625 fan vs 522 fan

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I just had my 522 swapped for a 625 (That in it self is another story:eek: I will post about that when I have a bit more time)
I had my 522 for two years pretty much trouble free. The only time I would hear the fan was during re-boots, the 625's fan seems to run more. I just recieved the reciever so its only been hooked up for a couple of hours. The HHD High temp was 120 the Low was 96 and the avarge is 69. Is it possable that 625's fan needs to run more? Everything is in the same place.
Thanks
Lenny

This is just my opinion. You should be happy to hear the fan running, that means it's doing its job. I would be very worried if I didn't hear that fan. To answer your question, I've noticed that my 625 fan makes a lot of noise (full speed) when first plugged in but after that I rarely hear it. I don't have a 522.

The way I see it, DVRs were not meant to be in bedrooms unless the fan noise doesn't bother you.:) I can hear every single noise at night so I keep my DVRs outside the bedroom.

My 522 was recently replaced because the hard drive died on the old one (it was about a year old).
The new (well to me anyway, probably a refurb) 522's fan seems to be on all the time, whereas the old one I hardly ever heard. So either there's variation from unit to unit (possible due to different HD model), or the fan on my old unit wasn't working right and caused the failure in the first place.

I agree with RandallA: a constantly operating fan is good, good, GREAT! No fan operating means heat, heat, heat, and that is great enemy of electronics. Dust? Yeah, I know, but I've seen several devices work flawlessy caked with dust, but never operate properly with just a tad too much heat. Count your lucky stars.

Thanks all,
What do you think about this? What if I get a small fan and tape it to the outside of the 625 and force air through the unit? I'm not home now so I cant look at the unit to see if there is even a space to do that.
Lenny

This is what I do with my 625 and others are doing it for their 622 receivers. I have the receiver sitting on a laptop cooler running 24x7. The laptop cooler is powered from the USB port in the back of the 625. My HDD temperatures are in the mid 80s with the highest in the low 90s.

This is what I have (I think):

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4635868?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

but there are others with USB hubs and adjustable speed fans.

:) shire it helps but you don't cool whats on the top of the board. i would put it upside down on top. heat raises. does the VIP622 have regular screws so you can blow the dust out? some where on this board someone listed the full designs of the VIP622. it said the air comes in from the vents in the right side

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts