722 has DD Optical Audio Dropouts

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Just upgraded from an 811 to a 722 and I'm getting alot of audio glitches when using the optical audio through my Audio Receiver. I have the 722 set for Dolby Digital/PCM and Line Mode, my Audio Receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR-225.

I've recorded a number of concerts off of Rave HD and I periodically get audio dropouts where the Receiver appears to lose the DD audio signal entirely for a couple of seconds then its back.

If I rewind the DVR to the spot where the dropout happened it will play fine on the second pass indicating the dropout didn't happen during the recording of the concert.

The HK Receiver has no dropouts from my DVD Recorder and I'm using a high quality optical cable.

I was having the same trouble with my new 722 last night during the Giants / Cowboys game. I thought I was losing signal, but the video didn't skip out, just the audio.

I find that pcm helps with the differences in sound levels and drop outs. I don't like the varying degrees of sound when I change from sd to hd channels and setting the dolby digital to just pcm fixes it. My a/ v receiver puts out a movie track sound quality with 5 channels so It sounds like dolby digital but louder. It is a work around but I like it.

Just upgraded from an 811 to a 722 and I'm getting alot of audio glitches when using the optical audio through my Audio Receiver. I have the 722 set for Dolby Digital/PCM and Line Mode, my Audio Receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR-225.

I've recorded a number of concerts off of Rave HD and I periodically get audio dropouts where the Receiver appears to lose the DD audio signal entirely for a couple of seconds then its back.

If I rewind the DVR to the spot where the dropout happened it will play fine on the second pass indicating the dropout didn't happen during the recording of the concert.

The HK Receiver has no dropouts from my DVD Recorder and I'm using a high quality optical cable.

How hot is your dvr?

I find that pcm helps with the differences in sound levels and drop outs. I don't like the varying degrees of sound when I change from sd to hd channels and setting the dolby digital to just pcm fixes it. My a/ v receiver puts out a movie track sound quality with 5 channels so It sounds like dolby digital but louder. It is a work around but I like it.

So you get dropouts as well? I can try setting the 722 to PCM output. If I still get 5.1 sound and the quality is as good I'd be happy to avoid the intermittent loss of audio.

How hot is your dvr?

I'm not sure, where do I go to look and what temps are ok?

The outside case gets pretty warm, there is plenty of breathing space around it though and no other components near enough to add any heat.

I have some audio drop outs on my mpeg 4 locals in hd. I am not sure that the dropouts are related to the 722 or the crappy station. I also had them on my 622 before on the same mpeg 4 stations. But using pcm makes the sound more uniform and steady but it doesn't sound like 5.1 . My a/v receiver has a movie mode that simulates the sound using the pcm feed. I get the simulation of 5.1 , but not true 5.1. I just wish there was a way to level the sound between both pcm and dolby digital on the actual satellite receiver.

Over the weekend I experienced DD audio dropouts on the Dish broadcasts of CBS and NBC (football and golf). One of the channels would completely lose the sound for a few minutes and then the other would drop out. They weren't both out at the same time.

I have a second source of local channels (OTA on my Voom receiver) and the sound was fine. so this was definitely a Dish problem.

I have also noticed that lately the sound is ahead of the video on my local HD channels on Dish, but not on the OTA broadcasts. In the US Open tennis final, for example, the sound of the players hitting the ball preceded the video by about a second. Very distracting.

My 722 DVR recordings produce audio dropouts, as well. There are more if I move a program to an external hard drive and attempt to play it back from there. Moving the program back again to the DVR reduces the drops. Oddly, some movies seems to plagued more than others, i.e., Psycho audio drops from the external drive occurred every 20 seconds or so. Snakes on a Plane from the same external drive doesn't seem to have any. Like a previous poster, if I run back back a program with a drop and replay it, the drop usually doesn't occur in the same spot. Very frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)