622 USB ports

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jghartle

Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Bethlehem, Georgia
Hello all! Just curious if these ports will ever be activated for external usb hard drive support? That's really the only thing holding me back from getting a 622. The need for space to archive. Don't want to be controlled by how much I can record and then be forced to watch something before I run out of space. Thanks for a great forum!:)

E* has said that they are planning on supporting usb hard drives in the future. I don't think anyone knows how far into the future this might be, but hopefully it will be soon.

The USB port was also on the 942 and that has been a year now and still no word.

I explained to them that it was holding me back from signing up for it, but they said they had no idea. I doubt I'm the only one that feels that maybe 40 hours worth of hd is just not enough space. I have a 250GB drive just itching to be used. Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, the USB port also works for memory sticks (most anyway) and some digital cameras, but the OP was specifically referring to external USB hard drives.

John Walsh said:
I use my USB port on my 942,

The pocket dish hooks right up to it and transfers files onto it

I hate to change the direction of this thread, but this post got me intrigued. At one point, I wanted to get an iPod, but now that I see this AV700E pocketdish, I'm thinking I might go this route. After all, it does mp3, wmv and it will work with y 622. I have a couple of questions though:

• John, which pocketdish do you have? How do you like it?
  • Can I transfer HD from the 622 into the AV700E?
  • How long does it take to transfer about an hours worth of HD. (Let's say I wanted to transfer The Sopranos from my DVR into the AV700E. How long would something like that take?)
  • How does the mpeg-4 look? Does it get highly compressed?

I have the AV 700 and like it very much.

No you cannot transfer HD content, SD only.

It takes less than 5 minutes to transfer a 1 hour program.

The picture is pretty good on the pocket dish. I haven't tried outputting it to a TV so I don't know how that would look although it has the capability. I've heard the picture looks sharper on the 4". I think the resolution is the same. The 7" is a little easier to see with my 57 year old eyes.

I went ahead and bought the 700. However, I'm VERY disappointed that it will not accept an HD transfer. :( What's the point of the widescreen if it only does SD?

EVERYTHING I record on the 622 is HD. There really should be a way to downconvert the HD to 16x9 SD for a transfer to the Pocket Dish.

Oh well. I guess I'll still use it for a glorified mp3, wma, digital photo player. :cool:

Hey i've got a DISH Player-DVR 625 and when I plug in a SD card reader w/ a card in it i get a menu asking if I want to view what is on it or if I want to transfer files to it. I'm not sure if this helps anyone. It says that these features are not supported but I bet someone with enough know how could un block it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts