722 Changes Programming During Recording w/o Changing Channel

GaryAdams

Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Atlanta
Hey Gurus,

Thanks for taking the time to checkout my problem. I described it to Dish Network, and I'm not sure the CS believed me. Just wanted to see if anyone knew what might be causing this. I missed most of the Super Bowl last night because of this weird bug.

This is an intermittent, though frequent problem. On my Dish 722, when I playback recorded HD material from our local NBC affiliate, WXIA Atlanta, (via Dish Network -- NOT OTA), the recorded file will experience quick digital breakup with audio dropout and suddenly switch to the Tennis Channel HD. Once in a blue moon, the recording switches back to NBC HD at some random point. Regardless of which programming is on the screen, the metadata persistently says it's the NBC programming.

I've not experienced this problem when watching the live feed of this channel; it's only happened when I've set a timer. However, note that I watch very little live feed TV. No other channel has had this problem.

Note, this is happening WITHIN the recorded file; the box doesn't seem to know that it's no longer on NBC. You shouldn't be able to change the channel during a recording without stopping the recording process, anyway. I can't figure out any other correlative, except it's the NBC local affiliate, in HD and off the DVR only.

I made some mp4's of the channel change to demonstrate what's been happening:
[ame]http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=r7vz1g&s=5[/ame]
[ame]http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=11hcqi1&s=5[/ame]
[ame]http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=335card&s=5[/ame]

Last edited:
sounds to me like a glitch at the uplink center. or it could be a glitch in the tuner and it somehow switches to the wrong pid.

Hey, just to give everyone an update on this problem. After lots and lots of calls, Dish sent me a new 722, and I'm still having the problem.

The customer support center says no one else is having the issue, but I can't see how that could be...

I'm at a total loss.

Anyone in the Atlanta area having a similar problem?

I have witnessed this "phenomenon" a few times over nearly 10 years. It usually occurs when Dish is moving channels around to different transponders or otherwise doing some major "housecleaning" It hadn't become a problem because it only happened once every 3 years. Dish would be surprised at how many people either don't notice, or don't experience it because they aren't watching at the right time or witness it, but just don't want to bother to contact Dish because the signal returns pretty quickly.

I'm betting a Dish uplink matter.

That makes sense. I've been having the problem about seven or eight times a week. I guess, I need to start keeping a log of time/weather conditions and save the videos.

It's insane.

did you have two programs recording at the time this happened?
the programmers are working on this. should be fixed in next release.

Good question. I'm keeping track of that variable, as well now. In the six incidences that have happened since I read this post, yes, we were indeed dual recording (TV junkies).

Also good to know, that it could be a known bug, which will be addressed. It was just driving me crazy that the CR's kept saying it wasn't happening to anyone else. LOL

The folks at satelliteguys.us are good people. Thanks for taking the time!

I'll post an update to the boards, once I have more information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)