722 Does Not Accept 63 character Wireless WPA2 Encryption Key

DennisL

Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Trying to set up my VIP-722 with a new Netgear WNDA3100V2 wireless adpater. The receiver recoginzes the adapter successfully, and the SSID scan correctly identifies the encryption on my network as WPA2 (although it's actually WPA2-PSK).

However, when I attempt to enter my 63 character alphanumeric encryption key, the reciever accepts the first 26 characters, and then refuses to accept any characters beyond that. Each attempt to enter a new character overwrites the character in the26th position.

WPA should accept 8-63 alphanumeric or 64 hex characters. FWIW, there is a neighbor's WEP network within range, and I tried selecting that and entering a key. Also only accepted 26 characters, which is correct for WEP 104/128.

Receiver firmware is L672.

Any thoughts on what might be happening here? Anyone else able to use a WPA2 key longer than 26 characters?

Thanks.

Not an answer to your problem per se, but a 63 character key is overkill to the max. In fact, it's more than likely slowing down any wireless transmissions between devices. In addition to acting as a vehicle for authorization, it's used to encrypt all communication between devices. It's a considerable amount of work to encrypt and decrypt using a key of that length. Cut it down to 10 to 12 characters with a mix of letters, numbers and a character or two thrown in and you're golden.

My guess is that the processing power of the receiver would be taxed too greatly with a key of that length so Dish limited the number of characters. Yes, it's not in compliance.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I know 63 characters is overkill. Something I tried once and just left that way. Will drop it down to 10-12 and go from there. Irritates me though that either Dish has got an obvious bug or made arbitary decision to implement a non-compliant setup. Help screen for the encryption key entry shows 8-63 characters for WPA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts