622 TV2 tuner viewing option question

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
Ok, so I've had a pretty decent 622 since they came out, not really had any issues with it, and the first thing I did was put it into Single mode, shared. But now I am looking at doing something a bit different in my setup, and I am curious if I switch the 622 to dual mode, is there a way for me to view the TV2 tuner via the TV1 outputs (i.e. component) without interrupting what is happening on the TV1 tuner?

Example: TV1 is tuned to HDNet viewing/recording something, but I want to watch something on ESPN. Do I pick up the TV2 remote and tune in to 9424 or just what are my options? I absolutely dont want to interfere with what is happening on TV1's tuner.

Example: TV1 is tuned to HDNet viewing/recording something, but I want to watch something on ESPN. Do I pick up the TV2 remote and tune in to 9424 or just what are my options? I absolutely dont want to interfere with what is happening on TV1's tuner.[/QUOTE]

My experience is that when recording one program, I can watch another. While recording two, I can only toggle between them using PIP. Just record something you are not interested in and play with the remote. As for watching Tuner 2 in TV 1 - I don't think that is an option- and I believe it would be redundant. (Do you even have TV 2 hooked up?). TV 2 output is only RCA video and audio - not component. This reply is a bit confusing - but so was your question. :)

Ok, let me go a bit more in detail, I am looking at putting a R5000 into my 622. It goes only on Tuner 1. Thats because of TV2 having a non-IR capable remote receiver. So if my Sage system is tuning TV1 on the 622 to say HDNet, and recording it, the 622 doesnt realize that it shouldnt leave the first tuner alone.

So if I wanted to have my Sage/R5000 setup doing its own thing, but watch another show in HD on my HDTV through the component outs, am I able to force viewing from the second tuner, over TV1 outputs.

Is that more clear? Sorry for being confusing. This setup would also be similar to anyone wanting to Slingbox their 622, and not affect the first tuner that the slingbox would be controlling, presumably.

I simply don't know. But can't you just give this a try or could you damage the equipment? I'm sure someone will know right away.

Cheers.

Yeah when I get back home I can mess with it, was just thinking about it here at work so I thought I would ask. :) The R5000 mod will basically make this a single tuner box, and I'm just trying to weigh my options, as I already have a 411+R5000, so inside SageTV I would gain a second tuner, but was trying to reclaim the other 622 tuner as a 3rd source for those rare events when Sage is recording 2 things and I want to view a third.

Of course my other option would be to sell my 622 and pick up a 211 to mod, but the downside here is that I then would definitely lose that other tuner in the 622, and have no DVR backup in the event that Sage were to die for some reason. Definite upside to modding the 622, plus its resale value probably isnt too high.

SimpleSimon said:
Sorry, only TV1 will come out in HD.

So when the 622 is in Dual mode, you are saying that the component/hdmi outputs (i.e. TV1) are essentially just a single tuner HD receiver DVR at that point?

I guess it would still have access to any recordings made on the 2nd tuner, no? Such that if the R5000 tunes the first tuner to say HDNet, and you use the remote #2 to change channels to CBS HD, if I were to then pick up TV1 remote and go into DVR listings, would tuner 1 cut out, or simply allow me to start viewing the recording initiated on the 2nd tuner?

This is too damn confusing! :D

All tuners record to a common PVR area. TV1 and TV2 see the same recordings. In dual mode, the only way to see the other tuner live is from the modulated output and only if shared view is turned on. In single mode, all outputs are the same but you can switch tuners or do PIP.

Last edited:
Kirby:

You are making the mistake that almost everyone does - confusing outputs and tuners. There is NO hard connection between them.

To demonstrate, switch to single mode and fire up PiP. Now hit Swap. You have just switched tuners, but nothing else has changed. An upcoming recording on "TV2" will NOT affect what you're watching on TV1 - even though it's not the same physical tuner as it was before the PiP swap.

SimpleSimon said:
Kirby:

You are making the mistake that almost everyone does - confusing outputs and tuners. There is NO hard connection between them.

To demonstrate, switch to single mode and fire up PiP. Now hit Swap. You have just switched tuners, but nothing else has changed. An upcoming recording on "TV2" will NOT affect what you're watching on TV1 - even though it's not the same physical tuner as it was before the PiP swap.

Actually I am well aware of the outputs vs. tuners issue. What its basically going to boil down to is, with a R5000 added to the 622, it is on the first physical tuner, no way around this. So if I want to utilize the 2nd tuner in the 622, while Sage/R5000 are utilizing the first tuner, the only solution I see is I would have to view the 622, and tell it to record the current show that Sage is recording, and then browse the guide for the other show I just want to watch, and select it. This *should* not interfere with Sage/R5000 (the main issue here is that the 622 doesnt realize that its being utilized for another device).

Or I can just say to hell with it, and use the 622 as a single tuner device, run Dual mode, and use the second tuner for other tv's in my house.

No Kirby, I still think you do not understand.

The TV1 output is HD or SD, TV2 is SD only. This has nothing to do with content type or source (tuner or disk). The up/down-conversion is automatic.

To put it anothr way, if TV1 is outputting a show, THAT is the show. Period. You can NOT have the "pieces" of TV1 doing different things.

Now, I've never heard of a Sage/R5000, but it sounds like an IR repeater system of some sort. If so, you're outta luck. The ONLY way to control TV2 as a different output than TV1 is via UHF.

The Sage/R5000 is an internal modification to the 622/411/211 that outputs a digital stream through a usb 2.0 connection to a PC hard drive, i.e. it allows you to record an unencrypted HD digital video stream.

I would contact Nextcom with your questions, they appear to be beyond the scope here.

I think I am just going to pick up a 211 and mod that instead of ripping into my 622. Hopefully can get a decent priced one, maybe less than $200, or possibly I could look at leasing one, but rather own it like the rest of my receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts