user from taking that drive and plugging it into the computer and extracting video off it (keeping MPAA and their providers happy)...

Personally i do not care about extracting stuff i recorded to watch on the computer, i have a nice tv and sound system for watching...

I only care about having enough space to record a full season of a few shows i watch in HD. I think the only thing the series 3 tivo has going for it is the eSATA port in the back... but Dish could still use the internal to do the recording and batch off the archiving to the *special* external... and for playback they could even have it do some pre-buffering to the internal / faster drive when you playback an archived show.

It's also be nice if i could run swiss center or some other uPNP server (on my compuer) to playback content from my computer: music, photos and video...

Allow us (those who use the OTA tuner, it's nice having 3 tuners) to choose how to map locals and the guide data provided by dish, especially if i'm forced to pay the montly locals fee only for guide data (actually i finally found a good use for dish locals, i'm using them to record shows which are still produced and broadcasted in 4x3 but the local network upconverts and or stretches them to kind of 16x9 and sorta fuzzy 1080i, or as i call it faking the HD and wasting my HD space).

As far as the output goes, if they don't want to pass whatever the proper source is to the tv make the 480 / 720 / 1080 fixed 622 output quickly changeable using a combo of buttons (like *7, *4, *1) switch that, or bring a pop up menu to let us choose, it'd be nice if i'm on a 720p program to switch quickly to 720p, let my tv do the scaling!

Ability to share / copy favorite lists to tv2...

Ability to assign a name to a manual timer...

I'm pretty happy with the receiver though, just hope they give us a way to record more!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would like to see a feature that I see in my Comcast HDDVR. Lets suppose that you watch a show and got to it 15 mins late (nothing is in the buffer). You decide that it is worthwhile to watch so you want tot record it in its entirety at at the next future data. If I want to view when it will air next I have to search for it. With Comcast I would just simply press info and then press upcoming times for this event and it would find all future instances. I already could have used this feature a couple of times.

This would be a great feature!

I've never seen this mentioned before.

How about allowing recording of a previous recording? For example, you watch a 4 hour sporting event and would like to save just a single play. You could record that play while watching the recording, then delete the entire recording and only have that single play saved.

This way, you wouldn't have the entire 4 hour recording taking up space when all you really want is that 1 minute play saved.

I don't see why this hasn't been thought of before nor do I see it being that big of a deal to implement.

George -bub

I second the resolution mapping. That is very much needed. I'm also for folders and the ability to find the next showing / alternate recording times. Another feature I'd like to see, is that the buffer would not be deleted when viewing a previously recorded show. There have been many times I'd like to watch a recorder show while a buffer for a current show is created

I just remembered two more important features... Grouping programs (similar to tivo) in the My Recordings list (they could even put a plus next to the program so you could hit select and it would expand like a tree and have a minus to colapse) this would make it easier to read, manage and choose content to playback.

Also would be nice for the timer option "all episodes" or "daily" to have a sub option of how many to record per day... for instance If I like cops and it shows like 900 times a day, if i set a timer for all episodes it may record a ton of them through out the day (which is not necessary), i know I can set max number to keep on the dvr but if i set this number too low i'll get that number of episodes which may be recorded and rerecorded in one day an not leaving me the opportunity to watch what has been recorded...

This feature is useful for programs in syndication which you'd like to keep maybe 5 or 6 of them on the dvr at all times but would like to have a random selection and not have your dvr/tuner spending all day looking for and recording extra programs you'll never watch.

I hope this is not a repeat, but I didn't see it:

ViP622 should use PSIP info for locals instead of having to subscribe to dish locals to get program info.

Probably will never happen because it's $$$ out of their pocket if people don't have incentive to pay for dish locals.

Last edited:
This is based on my 942, not a 622, but I'm assuming the function set is equivalent (except for VIP and MPEG4): I'd like the ability to trim the head and the tail off of a recorded event. Case in point: I recorded all of the Smallville episodes on HDNet that just wrapped up. Since HDNet doesn't show the usual 3-4 minutes of commercials between segments, the show ends somewhere around :45. I'd like to trim off the last x minutes to recover that space.

Also, again based on 942 behavior, I would like it if local OTA channels that don't have Dish-supplied EPG data weren't coded as "NR/AO" as opposed to "NR" or no rating at all. If you have children in your household and use the receiver ratings locks, you know what a pain it is to access OTA channels.

A model in black instead of silver

Or at least a black faceplate. I know aesthetics aren't everything, but I searched and searched for an HDTV with all-black bezel to match up with my other a/v equip. Now that was a waste, and the 622 will be the silver sore thumb.

Unless anyone has heard of someone out there machining and selling black faceplates for this situation.

Also, from an operational standpoint, I second (or third or whatever) the wish that it would use the ethernet port/home network/internet to do whatever is done via the phone line. Seems pretty inane for such an advance piece of equipment to still be using a phone line. I had the ol' TiVO weaned off the phone line years ago.

When setting up a timer I can chose which tuner does the recording, TV1 or TV2, on the fly. Right now you need to choose a prefered tuner.

Foxbat said:
This is based on my 942, not a 622, but I'm assuming the function set is equivalent (except for VIP and MPEG4): I'd like the ability to trim the head and the tail off of a recorded event. Case in point: I recorded all of the Smallville episodes on HDNet that just wrapped up. Since HDNet doesn't show the usual 3-4 minutes of commercials between segments, the show ends somewhere around :45. I'd like to trim off the last x minutes to recover that space.

Also, again based on 942 behavior, I would like it if local OTA channels that don't have Dish-supplied EPG data weren't coded as "NR/AO" as opposed to "NR" or no rating at all. If you have children in your household and use the receiver ratings locks, you know what a pain it is to access OTA channels.
I'm at work, not at home, but can't you set the recording to terminate 10 minutes early? I'll look at it when I get home this evening. Smallville episodes run about 50 minutes. I'd love to be able to port HD recordings to my computer before I get too much HD saved.