622 + Storm + brief power outage = No OTA

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I already know the solution to this problem but I still have to wonder why.

As the title says there is a storm that blocked the signal and the power went out for 2 seconds and now I can't even watch ota channels. I would think the guide data would be stored on the hard drive and updated over time. Oh well.

I need a UPS.

No, I had that happen once to me. Pulling the plug for two seconds is not enough.

I did not reset the receiver. It did go through it's reboot routine. Once the storm weakened the guide data started downloading and I could change channels. I couldn't change channels during the storm due to the acquiring signal message. So what I did was start a recorded show and pressed the channel 011-01 and it would give me the acquiring signal message. lame.

I've been wanting a ups for a while and this will push me towards that.

Here's a steal on a ups at CDW. CDW Product Overview : APC Back-UPS NS 1250VA LCD 120V

My 722, TiVo and Dlp are backed up on a Belkin 325 volt UPS. It think it was $20 or $30 delivered from either Buy dot com or Amazon. Staples is a great place to check for technology clearance items. I picked up a UPS there for $10.

I couldn't change channels during the storm due to the acquiring signal message. So what I did was start a recorded show and pressed the channel 011-01 and it would give me the acquiring signal message. lame.

When you get the acquiring signal message press menu and then 1 on the remote. This will get you to the program guide and you can change channels.

When you get the acquiring signal message press menu and then 1 on the remote. This will get you to the program guide and you can change channels.

I did that but when the power goes out the guide data gets wiped. I got a message saying it's unavailable.

I picked up an apc 1250va from cdw's "B" stock for $65. Got it today and the box was a little mutilated but the ups was undamaged and unused. It still has the full mfg warranty.

UPS works great just don't plug anything except the DVR into the battery backup part. The DVR really is the only thing that can't recover instantly from a power outage.

UPS works great just don't plug anything except the DVR into the battery backup part. The DVR really is the only thing that can't recover instantly from a power outage.
I have to plug my surround sound receiver into it too because one time, and this only happened once for some reason, all the settings were wiped out. What a PITA to redo all the settings.

So I might as well plug the xbox 360 and the tv into it too. I think I will get about 5 min run time out of it with everything on. I haven't plugged anything into it yet. I'll report back on what it estimates runtime at.

Just don't plug a 50" plasma TV into it. I was not thinking about how much power they need to run and found out that the battery backup could not support the TV, receiver, and DVR.

Now I plug the TV and receiver into the surge protection side and the DVR into the battery backup side.

The 1250va is a big ups. The 622, 52" lcd, 1000W surround sound receiver and a 440W sub uses about 305W of power. The runtime estimate is 14min. With the xbox on runtime drops to 9 min and uses 450W.

I highly recommend picking one of these up. It's a $200 ups for $99. Frys was selling these a while back but that promotion ended a couple months ago. I thought I would never see this price again but here it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)