722 DVR issues

hedbert

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Apple Valley, MN
I am having issues with my 722 DVR when watching a recorded program. The video playback freezes then after a while starts playing again and the unit becomes non-responsive. So I finish the show I am watching without being able to control it. After a soft reset (turn it off then on again) all is good. I have not found heat to be an issue, there is a min of 3 inches of space around the unit in a living room kept at 70 degrees or lower, and the unit does not feel warm. I have had this unit for a few years (i think) and have never had this issue. Could there be a software issue OR is my unit going bad? My Software version is L622.

Thank you for your help.

Your HD is most likely going South. Dump programs to EHD while you still can.

OK So.
I went away for the weekend. I came home thinking I would work on it after the weekend. I turn things on only to find all my recordings and timers are GONE! My roommate said "Ya it was freezing up and I had to Hard Reset it like 3 times." I just groaned and walked away.

So my question is, will I be able to get this unit working OR should I replace it?

I have been holding out for the 922.

-EDIT-
I also cannot connect via DISH Remote Access either.

Last edited:
We certainly seem to be losing a lot of these at about the same time. I can't help but think it's a batch of bad HDDs.

Pressing the Power button on the remote or pressing the FP button just turns on/off the outputs.
Pressing and holding the front panel button for 10 sec forces a soft reboot and should reload guide.
Pulling the AC plug from the wall causes a full/hard reboot and includes the soft reboot.
-Ken

Actually, on my ViP722 DVRs, the outputs are still active when using the remote power button. Same for my previous ViP622. The receivers send a bouncing (floating?) message to press Select to resume the receiver. So pressing the power button on the remote sorta turns on and off the programming output.

Of interest, because many TVs will be like mine- as long as they are receiving a signal, they stay on. But mine gives me 9 minutes to restore a signal or it turns itself off. The bouncing image is enough to keep it on indefinitely. New bulbs are $250.

I'm glad Samsung allowed a replacement of a bulb DLP with an LED one--that is until that fails. Cross fingers as I use it 12 hours a day or more, every day. There was an upgrade fee but the bulb would have gone twice or more by now. It is nice to just pause for breaks without any burn-in.

Messed up on "off" shutting of the output but the reports are a slight power reduction by turning it "off" but not much.
-Ken

HEDBURT

When did you get your 722?

As you can imagine, they're several of us that are now wondering if we might also have a bad unit that hasn't started acting up yet.

HEDBURT

When did you get your 722?

As you can imagine, they're several of us that are now wondering if we might also have a bad unit that hasn't started acting up yet.

I am not sure of the exact date or even the year. However I remember it was when they first came out with the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)