721 Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
We had a storm the other night and we lost power. The 721 hasn't worked right since. When we finally got power I went to watch some TV and noticed it game an error about the hard drive and said to reset or something. I did a reset where you hold the power button. Anyway after it reset it said it was formatting the hard drive. I got it working and while I lost everything on my HD it seems to record and fast foward and rewind and stuff fine now. If I type in the channel number it seems to work fine. Now my issue is when you open the guide everything is completely blank. I mean nothing is listed anywhere in the guide and you can't scroll up and down. If not in the guide and you try to change channels by pushing the up and down channel buttons that doesn't work either however these buttons work in the menu and stuff so I know it's not the remote. It only seems to work if you type in the channel number to change channels. When you go to that channel it does tell you whats on at that time and you can see what comes on next.

Is this receiver fried or is there something I can do to fix it?

I really don't want to upgrade right now and I like no DVR fee however if I do upgrade any suggestions. I don't have a ton I want to spend right now on a satellite receiver as I have other things I need or want more. Bascially what I want out of it is that it must be a dual tuner receiver and I don't mean where it will feed 2 tv's I want both tuners to work on the one tv just like the 721. I don't see it to operate 2 tv's. Another thing that would be super nice would be HD however not 100% needed.

I love my 721 and basically want the exact same receiver the only things I might would maybe change about it would be a larger hard drive and maybe HD. I don't really want to pay the $20 a month for HD so thats the only thing holding me back from having that already.

Hopefully, the guide will update overnight. Normally, you would be able to advance the guide a day at time until prompted to update te guide info manually. But since you 'reformatted' the drive, there is no guide info to update.

Delete all GUIDE files and get new ones...

1. Menu->6->5.
2. Info, Right, Left.
3. Info, Up, Down.
4. Select ALL.
5. Remove All.
6. Pull smart card and slide it back to Reboot.

You may have to do step 4 and 5 a couple times because it only deletes half at a time.

Try that and if that doesn't work we can try other things.

Delete all GUIDE files and get new ones...

1. Menu->6->5.
2. Info, Right, Left.
3. Info, Up, Down.
4. Select ALL.
5. Remove All.
6. Pull smart card and slide it back to Reboot.

You may have to do step 4 and 5 a couple times because it only deletes half at a time.

Try that and if that doesn't work we can try other things.
Tried that and it got down to one last one and wouldn't delete the last file no matter how many times I told it to remove it. I then rebooted it by taking the smart card out and back in and when it rebooted the guide still doesn't work and the up and down channels still doesn't work. It only changes channels if I type in the actual number.

This is how the guide looks
Dish721GuideProblem002.jpg

I got it fixed for some reason my list 2 had gotten everything deleted off of it. Once I switched to all sub it listed the stuff in the guide and now lets me change channels. I guess it was just that it was on list 2. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Oh well, I got it working. I guess no 722 for me just yet.

You were probably on list 2 when your 721 failed... It formatted the hard drive and when you came back, your list 2 was gone from the hard drive.

Favorites list database for 721 is stored on the hard drive, but the actual names and such are stored in Flash memory.

You can clear NVM Flash memory if you really want to clear your 721 and get it back to a starting point.

Go into the Debug Status Screen like you did before (Info->Right->Left) and then click the BT + MT Reset Button and reboot. It will clear you checkswitch and all other settings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)