722 freezes in playback

t.salerno58

Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Dryden, NY
I am having a problem with my VIP 722 on playback. It seems to be getting worse. Start to replay a recorded event, It will play a bit then freeze. It might pause then jump ahead a little, in some cases it comes back, plays a bit more then freezes again. I have been noticing lately some dropouts in recordings played back. Tonight I did a 2 hr 1 minute recording, it gets to 1:59:19 left and freezes to the point where it will not respond to anything. the only thing I can do it reset it.

I did look at the diagnostic stuff, It all shows good. All the counters indicate all is fine. starting to sound like I may want to look into replacing it or the hard drive.

Any thoughts?

722 freezes everyday

for the last month or so my 722 freezes up between 3:00 and 3:30 while we watch THE ED SHOW on MSNBC. If it is on another station nothing happens.Yesterday I turned on the receiver about 3:10 and it was frozen from the start. Dish is no help at all,they have no idea why it happens,they just tell me to pull the plug for a minute. Is it a tea party conspiracy? I would watch the FOX channel instead but I don't thing I can lower my IQ enough to enjoy listening to idiots.

I believe you are more likely to find freezes with weak OTA signals. Some such recordings can only be played without FF/rewind/skip, but pause worked and anything else would jump to the start. Last seen on the local CW HD with marginal signal. The Ed show would be satellite only.

I've also seen it freeze and/or skip to the end with or without forcing a reboot. Try for a later recording is the best I can say--preview your recordings while you still have a chance for a later one.

-Ken

This freezing, moving ahead a little, then showing perfectly, only to freeze again has been happening on my 722 for the last 2-3 weeks. It happens on every recording I make--some are okay to watch, but some are so bad that I just have to delete the program.

I'm not sure if this problem corresponds to any update, but my diagnostics don't show any problems either.

It's like the DVR functions are gone, even backing up live TV causes the freezing, so I think it must be the hard drive, though I had also wondered if an update caused it. In the analysis of the diagnostics, the hard drive is greyed out while the tests for HDMI and something else are available. Is that normal?

Just call Dish to replace it??

Last edited:
Repeat, failing hard drive.

You could jump through hoops and check signal strength and temperature to see if either of those is the problem, but it is most likely the hard drive.

If you lease it, call Dish.

Yes, I have been checking temperatures, etc. for the last week or so, but it doesn't seem as high as some I've read about here. The only thing that kept me from totally concluding it was the HD is the fact that older recorded programs still play perfectly, as they do if I move a show from the EHD back to the internal HD.

Thanks for the verification though, peano and kvnfl. I appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
On my 722 the audio and video has been skipping twice as bad immediately after L629. Also now 80% of the commercials when they are just about to go to black, they skip and the audio stutters and then it stops right before the next whatever starts.

If it's the hard drive, I have had these issues that started with L627 and have lasted for a long time. That means I must have a very hearty hard drive to be dying and last this long. I have a feeling that it's FW/SW.

SandFarmer, my concern that it is the most recent update is what's holding me back from calling to replace this one. Yet, at this point, to be sure I am able to watch a show, I have to watch it live, which is driving me nuts!

I'll check the threads about L629 again, but I didn't see that behavior like I'm getting from my DVR was mentioned much

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)