625 Upgrade & keep single cable to set

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

growlerman3473

Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Here in the US Virgin Islands my installation includes a Channel Master Type 120 1.2 meter (48") SMC Antenna with a legacy dual lnb feeding a 508 and a 301 through 100 feet each of high quality RG6 coax marked good to 2200. I can only receive the 119 bird (I think that has to do with the signal footprint out here, 1000 miles from Miami). I want to replace the 301 with a 625 dual tuner box, but I *must* make it work with the present single cable - running another cable to that location is almost impossible. I read up on the DN site and learned about DP and DPP, and concluded that I need a DP dual LNBF, a DPP-44 switch and a DPP Separator at the 625 to maintain single cable benefits to each receiver. However, the installer of the original setup is telling me that I can get away with a DP dual LNBF and an ordinary splitter (rated to 2200) at the 625. Can this be true? and if so, why would the rest of the world be doing the DPP 3-step (DPP receiver, DPP Separator and DPP LNBF or switch)? I suppose I could try it his way first, but I figured someone out there would know the answer and save me the time and annoyance.

"However, the installer of the original setup is telling me that I can get away with a DP dual LNBF and an ordinary splitter (rated to 2200) at the 625."

In theory that should work because you only have one satellite feed but I've never tried it.

This is what I would do, get a DP Dual lnb and a DP34 switch. Run that single cable from the DP Dual to the DP34 switch near the 625 receiver and from the DP34 run 2 cables to the 625 receiver. That switch will allow you to feed the 508 and the 301 if you want to keep them.

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I plan to replace the 301 with the new 625, and continue to feed the 508 with the second port on the lnbf. Does that change your suggestion?

No, I would still go with the DP34 switch. That will feed the 625 (2 cables to the receiver) and the 508. To feed the DP34 switch all you need is that single cable run from the LNB. How far is the dish from the receivers?

Actually, you could leave the 508 alone (run check switch after replacing the lnb). Use the cable run that's feeding the 301 (I assume) to feed the DP34 at the 625 receiver and then just run two small cables to the 625 receiver.

Last edited:
The 508 and the 625 will be far apart in different rooms, and right now the two locations are wired home run to the legacy dual lnb. Distances are under 100'. That is why it would be easier to feed the 508 on the current cable from the antenna if that will work. Then, as I understand your suggestion, at the 625 you would substitute the DP34 switch for the splitter in the installer's proposal, or for the DPP44 and the DPP Separator suggested in the DN literature.

PS to my last post - will I see any difference in performance between the DP34 setup and the simple splitter suggested by the installer?

I know for sure the DP34 will work, I can't say the splitter setup will work because I've never tried it. You could get the DP Dual LNB and a approved splitter and try it. If it doesn't work just buy the DP34. The DPP44 is way too expensive for what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)