622 SD pic quality vs 811 SD quality

cdh1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
hello all, new to the site, love the great info. have a question about my impending upgrade.

We currently have a 811 reciever on a Sony 32" HD CRT. the high def pictgure is awesome. but, the SD picture quality is pretty terrible, especially compared to the standard cable picture quality we switched from.

is there any chance the 622 reciever will have better picture quality on our HD CRT when viewing SD channels?

thanks!

thanks for the info.

haven't tried the component inputs in a while. the problem with component inputs, is that i won't get a full screen when i'm watching SD. (the 4:3 pic inside a letter box). i usually switch to my video 1 input on the TV, which is just standard RCA cable input.

thanks for the info.

haven't tried the component inputs in a while. the problem with component inputs, is that i won't get a full screen when i'm watching SD. (the 4:3 pic inside a letter box). i usually switch to my video 1 input on the TV, which is just standard RCA cable input.

Perhaps that's a large part of the quality issue. Can't expect the best quality using the (almost) worst inputs...

The 622 produces an extremly nice SD picture on both of my TVs (one DLP and one LCD)

Over component an SD signal will be 4:3 with black bars on either side of the screen. You can stretch it, but I hate that. Composite will take a digital signal or HD signal and letterbox it.
S~

doug,
i have also changed my output to 480 (so that it fills the 4:3 screen), and viewed the SD channels thru my DVI connector, and the quality on SD content is almost identical to the SD content viewed thru RCA. it must be the compression of the SD signal on the 811.

So those of you who are saying that the 622 has better SD quality, are ya'll all using component inputs?

thanks, good info!!

doug,
i have also changed my output to 480 (so that it fills the 4:3 screen), and viewed the SD channels thru my DVI connector, and the quality on SD content is almost identical to the SD content viewed thru RCA. it must be the compression of the SD signal on the 811.

So those of you who are saying that the 622 has better SD quality, are ya'll all using component inputs?

thanks, good info!!

One TV is on component, the other is using component and HDMi as both outputs are active at the same time.

Which model of Sony you have? I had the 811 at one time and the SD picture was c***. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Very happy with the quality of both the 211 and 622.

S~

doug,

thanks, good info!!

Yes I'm using the component inputs for my SD too, but I also have a s-video input for late night viewing (married with children)for just the tv volume, but the component input gives the best picture for me!

teachsac,

don't know the exact model number, but its a Sony 32" CRT, high def screen, about 3 years old...with the big side speakers.

thanks, ya'll are giving me good hope for an improvement with the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts