625 Search Problem

myron243

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Kingwood, Texas
My 625 will not find a show on the major networks but will find them on other channels. I can tell it to search for Cold Case for example and it will not find new episodes on the CBS channel but will find reruns on TNT. I tried 24 and it doesn't find the new episodes on Fox but does find reruns on A&E. I've tried searching for actors with the same result. I've tried other shows as well. I've tried selecting a program in the guide and pressing search and it won't find it. I've tried pressing search on the title of a recorded program on the My Recordings list and it won't find it.

This started with L3.83. My 625 got L4.13 on 1/08/07 and that didn't fix the problem. And I tried a front panel reset and unplugging it.

The tech I spoke with on 1/09/07 said he would send in an Uncommon Trend Report and IT would look at and when they get it fixed it will just download to my receiver. He said it should take a couple of weeks maybe. I told him it had been reported right after L3.83 downloaded and it wasn't fixed yet.

Additionally, I tried preceding and following 24 with a space as mentioned in the online manual and it still returned all programs with 24 in the title. Except on my local Fox channel. Can you imagine searching for ER?

Do you subscribe to local channels (or do your local channels show up in your program guide?)

If you don't see your locals in your on-screen program guide, it would make sense why searches for programs on local channels do not result in any matches.

Do you subscribe to local channels (or do your local channels show up in your program guide?)

Yes I subscribe to my locals. Yes they show up in the EPG. Yes, the search function found programs listed in the locals in the EPG prior to L3.83. As I stated in my original post this problem began with L3.83.

Myron243,

You are not alone my friend. I made a post almost identical to yours two months ago, titled, "Does your 522 search the locals?":

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=82975

I got a couple of replies from people that basically said they didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but I'm convinced most people here are clueless when it comes to their receivers. Example: I also have the TV2 black and white problem that a handful of people have been complaining about, but oddly enough, the complaints haven't been pouring in by the hundreds/thousands here. Why not? Clearly the problem is widespread and not just on "my" receiver, but it seems posters here either don't realize they have a problem, or don't care enough to speak up about it. Whatever.

Anyway, after reading my post from two months ago again, and reading your post here, I remembered that the problem did start before 4.12 as you correctly pointed out here, and not with the introduction of 4.12 as I mistakenly said in that thread.

Also, I notice on my receiver (I'm in dual mode, by the way) that it DOES in fact search the locals on TV2, but just not on TV1. So maybe you might try searching on TV2 and confirming that ours are both acting the same way?

I'm having the same searching problem with my 508. When I do a search it finds episodes on my Dish package channels but not my Boston network locals. For example, if I search for "Medium" it finds the old episodes on Lifetime but not the new episodes on NBC. I called Dish today and they hadn't heard of this problem but said they will have it fixed within 48 hours

Still no resolution from Dish about the search problem. However, I found a work-around solution that works for me.

As we know, local channels have a four digit channel number and all the content is essentially copied and assigned a channel number that corresponds to the number the local OTA broadcaster uses. This is fine except, when you do a search, the results are duplicated showing what is on the four digit channel and the same on the local channel. To avoid this duplication I locked out the four digit channel number using the channel lock feature and then hid the locked channels. This worked until Dish sent out a new software release recently.

To solve the problem I unlocked the four digit channel number for my network locals. This works for my 508 except I get duplicate search results which is what I had been trying to avoid. I don't know if it will work on other models. Good luck!

Tifftman,

Thanks a lot! Your workaround works great for me. I, like you, had my duplicate locals in the 8,000's locked out to keep them from mucking up my timers and searches. And sure enough, as soon as I unlocked them the locals started showing up in the searches again.

The only annoyance with doing it this way, other than duplicates in the searches, is duplicates in the timers. For all of my Dish Passes, programs on the locals get doubled up in the timer list.

It was working fine for years, I don't understand why Dish felt the need to start screwing with this part of the software. Oh well, thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts