Save money buying your own receiver?

VaDavid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I have a

VIP 722 and a

I would like to replace the 322 and get a HD receiver that will do 1 HD and 1 SD TV. i don't think there is a non DVR HD receiver that will do two TV's is there?

But anyway would i save any money buying a receiver? The receiver i have now are hooked to a phone line so don't get any fees.

I think dish only wanted $75 for a HD receiver but it comes with a DVR that i don't want so if i bought one through dish my bill would go up $5 or $7 for the DVR fee i think?

BTW is the DISH Network Vip 722 the best dish has still?

The 222 or 222K is a non-DVR HD receiver. You may be able to get a leased one for the cost of shipping.

The 722K is the current top of the line, but the Sling loaded 922 is reputedly being released next month.

I imagine with lots of bugs. Dish NEVER released a new receiver without it being buggy, even if it has been supposedly tested. I hope this release will be better than the other releases.

I don't see the 722k listed on dish.com

Whats the differance in the 722 vs 722k?

When are they going to put out a HD receiver that will do 2 HD TV's?

Good questions! If you do a Dishn' It Up upgrade, you will surely have to discuss the exact model receiver you will be getting. The 722k has the two-tuner OTA module for an extra $30. The 722 has a single OTA tuner built-in. Other than that, I know of no other differences.

The 2-HDTV question is a bone of contention, for me at least. Everything about TV2 is HD except for the output. Why no 2nd HDMI, I don't know. Even on the 922, there are no HD outputs for TV2. However, we may see the sling output of the 922 go HD at some point. According to the beta testers, it's not there yet.

IF the 922 comes out next month, then you don't want it. It is NOT going to be ready then. I've played with one within the last week. It still has issues. Let's hope they don't release it until it actually works.

Bob there is a big difference. The 722k has issues, but they are small. The 922 I played with has basica functionality issues (like recording what you tell it to record).

My 322 receiver wend bad and they just send me VIP 222 receiver as replacement so I just got upgraded for free. i think you should give it a try.

So the end result is that you would have two 722s. I would not purchase a 722 for the following reasons:

You will be billed the same
Dish is going to bill you the same regardless of if you owned or leased the 722s. You are saving no money.

Early Termination Concerns are a wash
If you do lease however, Dish is probably going to ding you with a new two year commitment (or is it 3 years now?). So if you did purchase, you would have the ease of being able to drop Dish at your convenience without paying a an early termination fee (ETF). You would then have the burden of trying to sell your 722 to get the money back. If you look at it though, lets say you leased and then you had to back out and Dish dinged you with an ETF, the fee would probably be in and around what you would have purchased the 722 for anyway; so, with leasing you still would not be too far behind compared to purchasing. The ETF is prorated too, so if you terminated things late in the contract, the ETF fee will be lower.

Losing money on a purchase over time
Lets say you get a 722 for $300 (insert any dollar value here). After 2 years, you are out $300. With leasing, after two years, you are out zero dollars. You could have used that $300 for additional programming ... or whatever.

Warranty issues
Also, with leasing, if it dies ... Dish replaces it for the shipping cost ... with a purchase, you need to cover the whole replacement.

With a low receiver count ... leasing is the only way to go in my books ...

Now, if you wanted to keep your 322, then you would have to purchase, because I believe Dish only allows 4 leased "tuners". You can have more, you just need to purchase the rest.

A couple of weeks back I did an analysis of purchasing vs leasing and found that todays lease fees are low enough that subtracting the purchase cost of a receiver from the eBay selling price 2 years later showed leasing was actually cheaper than purchasing in almost every instance.

The difference wasn't great, usually about $25-50 but purchasing always came up short.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks back I did an analysis of purchasing vs leasing and found that todays lease fees are low enough that subtracting the purchase cost of a receiver from the eBay selling price 2 years later showed leasing was actually cheaper than purchasing in almost every instance.

The difference wasn't great, usually about $25-50 but purchasing always came up short.
I think you failed to keep in mind that if you buy, instead of a receiver lease fee, you pay the same amount for some kind of receiver programming fee.

For example: If I lease a 625 and a 301 receiver, the 301 is not the primary receiver on my account, so I would pay $5 extra on my bill for it. The lease costs (but not the DVR cost) of the 625 is included in the mothly rate for the package you have. If I were to disable and return the 301, then purchase one online and have it activated to the account, my bill would not change. Instead of the $5 lease fee, I would paying some other $5 fee for having another receiver with programming. Perhaps someone who owns a receiver can chime in with what dish calls this fee because I don't see it often enough to remember what they call it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts