stevesxm

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
carribean
ok... dish is migrating all the hd from 61.5 to 72.7. some questions please.

1) 72.7 is circular, not linear correct ?

2) a conventional DP lnb should work... same as 61.5 correct ?

3) i have a client who uses the 110/119/61.5 profile. i set up another dish and looked for 72.7. found it on my meter ( id's as 72.7 exactly where it should be , but the recievers show no signal.

in the past, the receiver didn't have to be authorised to see signal. this same unauthorized test rec shows 119/110/61.5 just fine.

has dish done something weird that they need to specifically authorize the box to see 72.7 ?

i would appreciate authoratative answers , please... no guesswork. just what you know from hands on experience that you know to be true.

thx.

Not sure about authroization question.

Dish is not migrating all the HD to 72.7. I believe they actually migrated some to 61.5 from 72.7.

Seems like a lot of work but there must be a reason for this indirect approach. They could simply activate 72 on all receivers. Let people point to what is convenient for them in terms of signal, location etc. Only the locals should have location restrictions. Why all this segregation into eastern arc, western arc? Just makes it more complicated. These kinds of decisions are not customer friendly and just increases expense. I guess it must be financially lucrative them or believe me they would not do it.

ok... dish is migrating all the hd from 61.5 to 72.7. some questions please.

1) 72.7 is circular, not linear correct ?

2) a conventional DP lnb should work... same as 61.5 correct ?

3) i have a client who uses the 110/119/61.5 profile. i set up another dish and looked for 72.7. found it on my meter ( id's as 72.7 exactly where it should be , but the recievers show no signal.

in the past, the receiver didn't have to be authorised to see signal. this same unauthorized test rec shows 119/110/61.5 just fine.

has dish done something weird that they need to specifically authorize the box to see 72.7 ?

i would appreciate authoratative answers , please... no guesswork. just what you know from hands on experience that you know to be true.

thx.

I am no pro at this, but it may depend on what model test receiver you are using. It is my understanding, from others here, that a 508 or a 301 will not see 72.7 at all, and a 311 will see it for finding the satellite, but will not decode the content. I believe that most VIP receivers will see and decode 72.7.
What model are you using?

it does ... with a very big dish... but not the question. if i can see it on the meter, why can't i see it on the box ?

Because the signal strength is below the threshold noise level of the receiver. A modern meter or spectrum analyzer will show whatever signal is there. You need a bigger antenna. Carribean 72.5W probably needs something like a 3-4 Meter antenna.

But first, as noted above, what model receiver is being used? It's gotta be a ViP series or a 411.

I'm with joe99 and navychop on this one.Its gotta be legacy receiver issue.

If the question is do you need authorization to see a sat, no. Once you subscribe, any channel you are subscribed to can be seen from any satellite it is on.

I don't think it is a legacy receiver issue, he was seeing 61.5, realizes he is losing HD channels. From reading other posts, 72.7 can not be seen in the Caribbean, or at least not normally. I believe the answer is what Nelson61 posted.

If the question is do you need authorization to see a sat, no. Once you subscribe, any channel you are subscribed to can be seen from any satellite it is on.

I don't think it is a legacy receiver issue, he was seeing 61.5, realizes he is losing HD channels. From reading other posts, 72.7 can not be seen in the Caribbean, or at least not normally. I believe the answer is what Nelson61 posted.

it may be a reach but lets assume that i actually know what i'm doing . it's not a legacy box. it's a new vip211k and its a test i am running side by side to an existing 3 dish array that sees 119/118/61.5 and 110 . the test is being run on a 6' dish even tho a 4' dish here works perfectly in all respects. the lnb is a dp single to keep it simple and there is no switch in the system. 1 dish 1lnb 1 box. i can swing the dish anywhere i want and lock up any sat i want in about 18 seconds. they pass CS instantly. do the same thing with 72 and get more than enough sig, more than enough quality yet when hooked to the box get no recognition and no CS. so... its a frequency issue w/ the lnb or there is another sat on top of 72 that is stronger on a similar freq that the meter sees but not the box. on paper everything close is linear and shouldn't be an issue but if i knew that answer i wouldn't be asking. dish confirms what we already suspected, i.e. irrespective of activation, any box should see any signal from any properly aligned and compatible dish for the purposes of installation. i am happy to hear any suggestions that hover within the framework of those hard facts. its not space aliens and its not the color of the coax or sunspots. its something basic and technical.

There are many posts from people in the Caribbean complaining Dish is moving HD programming from 61.5 to 72.7, and they can not receive 72.7. Based on that, and looking at the footprint, even with a larger dish (which they may or may not have) I'm not convinced you can get 72.7.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=28942&d=1220751628

i suppose you could be right but the US VI are only 40 miles away ... and the foot print i see runs right over my island. what are the USVI doing for HD and then why does my meter say good sig / good quality and nimq 5 ? i'm just looking for an answer. not an argument.

i suppose you could be right but the US VI are only 40 miles away ... and the foot print i see runs right over my island. what are the USVI doing for HD and then why does my meter say good sig / good quality and nimq 5 ? i'm just looking for an answer. not an argument.
Did you use the footprint map from the satbeams site I sent you? There are places in the Caribbean that will get good signal and some that won't. It looked pretty spotty for there. I guess not looks like it is gone now. Maybe I put it in the authorization thread.

Last edited:

That's exactly the point, they aren't doing anything for HD, again from reading their posts, including someone from the USVI. When you say the signal goes right over the USVI, yes, but the very weakest very outer edge of the signal. Neslon61 who posted above has done much work in this area, and I would go with his answer.

Read this and maybe it will help convince you? :)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/246274-dish-csr-please-comment-mixed-arc.html

Last edited:
I'll take another stab at it. When you get this signal for 72.7, under the bars you should see something to the effect of locked on xxx. Does it say 72.7 or perhaps some other sat, or "wrong sat?" Or do you not even get the "locked" comment on your Dish receiver? I look at the map, and it looks like you should not be getting a strong signal, yet you say you're picking it up. Maps are far from perfect. Seems you may be right and it's another sat signal, or you're just on the fringe and it just won't work without a dish the size of Toledo, and maybe not even then.

I guess what we should be considering is: Find somebody there that is getting 72.7 and see what they're doing/using.

The signal being picked up on the meter is probably the Directv satellite co-located at 72.5w. That satellite also is a circular polarized beam and 12.2-12.7 ghz, just like Nimiq 5. Directv is using about 25% of the frequency band and Dish has the rest. Directv told the FCC in 2009 that their lease had been extended to sept 2011 so one may see some changes this fall (if the lease was not extended again ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts