721 Installation Quesitons

tripold

Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a couple of Dish DVR 721's to replace my existing 4700 and 2800 Dish receivers. I have a DISH 500 with 2 Dual-Output LNBF's (legacy) linking to 2 SW21's. I understand that I will have to do some modifications to my dish or LNBF's (since the 721's need 2 links each), but I'm not exactly sure what my options are. I'm looking for recommendations for the easiest way to do this.

thanks

The 721 needs a total of 2 feeds from the dish. Since you already have two legacy receivers then you will want to stay with a legacy setup to prevent from getting dishpro adapters. You can get a legacy quad lnbf, sw-64 switch, or setup another legacy Dish500 dish to get the extra two feeds that you need.

You could also disconnect the two that you have now but would be left with only one independent television to watch tv from but you could split the signal to several tv's throughout the house and take the remote with you to whichever room you will be at but I think you have more than one person watching tv at the same time.

trip said he wants to replace his existing receivers with two 721s so the only issue is getting him four feeds from the dish. The 721s are DishPro Plus compatible so all options are available.

The cleanest option might be to replace the legacy LNBFs with a DishPro Plus Twin, (DPPTwin not DPTwin) and use a separator at each 721 so as not to have to run more cables. The most future-expandable, also most expensive, would be DishPro LNBFs and a DPP44 switch, again with the separators. If you don't mind running a couple more cables, a DP Quad or Legacy Quad would also do it.

Note: If you go with the DPPTwin, the 721 will not work with a single feed and separator IF the software is older than L175, but you could temporarily run a 2nd cable and let it download the update, then try it with the separator.

Correct I am planning on replacing my existing receivers with 721's. Running additional cables for a DP or legacy quad LNB would not be a problem and would probably be the cheapest since I have most of a 1000' spool in the basement. Are there any issues with software upgrades from DP or Legacy quad LNB's? Seems like I read about an issue with the DP, but not sure if that was out dated and since been fixed? Is there an advantage to switching to a DP vs staying with legacy? Also, would switching to the DP require aligning to a different satellite? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help :)

It should be pretty simple whatever you decide to do, changing the LNBFs does not require repointing the dish unless you are clumsy :p and knock it out of alignment while you're doing the work.

Some receivers, when they are brand new out of the box, don't recognize the newer switches and stuff that was introduced since the factory software was written, but once they get the latest upgrade when you first set them up they typically will work fine from then on. Worst case, you might have to run two cables straight to your old 119 LNBF (bypassing everything else in between) long enough to get the upgrade then you are fine.

There are several advantages to DP over legacy, mainly you can run longer cable lengths, and of course the bandstacking which puts two sets of transponders on each cable. Lots of stuff here to read about that, if you care to search & read a while.

I'll read up on the DP before I make my decision. Thank you very much, this has been very helpful!!

IF you can Get some Sw44 (2) Switches for pretty cheap ( look around you should be able to find them cheap) then you can use 1 Sw44 to run up to 4 tuners , then if you want to ad more tuners ( up to 8) all you would need to do is buy another Sw44 and 4 Sat Splitters ( to make 8 outputs instead of 4 with just 1 Sw44 switch and No Splitters) this is what I have ( a Dish 500 w/ Dual Lnb(Legacy) with 2 Sw44 switches , 4 sat splitters) and I have 8 tuner outputs , and it works great I currentyly run 522, 721 , 501 and 2800

oljim said:
721 will not work with DP+ twin and DP seperator and one cable
I thought the latest software fixed this. Don't know for sure 'cause I don't have one anymore.

in fact the 721 will not work with DP+ twin with 2 cables, think it just killed my 721. ran a SW ck with DP + twin and 2 cables and it had 3 of 3 and shut down . now will not restart.

Lots of rumor about the 721 and DPP-Twin.

Sure wish we could get a straight answer somewhere. :(

As for NpaulTodd's pair of SW44s - run away from that configuration. Much more trouble than it's worth.

Well I just upgraded my 721 from a configuration of a dish300 with Dual LNBF 2 cables, 119 only only to DPP Twin single cable dish 500. Things are working sort of...

Single strength test seem to work OK on both tuners after doing a check switch. However check switch ends at test 8 of 12 with no satellites in the matrix. When I hit done, I get a warning box twice about no satellites in the matrix. However, viewing from both tuners seems to be back to the 119 only situation. I don't see the 110 channels in the guide.

So its working sort of....
Randy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)