622 TV2 with IR remote

splat10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
I have my 622 in dual mode with a TV2 feed to my TV1's PIP input. I also have a Home Theater Master MX-850 remote (totally awsome remote BTW) but can't figure out how to change channels on TV2 with my MX-850. It has a UHF output but that doesn't work with dish (as far as i can tell). Can the TV2 be controlled with IR too? Wife will kill me if i have to keep a dish remote sitting around just to change my PIP.

Jim5506 said:
TV2 is UHF ONLY.

seems dish has adopted a couple pretty stupid standards. Why would they do that when it would take no extra hardware to allow TV2 to run on an IR signal on a different channel? Are they trying to force people to use thier remotes (which are ok but not grand programmable remotes). :confused:

splat10 said:
seems dish has adopted a couple pretty stupid standards. Why would they do that when it would take no extra hardware to allow TV2 to run on an IR signal on a different channel? Are they trying to force people to use thier remotes (which are ok but not grand programmable remotes). :confused:

You got to be kidding me! Do you bitch when your Grey Poupon isn't fresh daily:rolleyes:

splat.... let me get back to you.... a friend of mine had the same problem... he does whole house audio/video distribution and after we installed a 622/625 in a customers house he had the same problem, he was using the SIRUS MX350 I believe. Dish told me the UHF could not be converted to I.R. but after a couple days he found a company that has a converter. I know it does'nt help now, but there is hope.

wobbie said:
splat.... let me get back to you.... a friend of mine had the same problem... he does whole house audio/video distribution and after we installed a 622/625 in a customers house he had the same problem, he was using the SIRUS MX350 I believe. Dish told me the UHF could not be converted to I.R. but after a couple days he found a company that has a converter. I know it does'nt help now, but there is hope.

cool thanks.

wobbie said:

From your understanding, does this converter truly mimic Dish's proprietary UHF signal from an IR signal? I'd be interested! Right now I have IR from the whole house beamed to the front IR receiver of my 942 so the other rooms can control it via IR. All I can do is run in single mode. If this company really has a solution, I can easily integrate this piece into the system right at the receiver and take control of TV2. I know it can be done electronically, but I'm the wrong kind of engineer for the job. ;) Something about logic.

jetskier..... yes, from my understandung and his too. We looked and searched for about two weeks before he contacted me that he found one. Unfortunately he is one vacation/training this weekend. I did contact a guy that helps him and he is suppose to get back to me tommorrow as he is currnetly wiring a house for a 622/211/211 and needs the same converter.

Splat, as soon as I hear from them I'll let you know..... hopefully by the end of the week.

Change a IR to a RF

EVERY remote has RF signal in it, there is a device which allows you to access it. Check post called"UHF remote distances", I have one of these things and it works great. Hope it helps you . Also look in just useing your MX850 useing the IR blaster in the menu. Peace

budda said:
EVERY remote has RF signal in it, there is a device which allows you to access it. Check post called"UHF remote distances", I have one of these things and it works great. Hope it helps you . Also look in just useing your MX850 useing the IR blaster in the menu. Peace

We don't want a IR blaster. We want to be able to control TV2 which accepts RF (aka UHF pro) only not IR. This converter would take Dish's proprietary IR signal and process it to broadcast in the UHF pro format. This converter if it exists is a work around to dish's inability to provide two IR receivers for each of the TV outs. If they provided a rear panel IR for TV2 control, then we wouldn't need a converter. Getting the signal from one room to another is not the problem. I can send IR to any room in my house with the system I have.

And not EVERY remote had RF in it by OEM design. That transmitter you referred to in the "UHF remote distances" post is the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve here.

Keep in mind, the TV2 remote was intended to control the ViP622 TV2 output from another room, with no line of sight. What you are trying to do is not an intended use of the system. Good luck with it, but I think you can hardly fault Dish for not supporting a use beyond what the system was designed for.

navychop said:
Keep in mind, the TV2 remote was intended to control the ViP622 TV2 output from another room, with no line of sight. What you are trying to do is not an intended use of the system. Good luck with it, but I think you can hardly fault Dish for not supporting a use beyond what the system was designed for.

well the idea that people don't have a whole house IR distribution system or that Dish's Remote is what people want to use is awfully short sighted on dish's part when it's just a software add on. It's the only peice of equipment that I've run across that i can't use a universal remote with macros, etc. I guess they're assuming that if you have an advanced system you'll have a dedicated reciever which is likely going to be what i do for the second room. I just hate spending and extra $5 a month when there's only two of us in the house

suggestion

When you are wanting to use PIP, run in signal mode and use Dishs PIP. Is there a reason why that won't work, or are we back to the multiple remote thing?

Bubba/Navychop.... we are not talking about PIP here, what we are looking to accomplish is to have one remote run a set up that consist of... let's say a 622, 625 and a 322 along with DVD, and audio. Now.... the Dish remotes are RF or UHF for TV2 ouputs and we are looking to get the TV2 sides of the dual tuners to recognize an IR signal which they will not, so why waste the money on an IR blaster. After a few hours with Dish Networks "ADVANCED TECHNICAL" support trying to tell me the IR converter would work... they finally convinced themselves that it would not. What Plat is looking for is a converter that will convert Dish Networks RF to IR. Now can we blame Dish for this... I would say no, but then again they should have thought about this issue when designing the receiver. But then again, Charlie was probably trying to avoid the posssibilty of saving the consumer a few dollars with the thought of whole house audio/video/Hi-DEf

The MX-350 will work with Dish equipment and use macros (rf also), if you want to fiddle with it. I had it running, more or less, and then moved to the much better Harmony 880.

Every product could have a few more features. Even if Dish did what you wanted (& I don't understand the "a set up that consists of... let's say a 622, 625 and a 322 along with DVD, and audio. " bit), then there'd be some other feature we'd want that it didn't do.

navychop said:
I don't understand the "a set up that consists of... let's say a 622, 625 and a 322 along with DVD, and audio. " bit), .

See this....System 6 (this controls the multiroom and multisource IR and audio matrix). They also have and 8x8 video router that goes along with the system. There is no RF control so each room is prewired with the keypad that control that room and the shared sources via IR.

There are other systems like Russound and Niles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)