721 Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goose61282

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
I just bought my 721 last week, and so far I have had only one problem with it, but have not found anything about it already posted.

When I press the record button, and tell it to stop and the end of event, (cause it's my bed time) it will begin recording, and when I wake up in the morning it's still recording. When I look at it on the pvr screen it has the correct start and end time, but says 500+ min. long.

Is this a known bug? Or should I be worried about my reciever?

goose61282 said:
I just bought my 721 last week, and so far I have had only one problem with it, but have not found anything about it already posted.

When I press the record button, and tell it to stop and the end of event, (cause it's my bed time) it will begin recording, and when I wake up in the morning it's still recording. When I look at it on the pvr screen it has the correct start and end time, but says 500+ min. long.

I've had a 721 since it first arrived. Never had this problem. Now, with my 921, that is a different story. Try and see if you can repeat the problem. Also go into timers and check what the actual times are for your event.

I reset my timers to see if that would help anything, but as it's an intermittent problem I won't know for a few days if it's fixed or not. It did work on the three shows I recorded today though. Also I put the finish time at 0 past end because it was interfering with the next show.

I wouldn't worry that your receiver has a problem, but you certainly should worry that the OS has had this problem since day one. IOW, it lurks in the DNA of all 721s. Mine still does this about half the time. There may be a set of conditions that contribute, which might be why some haven't seen this (or maybe they just don't use the feature).

As with most quirky DISH PVR behavior, there is a workaround, which is to set a timer before the program airs instead.

As Gary said, you have 2 tuners. One of the few smart things DISH did with the 721 OS was to automatically kill the default padding on consecutive overlapping timers. IOW, if you record an 8PM 30-minute show and a 8:30 show, the timers will overlap. If you set a second 8:30 recording, the default padding on the first show, which would normally record from 7:59 to 8:33, will now be truncated and instead will record from 7:59 to 8:30 to allow the 2nd tuner to be used for the 3rd show.

I have noticed that when I delay an MLB EI channel, when the game is over the delay jumps from 20 or 30 minutes to way over 300+ minutes! Were you recording a ballgame? The 3 minutes over would put it into that time and make it look like it recorded hundreds of minutes but still be normal length. This might also be true for other channels that go off the air at night and put up that Dish symbol with the background music.

goose61282 said:

Mine started doing the same thing after L172, if I hit record, then options and record entire event it will do it every time. If I hit record then ok, it works fine.

kwd57 said:
Mine started doing the same thing after L172, if I hit record, then options and record entire event it will do it every time. If I hit record then ok, it works fine.

I have noticed the same thing. And since I've stopped setting up timers that way I haven't had the problem. Maybe in some alternate universe it works like it's supposed to?

I finally got me a 721 refurb on ebay. I hope I don't have this problem with it. Although the workaround seems fairly simple. Ahh well, being able to record 2 shows at once will be worth it. My 508 just isn't cutting it anymore. Oooh, I'll have it just in time for Survivor too! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)