720p and Dish

The Marquis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I've got the 811 box, and until recently I've had it set to output 1080i. I've just added a second display that only supports progressive scan so I've switched it to 720p. Problem is, the picture quality in 720p mode is terrible. I know the problem isn't with my TV, as I've fed it other 720p sources and the picture quality is great. I've read that other people have noticed a problem with the 811 and 720p.

I think my only option is to upgrade to an MPEG4 receiver. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the 811 and the newer MPEG4 box, and noticed an improvement in the 720p output. I'm interested in the component connections.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

What is the process of getting a different box if I don't change to mpeg4 programming? Is it simply a matter of swapping out the boxes? Does an installer have to do it or can I do it myself?

You can DIY and self-activate (I did exactly that with no problems) - saves a truck roll and your time waiting around for them, but you need to ASK for a self-install if you're going through E*. There is no "change to MPEG-4 programming" involved. The ViP211 receives both -2 and -4 encoding. If you're already getting HD programming (I assume you are) then nothing else needs to change as far as equipment or programming, and you will immediately begin receiving all the newer -4 encoded channels (those that you should get at your programming level) at no additional cost, and at this point about 3/4 of E*'s HD offering is available only in -4. Run, don't walk, to your phone to order the upgrade! I think you can still do a Dish'n it up upgrade to the 211 for $99 through 9-30, then you will also qualify for a $10/mo. for 10 months programming credit. (I just mailed my "rebate" form today.)

All this said, I have no experience with the 720p vs. 1080i problem you mentioned as I always set my 811, and now my 211, to 1080i. Good luck with it...!