721 took a dump.

avediswolf

I'm Back!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 22, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
All of a sudden it started flashing that the smart card was not authorized for the receiver.

The message would flash on real quick, then go to blank screen, then flash back on randomly. Occasionally the channels would come on for a short period but freeze up randomly, then it would do it again for a long time.

Not even channel 101 would come in. About 1000 reboots later, cleaned the contacts on the card, etc... it kept doing it.

It has been a bit flaky since the day I got it, but just figured that as the nature of the 721.

Called the dish folks, I must say for the first time in calling them, I actucally spoke with someone who treated me like I'm not an idiot.
I told him I've pulled the plug, the card, done everything he's probably going to tell me to do.

He basically heard over the phone it freezing up when the channels came on, had me check the SW version, a check switch, and asked for signal strength, and thats all. Said I already did everything else before I called, and had another one shipped right out. Even sent a postage paid sicker to send the old on back since I'm one of their best customers, as he said.

Got the refurb 721 today. This one booted up quick, got it activated right away. It seems a little more "peppy" than the last one ever was.

Give it a week, it will develop an attitude. hehe.

I found that doing a soft boot once a week keeps my 721 working well without getting any lag times or getting any info screens with missing information (I would sometimes hit "cancel" while viewing a show and the time remaining would be missing).

Even with a 622, my 721 gets heavy usage. It's a great machine!

Yeah, my 721 likes to freeze up every couple of months. It'll start responding really S L O W. By now, I've learned this is the time to soft boot. Turn unit off and then hold power button for about 10 seconds. Takes it about 15 minutes to re-initialize, boot, and re-load programming guide.

Now if I could just get DN to quit molesting my firmware!! Every time some new issue arises, I look at firmware version and, yup... it's changed.

Now if I could just get DN to quit molesting my firmware!! Every time some new issue arises, I look at firmware version and, yup... it's changed.

I have to agree with you there. The only change I want at this point is to be able to use a PocketDish with the 721! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)