722 and component output to SD tv

mjstraw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Sony Wega (I think) crt/SD TV connected to Toshiba DVD player using component connection - works fine

Disconnect cables from DVD and connect to 722 component outputs - resultant picture is a bunch of broken diagonal stripes - much like vertical hold would need adjusted back in the really old days.

No settings on TV menus related to component input.

Tried two 722s, tried different set of component cables - no change. Both 722s work fine on another tv using component connection.

Works fine connected to Sony TV with composite connection

Suggestions?

Mark

Try it with a lower resolution. Your TV may not like 1080i. Is the DVD player putting out 1080i or the more likely 480p?

Can't do it

A TV with component that is out of the DVD player is 480 the component for the 722 if set to HD 720 or 1080 won't work. The old TV just can't take the signal of an HD TV. In short you can't do it. You will need to go composite or RF to an SDTV if you want to have HD on your main set.

For most SD TVs with component inputs the receiver must be set to either 480p or 480i (varies from TV to TV). To set this, using composite cables (Yellow/White/Red) connect the 722 to the TV, press Menu-6-8 and set the resolution to 480i. Click "Done" and then tell it to keep the settings. Connect up the component (Green/Blue/Red/White/Red) cables, you should have a clear picture. Now go back into the menu and try 480p, if the picture is good, tell it to keep it, if it goes scrambled, wait 15 seconds and it will switch back. Depending on the Aspect ratio of the TV (most SD TVs are 4x3) you may want to change the aspect ratio on this screen as well to support proper stretch modes when watching HD channels.

Un-needed

For most SD TVs with component inputs the receiver must be set to either 480p or 480i (varies from TV to TV). To set this, using composite cables (Yellow/White/Red) connect the 722 to the TV, press Menu-6-8 and set the resolution to 480i. Click "Done" and then tell it to keep the settings. Connect up the component (Green/Blue/Red/White/Red) cables, you should have a clear picture. Now go back into the menu and try 480p, if the picture is good, tell it to keep it, if it goes scrambled, wait 15 seconds and it will switch back. Depending on the Aspect ratio of the TV (most SD TVs are 4x3) you may want to change the aspect ratio on this screen as well to support proper stretch modes when watching HD channels.

One doesn't have to do anything to take the composite output into the input of a DVD recorder. The Yel, video output is already 480 out of the 722.

One doesn't have to do anything to take the composite output into the input of a DVD recorder. The Yel, video output is already 480 out of the 722.
True, but you can get much more consistent quality using component cables instead of composite. Composite cables (the yellow one) combines the luminance (brightness) data and the color data into one stream using standard NTSC signal standards. This can result in color blooming, and inconsistent color representation on the screen or recording you are making. S-Video goes a step further by separating the color and luminance into two separate channels. This fixes most of the blooming problems, but can still result in inconsistent color and a lower color gamut available due to technological limitations. Component cable not only separates the color and luminance data, but also sends the color as two separate streams increasing the available color gamut, and bringing the color of the picture as close as possible to what was originally recorded. The average Joe probably won't notice the difference, and most SD TVs today probably aren't high enough quality to even represent that difference, but why not use the highest quality connection available?

Those wouldn't be ColorSpace component inputs on that old Sony, would they?

I have an old 36 inch Toshiba with component inputs but they are ColorSpace and won't even work at 480p with RGB component.

resolution did the trick

Set resolution under HD Setup to either 480i or 480p and all works fine with component connection.

BTW - I have yet to find an LCD tv with as good a picture in SD mode as that "old" Sony flat-screen :)

Thanks everyone

Mark