721 opentv unable to connect

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Any of the new (for the 721 anyway) opentv apps or the independent customer service app cannot connect when trying to dial out.

Yes, I have a phone line connected, and if I pick up the phone after getting the error message, I can hear modems talking, so it's connecting to "something".

Pepper said:
Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Any of the new (for the 721 anyway) opentv apps or the independent customer service app cannot connect when trying to dial out.

Yes, I have a phone line connected, and if I pick up the phone after getting the error message, I can hear modems talking, so it's connecting to "something".

A lot of the Dish Home apps aren't fully enabled yet. Give it some time.

I wonder how many of the apps are phone dependent I do not have a home phone line. I am getting some of the apps but of course not all of them. So that is why I wondered how many will use the phone to bring in content. Thanks Bob

how do you have the phone line running to it, I used wireless phone jacks when I still had Directv, but when I switched to Dish,(two 301's) I could do a phone connection test, but it would not stay connected using the customer service app, or when it needed to dial out on my ppv (sounds like the same thing you are experiencing). I too could pick up the phone and hear modems talking, the 301's later got a software update for wireless phone jacks, but the customer service app still had problems. I ended up switching to regular phone lines, If you have a wireless phone jack that could be the problem.

stratguy said:
I wonder how many of the apps are phone dependent I do not have a home phone line. I am getting some of the apps but of course not all of them. So that is why I wondered how many will use the phone to bring in content. Thanks Bob

I have a phone line connected full time and am unable to view the following Dish Home apps with the 721:

*Customer Service - Attention: a new Dish Interactive channel is coming soon. For info on new channels, see the DISH Interactive link at dishnetwork.com

*Instant Weather - Ditto. This app does work if you punch in the channel number manually though (Channel 9500)

*Playin'TV

*KidsWise

*PlayJam

*Trivia

*Fantasy Racing

*Showtime

*Pay Per View

Unthinkable said:
I have a phone line connected full time and am unable to view the following Dish Home apps with the 721:

*Customer Service - Attention: a new Dish Interactive channel is coming soon. For info on new channels, see the DISH Interactive link at dishnetwork.com

*Instant Weather - Ditto. This app does work if you punch in the channel number manually though (Channel 9500)

*Playin'TV

*KidsWise

*PlayJam

*Trivia

*Fantasy Racing

*Showtime

*Pay Per View

Hi unthinkable that is basically the same one's I'm missing. I'll run a check and see if there are any others as well but I know that I do not get the ones you just mentioned. Thanks

Well I'm using a standard phone line, it has no trouble uploading PPV's but the customer service app (from the MENU button, not the one on channel 100) can't connect.

How about the one on channel 100? Go to channel 100 and see if you can access customer service, if tells you what unthinkable or stratguy have said then it isn't enabled on your machine. Beyond that, I don't have any idea, sorry.
One thing about the Dish Home apps, some receivers may not have the same apps other receivers have. For instance when I first got my 301's, I didn't have some of the apps, but several of my friends who bought their 301 receivers before me had them, it took over a year for Dish to enable Zap2it on both of my receivers. But my friends 301 had Zap2it from the beginning.

Good Luck!

Isn't it great to finally have OpenTV on your 721?

Dosent it suck that you finally have OpenTV and none of the applications work that you want to use. :)

Well I can't really find any of them I "want" to use, I have a real computer for that. It would be nice if they actually worked though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)