any updates? im having a similar issue...

i live on the east coast in between fl/ga and im in the tallahassee fl locals market, so im assigned to use 110/119 129 (no idea why we are on the western arc) but i live in an apartment with heavy trees, so i currently have two dishes pointed at 61.5 and 110 - i cannot get 119 whatsoever and 129 is out of the question. I've been happy with this setup as i get pretty much everything i watch, the only reason i have 110 is to get espn HD

about a year or so ago i attempted to get 72.7 or 77 with my dish 500 w/ single lnb, and my vip211k receiver, and was not able to find them at all. I get about 50+ signal on 61.5 and have a fairly clear area just south of it where 72.7/77 should be. I figured that i was not able to see these sats because i'm assigned to the western arc, and my 211k does not have the eastern arc logo on it (it will not be able to decode the eastern arc signals?)

anyway, ive been fine with my setup, but ive noticed over the last few days i've lost several hd channels, dish must be moving them from 61.5. I'd like to be able to swing my dish that is on 110 over to 72.7 but im having the same problem, my receiver doesnt seem to be seeing it. The last time i checked was a year or so ago, so I may try again this weekend just for sheets n gigs. but it seems we are having the same problem and i suspect the non-eastern arc 211k is not able to see 72.7. thoughts?

61.5 IS on the Eastern Arc. Being "Assigned" an ARC does not mean you can not get satellites from another ARC, if your equipment is capable of it, you can get any satellite and get programming you are authorized for from any satellite it is on.

So with that, you should be able to get 72.7 assuming you have clear sky to it. You (or most people) do not need 77 at least at this time. You say 72.7 is south of 61.5, shouldn't it be to the west of it?

Last edited:
weslsew,

We are removing most of the HD programming from the 61.5 satellite and moving or already have the programming on the 129 and 72.7 satellites. These are the channels affected by the change: Toon 9463, USA 9431, CNN 9436, TBS 9499, TLC 9488, DISC 9487, HIST 9491, HGTV 9461, TRV 9437, and LIFE 9470. We would need a technician to realign your dish to the 72.7 for EA or 129 for WA. You stated you have NLOS for the 129, which means we need to change you to the EA to get the 77 and 72.7 satellites. The 211k is an MPEG 4 receiver, which is required with the EA so we do need to change the receiver. Please PM you account number to us so we can schedule this change for you. Thanks.

Ray C,
thanks for the info, those are the channels I have noticed that I'm missing. I'm confused from your post though, do I need to have my account changed to the EA before my receiver will even pick up 72.7 or can I go ahead and try aiming a dish at it to see if I can even get it right now?

If that is so, once i'm changed to the EA will I no longer be able to see 110? I only have two dishes, so assuming I have LOS to 72.7, would my optimal setup be 72.7 and 110 (is there anything I need on 61.5 since you are moving the HD) or should I go with 61.5 and 72.7? thanks for your help

Go with full Eastern Arc. That way if Dish decides to move any channels at all between the 3 satellites you will not be affected. There is still HD on 61.5 and more is moving there as we speak. You don't need 110, it's Western Arc..... That is, unless your local HDs might be there.

He needs 61.5, 72.7, 110. A different type of mixed arc. He doesn't need 77 at all since there is nothing there for him. The only reason he would need 77 is if when they get the new sat at 77 his locals are put there then he would be completely EA.

First, it appears to me he will not get his locals in HD, as best I can tell they are only on 129. He can get (and is getting) his locals in SD from 110. And I don't think Tallahassee is on the Eastern ARC at all.

So assuming Dish will do it with him not getting locals in HD, I would highly suggest he get a full Eastern ARC, and add 110. We have seen too many times not having a full ARC comes back to bite you. There is a new Sat going to the 77 slot, whose to say that's not where Tallahassee will end up if they get added to the EA?

weslsew,

Without looking at your account to see which satellites your local channels are being fed from, I don't know which arc would best suit your location. As I stated earlier, the HD programming for the channels I listed has moved to the 72.7 satellite, which is the reason for the EA migration. We are setting up technician visits for the migrations. Being on the East coast, as an alternative when EA is not available (NLOS), we do setup WA installations (reason for your current installation). Please PM your account number or phone number so we can look at this for you.

First, it appears to me he will not get his locals in HD, as best I can tell they are only on 129. He can get (and is getting) his locals in SD from 110. And I don't think Tallahassee is on the Eastern ARC at all.

So assuming Dish will do it with him not getting locals in HD, I would highly suggest he get a full Eastern ARC, and add 110. We have seen too many times not having a full ARC comes back to bite you. There is a new Sat going to the 77 slot, whose to say that's not where Tallahassee will end up if they get added to the EA?

correct, I am getting my locals in SD from 110, my HD locals are on 129 (which i have NLOS)

Im just looking for a temporary solution here for the time being... as soon as I can afford (hopefully within the next year or two) I'm moving to a house where hopefully trees are not an issue, so If possible, i'd like to keep my dish tv

I just tried to move my 61.5 dish to 72.7 (again) and i was not able to get any signal whatsoever... either my receiver or account is not able to recognize this sat, or I have NLOS. when I moved the dish back to 61.5 I was able to peak at 67 signal strength, so it seems I should be able to get at least something on 72.7.

Ray C, do I need to have you change my account before I can see 72.7? If not, then I guess I'll just stick with what Ive got (61.5 and 110) and hope they dont move any more of the HD away from those guys!

They really need to get all the Eastern stations on EA then all the Western stations on WA. With only a few on both arcs such a waste of bandwidth.
I think the idea was to give you more options for line of sight problems. So they duplicate some cities on both arcs ,which means they have a way of adding customers
even when they can't see the western arc sats 110/119/129 ,which means they will go with DISH- rather than Directv or cable.

