722 DVR + 21.0 Remote = Almost Entirely Awesome

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I talked a CSR into sending me a 21.0 remote for free, and I couldn't possibly be happier with a Harmony.

+ Setup was mindless. I flipped the remote to IR mode, inserted the key with "1" facing up, got "System Info" from the front panel on the DVR, pressed "Record" on the remote, and that was IT. :cool:

+ My ViewSonic N3735w TV is supported, and now I have full control over it's menu and input selection. The built-in code (566?) does twice as much stuff as the old 5.3 remote did, but when I fleshed it out by programming in hybrid mode, the 21.0 now does things to my TV that I've never needed to do...120% functional. :up

+ The RCA DVD recorder is also supported in a limited way using code 690, but spending 3 minutes teaching it the full command set has given me almost full control. I can now switch the HDMI output mode of the DVD player, I can use the Record function, edit titles on the recordings, and even have Chapter +/- control using the Skip Fwd/Rev buttons on the remote, none of which were supported by the 5.3 remote. :D

- The new Search key and System Wizard key don't work with my 722. I still use # or "Themes" to search, and that's fine. :rolleyes:

- Two-way functionality isn't supported. Though my 722's L618 menu offers me the option to do two-way, when I attempt it, the DVR reboots. :eek:

- The ergonomics are off; I love the way the 5.3 fits in my hand, and holding this is more like a slightly sculpted 2*4 wall stud. It's just too wide to have access to the DVR and Cross buttons without moving my whole hand. :(

- Still no way to turn on closed captioning in less than 6 key presses. I guess Charlie Ergen and his engineers will have perfect hearing forever...must be nice. Can't you guys at least do CC passthrough so that when I mute the TV it can display captioning? :mad:

= Even if you can't get one for free, this is the best $20 you will EVER spend on a remote. I've spent a LOT of Jacksons over the years trying to get one that works the way I need it to, and this is the first full success since I had a 20" cable-ready Zenith TV and an RCA VHS player.

Dren,
I got a 21.0 remote also but I found out you can set the switch to UHF and record it on the system info screen and it will work great and the UHF remote for TV2 still works fine. I also have a second 5.3 remote that my wife uses and it works on TV1 at the same time that the 21.0 remote works. this is good so i can change channels in another room with the 21.0 remote. Can't wait till they get the 2 way to work on the 722.
Bill

I talked a CSR into sending me a 21.0 remote for free, and I couldn't possibly be happier with a Harmony.

+ Setup was mindless. I flipped the remote to IR mode, inserted the key with "1" facing up, got "System Info" from the front panel on the DVR, pressed "Record" on the remote, and that was IT. :cool:

+ My ViewSonic N3735w TV is supported, and now I have full control over it's menu and input selection. The built-in code (566?) does twice as much stuff as the old 5.3 remote did, but when I fleshed it out by programming in hybrid mode, the 21.0 now does things to my TV that I've never needed to do...120% functional. :up

+ The RCA DVD recorder is also supported in a limited way using code 690, but spending 3 minutes teaching it the full command set has given me almost full control. I can now switch the HDMI output mode of the DVD player, I can use the Record function, edit titles on the recordings, and even have Chapter +/- control using the Skip Fwd/Rev buttons on the remote, none of which were supported by the 5.3 remote. :D

- The new Search key and System Wizard key don't work with my 722. I still use # or "Themes" to search, and that's fine. :rolleyes:

- Two-way functionality isn't supported. Though my 722's L618 menu offers me the option to do two-way, when I attempt it, the DVR reboots. :eek:

- The ergonomics are off; I love the way the 5.3 fits in my hand, and holding this is more like a slightly sculpted 2*4 wall stud. It's just too wide to have access to the DVR and Cross buttons without moving my whole hand. :(

- Still no way to turn on closed captioning in less than 6 key presses. I guess Charlie Ergen and his engineers will have perfect hearing forever...must be nice. Can't you guys at least do CC passthrough so that when I mute the TV it can display captioning? :mad:

= Even if you can't get one for free, this is the best $20 you will EVER spend on a remote. I've spent a LOT of Jacksons over the years trying to get one that works the way I need it to, and this is the first full success since I had a 20" cable-ready Zenith TV and an RCA VHS player.

I actually like the feel of my "2x4" 21.0 much better than the 5.3 but mine cost ME $20 + $6 shipping! :rolleyes: Dunno how you got one for FREE, LOL.:confused:

Ed

I paid the $20 + shipping as well, but for me it was worth every penny. I was able to replace 3 other remotes with it since it has the codes for my Tivo, could learn the input change code for my HDMI switch, and I could have it learn the input change code for my receiver.

That remote is awesome!

I saw a picture of this remote with red, yellow, green, and blue buttons. Do they add any functionality similar to the Directv remotes?

I paid the $20 + shipping as well, but for me it was worth every penny. I was able to replace 3 other remotes with it since it has the codes for my Tivo, could learn the input change code for my HDMI switch, and I could have it learn the input change code for my receiver.

That remote is awesome!

It won't work my Tivo, How did you get it to work yours?

DVD function, equipment code 911. (TivoHD) Everything works except up, down, and LiveTV -- those must be learned from the original remote. All of the rest of the functions are ready to go. (except thumbs up / down if you want to learn that as well)

DVD function, equipment code 911. (TivoHD) Everything works except up, down, and LiveTV -- those must be learned from the original remote. All of the rest of the functions are ready to go. (except thumbs up / down if you want to learn that as well)
Thank you.
The list I was using only had code # 888 for tivo and it does not work.

I just talked to a CSR and they are sending me two 21.0 remotes to replace my old remotes they left me when they changed out my 222 to a 222k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts