622 to 722 - worth the effort?

jsm555

Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I've had DishNetwork for about 18 months (my contract expires this month) and have had FOUR ViP622's so far. Each one seems to work fine for about a month or two, then begins re-booting unexpectedly. I usually notice that my recorded programs will show a 2-minute segment and a 55-minute segment for the same 60-minute show. Eventually I'll literally dozens of one or two-minute segments showing for the same episode in my list of recorded programs. Each time the unit's gone crazy, I spend an hour or so talking to someone at DishNetwork who speaks little English, and they eventually send out a replacement. Tonight I'm trying to watch the convention and the stupid 622 has re-booted three times already. I'm just tired of fighting this.

I made arrangements to have DirecTV installed in a couple of weeks, but when I called DishNetwork they said that since I've had so many problems with the DVR they'd agree to replace it with a 722 with no commitment.

My question is this: is the 722 simply a 622 with a bigger hard drive? Or is there any reason to believe that the 722 will be any more reliable than the 622? I'm inclined to go ahead with DirecTV just because I'm so tired of this mess, but if the 722 is really a much better DVR, maybe I should reconsider.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've had DishNetwork for about 18 months (my contract expires this month) and have had FOUR ViP622's so far. Each one seems to work fine for about a month or two, then begins re-booting unexpectedly. I usually notice that my recorded programs will show a 2-minute segment and a 55-minute segment for the same 60-minute show. Eventually I'll literally dozens of one or two-minute segments showing for the same episode in my list of recorded programs. Each time the unit's gone crazy, I spend an hour or so talking to someone at DishNetwork who speaks little English, and they eventually send out a replacement. Tonight I'm trying to watch the convention and the stupid 622 has re-booted three times already. I'm just tired of fighting this.

I made arrangements to have DirecTV installed in a couple of weeks, but when I called DishNetwork they said that since I've had so many problems with the DVR they'd agree to replace it with a 722 with no commitment.

My question is this: is the 722 simply a 622 with a bigger hard drive? Or is there any reason to believe that the 722 will be any more reliable than the 622? I'm inclined to go ahead with DirecTV just because I'm so tired of this mess, but if the 722 is really a much better DVR, maybe I should reconsider.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

That sucks. I've had my 622 for about 18 months as well and it's been flawless (and I watch way too much TV). You have probably already tried this stuff, but make sure your receiver (whatever model you end up with - Dish or Direct) is plugged into an uninterruptible power supply, and that the receiver is well-ventilated.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 722K this Fall before I upgrade my 622, since it will support two OTA tuners instead of just one.

Jeff

Yep, the DVR is hooked up to a UPS - funny thing is that when the girl from Bangladesh had me go through an HOUR of diagnostics the last time the thing failed, she had me remove it from the UPS. And the DVR is in a well-ventilated location. It's strange that I'd get so many lemons, but I've noticed that the last three replacements were "refurb" units. That's why I'm wondering about the 722, since there's a new model of the 722 coming out soon, I wonder if I'll be receiving a refurbed 722 - I like the DishNetwork programming just fine, but I'm just really disgusted with the junk they've been sending me for equipment. I have to admit, I'm not too confident that they'll take care of me in the future, since they've sent me four 622's that failed. Tonight I tried watching the convention and the stupid thing re-booted three times, making me miss most of it. Just not worth the aggro, you know?

I've been with Dish Network since May of 2004, with the 811, then 622, and now 722, and never experienced the issues you report. However, I did have occasions when the 811 and I think 622 also would freeze, requiring me to reboot it. Since I got the 722 when it first came out, I've not had any of those kinds of problems; I believe it is a considerably superior machine. If I recall correctly, the 722 has a new chipset with more processing power.

If they will send you a 722 with no committment (and no upgrade cost) why not try it? The most it would cost you is a week or so of trying it out. That would also be a good test of whether you have something in your system that is causing electromagnetic interference with the software in the system. It would be a shame if you went with DirecTv on a 24 month committment and had the same problem.

But that's just what I think. You may view the situation differently. Best of luck whichever way you go. For me, I love the DVR capability of the 722.

fitzie

Had one 622 die on me. 622s NEED to be cool and run hot easily. 722 has slightly newer hardware in it. Have not seen as many dead 722 posts as 622.

I have had a 622 for two years and although there have a been a few issues, it is still running very well. Whatever problems I have had have been resolved by unplugging it from the main power supply and leaving it unplugged for several hours, then replug and it fixes itself. I've been lucky I guess. I took the 622 off of my surge protector and off of a UPS; it is plugged directly to the wall for uninterrupted power. If it blows in a storm so be it but I think direct power plus keeping the unit cool with a fan or just not putting it in an enclosure of any kind are the most important things you can do to keep this thing running without problems.

BTW, when my 622 does die (and it will sometime) does anyone know what they charge to get a 722? I pay $5 a month for the warranty thing so I would think it would be the difference between the cost of a 622 and 722 but I'm not sure of that.

BTW, when my 622 does die (and it will sometime) does anyone know what they charge to get a 722? I pay $5 a month for the warranty thing so I would think it would be the difference between the cost of a 622 and 722 but I'm not sure of that.

Lease upgrade is $75 plus a 2 year commitment

i've had my 622 for 2 years and it has not given me any problems. but if they're offering the 722 to you just take it. more HD space and it does look better in black than the silver 622. i've also heard of less problems with the 722 than the 622 even though both are practicly identical.

As far as I know the 722 is black and has a bigger hardrive, and from what I see in the past posts more software bugs then any other E* receiver currently. MY 622 is going on 15 months ,and never 1 issue. I'll get an external hard drive for my 622 before I upgrade to a 722.

I have a 622 but the HDMI doesn't work right, its all green. What is my best option to keep my 622 for the bedroom and upgrade to a 722 for the front room? I also would like to get eastern arc. I am not in a commitment. I have Dish DVR advantage, $20 HD, and HBO.

If your UPS is more than a couple years old, it might not be quite up to snuff. Also, you may have power problems where you need a power conditioner.

If your problems continue with the next box, it's a sure thing you have power problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts