Broadband connection failed

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
I have my 722 hooked up to a router running DD-WRT in client mode, which bridges to my main router. Setup worked fine for a couple of years, until my main router needed replacement. After replacing the router I haven't been able to make it work since. Took me the longest time to just get into the DD-WRT router, finally was able to by resetting it then connecting wirelessly with my laptop. Resetting it put it back to the default settings, I was then able to put it back into Client mode. Went back and reset the connection in the 722 and it now gets an IP, Gateway, and both DNS' but still shows a "Not Connected" status.

I also have an XBox 360 hooked up to the same bridge, and it exhibits similar behavoir. Passes the "network" portion of the XBox Live Connection test, but fails at the next step "Internet". Gives a "cannot resolve DNS" error. However the DNS numbers listed are the same that show up in my laptop on a working connection (wirelessly straight from main router).

I'm far from a network guru, but to me this means that the bridge is working (provides IP, Gateway, and DNS to devices that are plugged in) but for some reason the main router isn't allowing requests to go out over the internet? I've rebooted everything (both routers, 722) but the problem remains. I can ping the IP given to the 722 from my laptop without problem.

Anyone got any ideas? Do I have to forward ports or something? I did notice a firewall setting in the main router so I tried disabling it. Didn't make any difference.

I don't know what your main router is,but in some cases, if you can get to the routers set up utility page, find the area that allows access by MAC address and enter it there. Reboot the system and see if it connects.

Hope this helps.....

It's a Linksys 160N. MAC filtering is disabled and all other devices (both wired and wireless) except those plugged into the "bridge" can get to the internet fine. Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe I'll try it tonight.

I suspect you're not yet set up correctly on that DD-WRT router. If you have it set up as a client, then it should pretend that it's wireless side is the WAN, and get it's WAN IP, gateway, and DNS from your main router. I gather that works. But then, as a client, it would normally be set with a different LAN address range, and have it's DHCP daemon enabled to give out it's own addresses to it's wired clients, such as your Xbox and 722. Is that how you set it up? If you entered the same address range on the DD-WRT router as exists on your main router, you are probably confusing it horribly.

One easy way around this nonsense is to set the DD-WRT into bridge mode. I don't have this software running anywhere, but I presume it has such a mode. In that case, it would go nearly transparent on you, and all it's wired clients would get their IP info from your main router and not the secondary router. If that's how it was set up before, that might explain why you couldn't get control of it without a reset to factory defaults.

Every now and then my router/bridge relationship goes south. The easiest way to fix it is to unplug them both, wait about 30 seconds, plug the router in, wait 30 seconds, plug the bridge in and everything works again. Got that tip out of one of the owners manuals.

I suspect you're not yet set up correctly on that DD-WRT router. If you have it set up as a client, then it should pretend that it's wireless side is the WAN, and get it's WAN IP, gateway, and DNS from your main router. I gather that works. But then, as a client, it would normally be set with a different LAN address range, and have it's DHCP daemon enabled to give out it's own addresses to it's wired clients, such as your Xbox and 722. Is that how you set it up? If you entered the same address range on the DD-WRT router as exists on your main router, you are probably confusing it horribly.

One easy way around this nonsense is to set the DD-WRT into bridge mode. I don't have this software running anywhere, but I presume it has such a mode. In that case, it would go nearly transparent on you, and all it's wired clients would get their IP info from your main router and not the secondary router. If that's how it was set up before, that might explain why you couldn't get control of it without a reset to factory defaults.

Thank you! I couldn't remember how I had it setup before, and to further confuse me DD-WRT calls it "client bridge" mode. I think I tried that before without success, but I forgot to reboot the routers after changing the settings. Your clear explanation of the difference between the modes convinced me that I must've been using "client bridged" previously. Changed the router settings, rebooted them, and all is working now. Can't get to the DD-WRT bridge configuration page now but I think it exhibited that behavior before. No need to anyway as long as everything keeps working.

Thanks again! You saved what few hairs I have left on my head. :D

T

Changed the router settings, rebooted them, and all is working now. Can't get to the DD-WRT bridge configuration page now but I think it exhibited that behavior before. No need to anyway as long as everything keeps working.
:clap :clap :clap Hooray! Glad it all worked out so easily.