625 Temperature thread

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
cincyguy2k4 found some good information about the hard drive temperature in the 622 receiver. He started this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186

It turns out that this information has been there for the 625 as well. I just got a 625 and checked the temperature on mine by going:

"Menu > 6 > 3 will take you to the Diagnostics screen. Then select Counters. Page Down twice." The temperature on the hard drive will be listed there.

Here is mine:

High 113 F
Low 60 F
Avg. 95 F

What's yours?

User the Page Down in the remote control.

I just notice in the Tech Portal interactive menus that the 522 has it too. :)

Attachments

• pageupdown.jpg
    pageupdown.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 522systemsetup_counter3.jpg
    522systemsetup_counter3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 112
I'm curious whether the 622's temp is also taken in the HD. (I scanned thru cincyguy2k4's thread and don't see where it is identified as the HD temp.)

So what does all this mean? I suppose that one trained in the art can make some statement about the health and/or long-term prognosis for the system based on those figures. IMHO, it would be more meaningful if a "real time" reading could be had that would allow one to do some experimenting to lower the temp, as mentioned by several posters in the cited thread. What are the "critical" components in the 622 that need thermal management (obviously the HD in one of them) and will the single temp. reading accurately reflect the overall temps. in the box, i.e., if the one indicated is lowered will that reflect a similar reduction for all components? Just curious as I believe a 622 is in my not-too-distant future...

That's a very good point. Is this real time monitoring? Probably not, but it will give you some indication of what your hard drive's temperature actually is. High temperatures will indicate the need to relocate the receiver to a more ventilated area.

There was a thread mentioning that the problems with the 522/625 receivers locking up wasn't the hard drives overheating but the entire board and they posted some pictures showing the heat damage in the board itself where the SAT tuners are located.

So to answer your question, in my opinion the SAT tuners and the hard drive are the most critical components in the receiver that will need thermal management. Lowering the temperature in the hard drive should help lower the SAT tuners area too.

Just some follow-on thoughts...

RandallA said:
There was a thread mentioning that the problems with the 522/625 receivers locking up wasn't the hard drives overheating but the entire board and they posted some pictures showing the heat damage in the board itself where the SAT tuners are located.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about, especially in the new MPEG-4 receivers. All the horsepower needed for processing the increasingly more complicated compression algorithms will certainly produce more heat apart from the HD (which may actually be dormant for a large percentage of the time if the user is not recording?). So a single temp. reading in the HD may be misleading. I also suspect that the equipment designers, ever pressed to minimize cost, are scrimping on the thermal management considerations. There is certainly plenty of precedence for that!

If I were in an enquiring mood, I might be inclined to pop the cover on a 622 and focus a borrowed remote IR meter at the various "hot spots" to try and understand the overall thermal situation. As I have posted elsewhere, the picture changes, perhaps significantly, when the "hood" is open since the normal airflow pattern is interrupted. That might help some components and significantly hurt others, but for a relatively short duration it might help answer the question as to which components are the real heat generators and what the intentional airflow is. Of course, the surface temp. of a device is likely quite different from its internal (junction?) temp. and that needs to be understood.

I think some well thought-out mitigation strategy could then improve the overall situation. One can study the spec sheets on the various stressed components to determine if they're operating within their stated temp. ranges or near upper limits, and then look at the reliability data to see how much the projected FIT might be improved by reducing the temp. by a certain amount. Then one might try to find a way to actually reduce the temp. with added heatsinking, airflow, etc. Even a cheap DMM comes with a thermal junction that one could embed in the system at a critical point to take remote real-time readings, to see if the mitigation actually improved the situation once the cover is back on. Lowering the internal temps of certain active components by even 10 deg. F might double the equipment life.

Disclaimer: Naturally any of this is dangerous to the untrained and will void any warranty, so proceed at your own risk...!

Last time I checked mine:
Low=107
High=122
Avg=117

I have rearranged my et center for better ventilation but I haven't checked the latest readings lately. I'll look tonight...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)