622 Temperature reading?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I remember a year or so ago reading that I could go into the menu of the 622 and see the temperature highs and lows. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in the 622 menu. Is this option still available? I've recently purchased a new entertainment center and it stays closed up inside a glass door. I'm just worried about overheating. Is this still a concern with the 622?

You need to allow it circulation. I keep 1 fan blowing in and 1 fan blowing out on my tv cabinet. The temp info is in diagnostics, under counters and keep paging down till you see it. Mine is an average of 90.

You need to allow it circulation. I keep 1 fan blowing in and 1 fan blowing out on my tv cabinet. The temp info is in diagnostics, under counters and keep paging down till you see it. Mine is an average of 90.

What kind of fan do you use? I have a similar cabinet now that seems to lock in the heat. Last night I noticed my external hard drive was red hot and my 722 kept rebooting till I unplugged it and let it cool down. I ended up opening my cabinet doors ,which completely takes away from the reason we bought the cabinet with doors. My wife hates the doors left open. IF I can't find a way to cool the dvr I will have to take the doors off permanently.

What kind of fan do you use? I have a similar cabinet now that seems to lock in the heat. Last night I noticed my external hard drive was red hot and my 722 kept rebooting till I unplugged it and let it cool down. I ended up opening my cabinet doors ,which completely takes away from the reason we bought the cabinet with doors. My wife hates the doors left open. IF I can't find a way to cool the dvr I will have to take the doors off permanently.

I use an old computer PS fan (12V) hooked to a 6V power source (to slow it down) there are also 622/722 coolers on fleabay

Thermaltake Mobile II usb fan on Amazon. Works well. I put mine on the left side to pull air through the receiver.

You will need another fan of some kind to blow cool air into your entertainment center. Mount it in the back and make sure there is also at least a slot to allow the hot air to escape near the top of the unit also.

That would mean cutting a hole in the NEW entertainment center that my wife finally picked out. I just don't think that will happen. I have not actually had any problems with it yet, I'm just trying to take some preventive measures. I may suggest setting the 622 on top of the entertainment center, which completely goes against why I bought the thing in the first place.

If its a real entertainment center it already has cutouts that can be popped out and used for just these kinds of things. Nobody sees the back of the center anyway. If you want to keep from cooking your electronic gear, you need the holes.

I completely removed the backing on mine and bought a sheet of luan from home depot and made a custom back that would handle the wiring and equipment I use.

It's a real entertainment center made of real wood. It has 2 small holes on each side of the back of the unit but they are only big enough for some wires. It's about 62" long and divided into 3 sections with 3 glass doors. My wife likes the fact that the holes in the back are small so you can't see all the way through when looking at the front. I guess I could cut some more holes in the back. I'll try to cut them up high so she can't see through. I guess it's not that big a deal, I just hate cutting up something that cost so much. It was close to $400.

I have a $1,000 armoire my wife just had to have...

I don't know why you would be able to see any holes though, your equipment should be blocking the view of 90% of the back of your unit.

There is always a way! Look it over and I'm sure you will get a few ideas that will work out for you and your wife!

I use 2 80mm pc fans with a universal 12 volt powersupply. The supply is switched down to 3volts. This voltage seems to move the air adequately and with no noise from the fans. I cut holes in the back of my console in the top corners, and mounted the fans inside the console. The fan to the right of my receiver is blowing in and the one to the left is blowing out. I did it like this because this is the way air flows in the receiver. With this setup you don't see the fans. The console is about 3/4" away from the wall. Alot of people put fans directly on the receiver itself, but I have found that I don't need to do that if I can adequately move the air in and out of the cabinet. The receiver stays cool to the touch and I am not forcing dust into it as I would be by placing a fan on the side.

Your wife is more understanding than mine. There's no way she would let me take the back off a $1000 armoire and replace it with a sheet of luan.

Well, she didn't "let" me, but, the luan I got was furniture grade and she didn't realize it at first but has since cooled off and admits you can't tell that any mods were made. That mod made an expensive piece of furniture useful, at least to me. It's no antique so I'm not worried about changing it either.

Entertainment centers, in general are designed to have you cut your own vent holes. The default ones already there are simply a joke.

Cut a couple slots down low in the back. Then cut a couple slots up high in the back. If you need to cover them, you can get expanded metal at a hardware store and spray paint it flat black. Screw it over the slots you cut and it will allow air to move, but make it much more difficult to see through them.

If that doesn't allow enough air movement to keep things cool, you can add a fan at the bottom, to provide fresh cooler air. If you can do it right you may find you don't need an extra fan on the receiver itself.

My 622 is sitting on a glass shelf below the HDTV with no sides and no back. with ambient air temp around 68F, it shows it's normal temp is around 106-115. I haven't checked it since I added the DTV connection, and we have an hour one night were we are recording on all 3 tuners in HD. I bet it warms up a bit then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)