622 will not authorize with Dish 500?

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
Got a question and of course I post here to ask the Satellite Pros.;)

Can a VIP 622 be authorized with a Dish 500 looking at 110&119 at all? Dish CSRs and stupivisor say No! the 622 needs to see 129.To which I reply "Then why does the 622 provide TV1 with A/V connections and S-Video connection w/audio cables?.They say we don't know?.:confused:

So is it possible? do I need to go through ceo@dishnetwork.com?.I have the 625 with SD programming only, not ready to go to HD(no HDTV).Thanks for any replies.:)

Cough... Cough... Bull S****........ Cough...

Damn, must be that flu bug again...

I have a 622 on a Dish 500 (Only 110 and 119) and it works fine.

-- Mia

yes

It should work but you will get a lost sat nag and it may keep looking for 129. Your problem my not be the dish 500 but the fact you are useing legacy lnb;s. I believe you need dp lnb's to make it work correctly. I use a dish 500 dual lnb for 110 and 119, then a second dish 500 for 129 with a switch dpp44/power, so I know it works with the 500. Are you trying to not get HD, I believe you left a few things out of the story. Fill in please.:)

It should work but you will get a lost sat nag and it may keep looking for 129. Your problem my not be the dish 500 but the fact you are useing legacy lnb;s. I believe you need dp lnb's to make it work correctly. I use a dish 500 dual lnb for 110 and 119, then a second dish 500 for 129 with a switch dpp44/power, so I know it works with the 500. Are you trying to not get HD, I believe you left a few things out of the story. Fill in please.:)

I have a 625 with Dish 500 Dish Pro Plus LNB(comes down 1 cable to separator) for 110&119.Bought a VIP622 on EBay(checked with Dish to see if I could authorize on my account,receiver number and smart card number first).After I set it up it said to call Dish to authorize,I called they either could not get it to authorize or were trying to get me to do a different dish install,said the system will not authorize the 622 when it can't see 129.I said "I'm SD only(no HDTV) I only bought the 622 for the OTA tuner(and maybe the 3 hour guide).So I don't see why the 622 will not authorize and I will not have another dish installed.I called the CSRs twice the second time I had the CSR transfer me to a supervisor she told me the same thing.No 129 no authorizing the 622,the system won't let them do it?.

A suggestion

Not sure if you have done it before, but I would hook up a dish just for the auth. Then either use it or not. You could get a Dish 1000.2 for around 50.00 if you looked around may even be able to get one from a neighbor who has canceled. once you are tuned in there would be no excuse not to authorize you. Also if sometime in the near future you get a HD TV you are set. And it is worth it to me but on that I am biased.Peace

Not sure if you have done it before, but I would hook up a dish just for the auth. Then either use it or not. You could get a Dish 1000.2 for around 50.00 if you looked around may even be able to get one from a neighbor who has canceled. once you are tuned in there would be no excuse not to authorize you. Also if sometime in the near future you get a HD TV you are set. And it is worth it to me but on that I am biased.Peace

The Ironic thing is I used to have a second dish pointed at 129,but I got rid of it,just like I used to have a 25Ft aluminum pole for an OTA antenna,got rid of it too.Now I am thinking of returning back to OTA.I sent off an email today to ceo@disnetwork.com will see if they can help appreciate all of your suggestions.You know how you are biased well I am too about SD.I have Dish's DHPP and they would put in a new dish for $15. but then there would be a 24 month commitment for HD for life or $99. without commitment.If push comes to shove I will just stay with the 625 I have now and pack up the 622 I bought and put it in our shed for the time I would need it.;)

I think you know to do this already, but just double-checking. You did a Check Switch followed by a Save followed by turning off the receiver to let it download the latest firmware?

I think you know to do this already, but just double-checking. You did a Check Switch followed by a Save followed by turning off the receiver to let it download the latest firmware?

After check switch,it downloaded the guide information,then the screen came up stating this receiver is not authorized for service contact Dish Network( #129,if I remember the number correctly?).You have to remember this is my first VIP DVR so it's very possible I have made a boo boo.But the CSRs and 1 supervisor all stated the receiver needs to see 129.Which means this is a push by Dish Network to have their software setup to make your setup setup for HD.Which makes no sense to me since TV1 has S-Video connections w/audio cables and A/V connections on the 622?.It should authorize when it sees 119&110.So like I said if push comes to shove I will just stay with my 625(which isn't too bad since the 625 has a 2hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers).I do want to say I appreciate all the suggestions,but at this time I disconnected the 622 and put it back in the box.I will reconnect it up tomorrow sometime and try your suggestion(I only have 1 hookup setup).Thanks again to all appreciate all suggestions.:)

DISH Network typically won't authorize an HD receiver on an SD account. If you have a truly owned ViP series receiver, you should be OK, but their front line policies demand HD programming for HD receivers and they don't want anyone coming back on them for being charged for programming that they cannot get.

DISH Network typically won't authorize an HD receiver on an SD account. If you have a truly owned ViP series receiver, you should be OK, but their front line policies demand HD programming for HD receivers and they don't want anyone coming back on them for being charged for programming that they cannot get.

I thought Dish Network was different that you could run either HD or SD programming only on a VIP DVR.If they have changed policy then it would seem they are becoming like DirecTV in that concern.With my package being AT250 being charged for programming I can't see would not really be an issue(think I'm already paying for HD I cannot see with my 625.).;)

Finally got tired of playing games took your advice called up Dish Network when they said couldn't activate it I told them to schedule a technician.So having the DHPP it's $15..I asked about a 24 month commitment and they said no because I bought the receiver so we will see.If I do get an HDTV(some year) then I will be set so it looks like we are both biased.;)
The technician is supposed to come out tomorrow between 8AM and 12 PM when they told be that I said cool!.:cool:

Finally got tired of playing games took your advice called up Dish Network when they said couldn't activate it I told them to schedule a technician.So having the DHPP it's $15..I asked about a 24 month commitment and they said no because I bought the receiver so we will see.If I do get an HDTV(some year) then I will be set so it looks like we are both biased.;)
The technician is supposed to come out tomorrow between 8AM and 12 PM when they told be that I said cool!.:cool:

Thought I would update my situation.Received two calls from Dish Network this morning one to confirm an installer was coming today and the second to give me an approximate time of arrival.Guess it took them 5 minutes to setup my 102.1 Dish.They saw I already had the 622 hooked up ready to go.So they gave me a basic idea of the changes with the 622 compared to the 625 then left.It was a very pleasant experience.:)

Also wanted to say with the 102.1 Dish I am receiving 3 SD channels I did not have,Arts Showcase,Pentagon Channel and 3ABN.:)

Last edited:
Thought I would update my situation.Received two calls from Dish Network this morning one to confirm an installer was coming today and the second to give me an approximate time of arrival.Guess it took them 5 minutes to setup my 102.1 Dish.They saw I already had the 622 hooked up ready to go.So they gave me a basic idea of the changes with the 622 compared to the 625 then left.It was a very pleasant experience.:)

Also wanted to say with the 1000.2 Dish I am receiving 3 SD channels I did not have,Arts Showcase,Pentagon Channel and 3ABN.:)

Correction: Dish 1000.2.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)