721 acting up in the middle of the night

FWGMills

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Roanoke, TX
I have been reading some of the posts in other threads about problems with the 721 like remote not responding (certain buttons not working), returning to a black picture with sound, guide not working, etc.

Three nights ago I noticed that my 721 was acting a little flakey so I decided to reboot. I waited until a little after midnight CST when it wasn't recording anything but I have a timer set for 1am. I reboot and it gets to the "receiver starting...please wait" screen and it reboots itself. I'm thinking, "oh, s^@#. :no I've seen this before..." The last time it did that it lead to an RMA on my 721.

I decided to let it be and see if it would clear up. It reboot itself 4 more times and I decided to stand over the unit threatening to pull it's smart card to try to interrupt the cycle of reboots. At that time, it came back up all the way but my 1am timer started at 12:29am. I thank the stars that all my timers and recordings are still intact. The timer ends at 2am like it's supposed to and all following events record properly.

Now, since I work overnights I've had the chance to see the 721 in action during the day and in the middle of the night. It seems to get "slow" and flakey after 2am and stays that way until between 4 and 5am. Is there some kind of middle-of-the-night maintenance going on? If there's someone who's cracked their 721 and looked at the code...are there maintenance programs scheduled to run at night?

Thanks.

I know that around 3 AM EST it will download EPG data on its own and do what it appears to be a reboot. You may see the lights do something on their own while it does this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)