Nothing has to happen with your account to go from EA to WA. Your receiver will work on both as long as it is a VIP receiver. Now if you want Dish to come out then of course something has to be done with your account.

correct, I am getting my locals in SD from 110, my HD locals are on 129 (which i have NLOS)

Im just looking for a temporary solution here for the time being... as soon as I can afford (hopefully within the next year or two) I'm moving to a house where hopefully trees are not an issue, so If possible, i'd like to keep my dish tv

I just tried to move my 61.5 dish to 72.7 (again) and i was not able to get any signal whatsoever... either my receiver or account is not able to recognize this sat, or I have NLOS. when I moved the dish back to 61.5 I was able to peak at 67 signal strength, so it seems I should be able to get at least something on 72.7.

Ray C, do I need to have you change my account before I can see 72.7? If not, then I guess I'll just stick with what Ive got (61.5 and 110) and hope they dont move any more of the HD away from those guys!

Run a chk switch with nothing hooked up to clear the switch matrix. Then try again for 72.7. You are changing the elevation of the dish?

They really need to get all the Eastern stations on EA then all the Western stations on WA. With only a few on both arcs such a waste of bandwidth.

I would think the opposite. For many DMA's they need them on both. If Tampa was only EA, they would lose me as a customer there, can't see it without needing to get neighbor to allow me to use a section of his yard. Get WA just fine. I realize Ct is EA, but that is also the only ARC I can fully see, so if it was on the WA only for some reason, again they would lose me.
I'm betting in heavily wooded DMA's Dish would lose - or has lost - or has not signed - thousands of customers because they can get one arc and not the other. For areas such as Pheonix, sure just one ARC should work for almost anyone. Remember, many of those seeking satellite service are often in the more remote areas, often heavily wooded at least in many states. I would also say, in general in the east, the EA arc, being at a higher inclination, should be easier to see than the WA.

With HD & Int channels moving off 61.5 what will be on there. Dish should have left the channels on 61.5 as not everyone can see 72.7. Another stupid move by Dish.

Not true. The people who are supposed to see the whole Eastern ARC, in virtually any instance would see both. Very much like 119/110 for the WA, but even more so because the Eastern Arc is higher in the sky. There will always be that minority that in a special circumstance can't see 72 but can 61.5, but that works both ways. If you had said that about HD going to 129 on the WA, that would have some truth to it.

I think what reddice said was right on for PR/USVI customers. E15@61.5 was designed to serve those markets, whereas none of the sats at 72.7 were. I don't know how stupid Dish engineers are, but I see no reason to take HD off conus on 61.5 and swap it for SD on 72.7. This not only screws HD customers in PR/USVI, but also invalidates all of our hybrid arc installs. The upgrade to EA cost Dish a pretty penny, and what their justification was, I cannot fathom.

From reading most all the posts here, I think there is room for argument on 61.5 being for PR/USVI. I see where the information about the launch talked about that, but I am not so sure Dish ever had an official package that included 61.5 for PR/USVI or ever endorsed it. Many customers in the CONUS who have a hybrid set-up did that on their own. That's in no way to blame them because I'm sure it meant they could not see 129.(See below about 129) For those CONUS customers, whether or not Dish did allow it, customers still have two choices. Add 72.7 and keep 110/119 or even drop 110 if you just have to have HD locals off of 119, which will get you all the channels, or go to the EA. What I posted above applies, if you can get 61.5, you can in most every case get 72.7.
I don't quite follow how the upgrade to the EA is somehow not warranted?? It does two huge things, provides MPEG4, and provides many more chances a customer can have Dish as their provider. Meanwhile they get more usage out of the Sats in the WA, no small thing considering the cost of each, and didn't force Dish to upgrade everyone at the same time.

As to why, we obviously don't know the long range plans. With 77 being underutilized and a new satellite going to 77 soon, locals could go to 77 as some are now, and leaves 61.5 for something we just don't know about. Or, any number of possibilities, but without knowing the plan, how can we say it does not make sense?

Which brings me to identifying the real problem, which certainly is not the EA. It's the 129 slot and Dish having the HD there. Many have the hybrid set-up because so many can not see 129. I don't think I am seeing many posts the other way around, where people have the EA but need 129 because of LOS.

Dish has been pushing for a one ARC, one satellite dish solution, and this is a good reason why. They need to be able to move channels around on an ARC, as circumstances need them to be. Picking your own satellites will open up the possibility of not having all the channels.

My two-dish installation was originally for internationals. Later on, it was for my locals. I thought I had SD locals on 61.5 at one time, but I'm no longer sure of that. (Didn't know about Satelliteguys.us back then.) Now my HD locals are still exclusively on 61.5, as they are for many EA DMAs. The two-dish configuration was valid for many of us before so many nationals got moved over to 72.7.

I was an HD customer with a valid "hybrid arc" setup that Dish installed on their dime. Then they came out again, on their dime, and replaced 61.5 with a new 1000.4. Anybody can look at TheList! and see what transponders at 61.5 are being used for. Note that E12 transponders 17, 19, 21, and 23 are still in conus mode for no known reason. (Well, 23 is a STA transponder, so that explains that.) Given the high costs of the migration, there must be a compelling reason for it. But I sure don't see what that is.

It's not like 61.5 does not have the space. Did they just launch a new satellite for that location? Too me I don't mind being on the Eastern Arc as everything is on one dish. Glad I don't care about internationals though which is stupid to install a huge dish just for 118.7 weak satellite. They should have left the internationals on 61.5 and only have 118.7 for the Western Arc users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts