Superdish to access 148?

skuba

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Can I use the superdish to access 148? What about the dish 500?
Thanks

technically you could do it... just peak one of the dbs lnbs for 148, but the other two lnbs would not be getting anything. But, I'm guessing the original question really meant, could he use his existing superdish to also get 148 and still get what it gets now, to that the answer is no.

I don't have anything. I am trying to get GLOBO TV and it's available on 148 and also 121, if I am not mistaken.
So I am trying to figure out. SOmeone is offering me a used Superdish and receiver for $50. So I guess I could get the channel from 121, but then I have been reading that 121 is getting discontinued.
So how come when I call Dish netwrok they say I will need a SuperDish to access the international channel?

if it's on 121 then you can get 110 119 121 on superdish. but the superdish is a big beast and you might be better off buying a five hundred for the 148
are you getting a 34 switch with the dish because you need a switch with the superdish

ok then, you'd probably want to start off with it pointed at 121, if what you want gets moved you could try repointing it then.

TV GLOBO is channel 814 on 121, or channel 596 on 61.5 and 148. According to post #262 here, Portugese is one of the languages that is staying on 61.5 and 148, but how long it will stay on 121 is anyone's guess.

It was JUST announced that many "languages" are moving OFF 121 and onto 118.7.

Details will be forthcoming - probably in one of Scott's threads.

I recommend you do NOT take any action until things settle in.

Oh - and if you DO try to use a Twin LNB for 148, cover the 110 eye with foil.
Trust me, just do it - or search around the forums until you find out why. ;)

EDIT: Just read the Facts Blast - Portugese is staying on 148.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping.
But I tried all that stuff and it's not working. I find it weird that when I move the dish around it doesn't even show 1 as signal strengh. It never moved from 0.

The cable is RG6 new, the cable connector is good (I tested). System interface screen is on SAT 148 and Transponder 11.
Dish is poiting to 212 degrees and elevation 39 degrees.
One thing I can say is that the mast is not plumb, it's installed on concrete, I can't make it plumb unless I add some stuff below the concrete.

What is weird is that have moved the mast around to try to fix the elevation, but signal strengh never leaves 0.

What could be wrong? Could the LNB be broken? is there a way to test it? Could the cable on the dish be bad?

I HAVE EVERYTHING in pictures to show you, my setup, it's on a flick account. Please see it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/60877578@N00/

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much again and again

That pole is what the guy that sold me had. I think that even if I cut the pole, the thing is not plumb. Can't I just compensate the non-plumbness with a change in elevation?

I wouldn't be able to cut it too much, there is a building in front of my house. It needs to have a clear sight of the sky, right?

Also, I would really need to cut it, I could just move the clamp down, right?

You are trying to figure out why you cant get the 148 sig with all of your elevation and azimuth settings right on... correct? THe reason is the pole is out of plumb. Sure you can correct that with compensation on the elevation and azimuth... But why try to figure that out... THe only thing you are doing by not plumbing the pole is adding hours and frustration to a 10-30 minute activity. The key to anything is getting started and the rest goes smooth. Would you build a house on a slanted foundation?

Last edited:
How tall is this mast, anyway?

If you can't get to the dish while you're aiming it, you're gonna end up in an insane asylum.

If you CAN get to it, for a single bird aim only, just jack the dish around until it sings.

I can get to the dish on top of a chair. That's ok.

Guys, I am almost giving up. It just doesn't get signal.
I used a level with laser to plumb the mast. It's all plumb now.

I think I plumbed it right. I used a magnetic level with laser. So I put it on the top of the mast poiting into a straight line to where the mast and the concrete meet. Than I use one of those door holders to plumb it. I did from all "sides"of the mast.

I have set elevation to 39 and skew to 90, point antenna to 212 and moved a bit to each side. I GET NO SIGNAL - ZERO!

The set up interface is set to Ant 148 and transponder 11.

When I do the switch check it says problems verified, check connections. But when I see details it says, LNB STatus - Direct connect to a DP - DUAL, DP-DUAL1 GOOD, NO SIGNAL

I just don't know what do to now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

First: If you can buy a SuperDish 121 and a receiver for $50 that are working - buy it, especially if they are throwing in a DP34 or DPP44 switch.
....SuperDish 105 or 121 with DP34 switch -- About $190.00 plus shipping.
....DPP44 switch -- About $190.00.
Someone on the forum is looking for the LNBF cluster for a SD 121.

Second: As others have said, you really need the mast plumb before starting. However, if the bubble is on the line, it should still be easy to find a speck in space. Although that meter may get you in the right spot on the sky, you will still need to move the dish about 1/32" at a time to try and find the bird. The receivers do not respond real quick. Also, is that meter compensating for the yearly magnetic deviation for your location?

Third: I just looked at the pictures. I don't think your settings are correct, unless the pole, dish and receiver were bought from a neighbor and you just moved it without adjusting anything to pick up the same satellite.

If you respond back with your zip code, I'll compute your settings for both 148 and 61.5, based on the following equipment:
....DishPro 500, single LNBF on 119 slot

Last edited:
While goofing off, I used the dates on the photo's and enhanced them to read the stars. It looks like you are somewhere near Lakewood, CA.

Elevation ------------ 39.4
Skew ---------------- 36.6
Azimuth ----------- 225.9
Mag Deviation ---- 13.99
Magnetic North --- 211.9

However, with the LNBF in the 119 slot of the Y bracket, use these settings:

Elevation --- 39.4
Skew -------- 126.6
Azimuth ----- 207.4
Try and plum that pipe as much as possible first, even if you have to cut the bottom and then place it in a bucket with a bag of concret mix. Do not adjust the skew, but swing left and right in very small increments until you find 148. You may then adjust the Elevation and Azimuth, but will probably just waste time if you adjust the skew.

Also, use the forward edge of the red line to adjust the elevation.

Try this site: http://www.emantechnology.com/lookangle.asp

For 92649:

Elevation = 39.4
Skew = 36.8, but that would be added to 90 which equals 126.8
Azimuth = 212.2 Mag, but using the 119 slot, subtract 4.5 which equals 207.7.

Again, looking at the pictures, you had a DishPro 500 dish with a Y bracket, but did not have a Twin LNBF, just a single LNBF in the 119 slot, not the 110 slot. By "single LNBF" I meant 1 LNBF, but that 1 LNBF may be a "dual LNBF" meaning it will feed 2 receivers.

Last edited:
So, do adjust the skew or not? And when you say skew, is it changing on the back of the satelittle dish where it's set to 90 right now?

The pole is on a concrete piece already. I put door holders under to adjust the level. With the magnet laser level I think I was able to plumb it.

I will try some more.

Thanks

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts