722 HD died - DIRT?

Thanks to MikeH - already have a replacement on the way.

FYI, here is what was happening - the 722 started freezing last night while watching either recordings or live tv. Not the type of thing where it rebooted but a hard lockup. Reset several times (unplug method) and it degraded to the point I was getting the hard drive has failed error message. It lets me watch live tv but no dvr functions - says to wait 5 minutes and try again or reset again - always get the HD failed message though. I left it unplugged over night but got the same thing this morning. I hoped I could get it to limp along until I could dump some recordings to an external drive, but that's not looking good (goodbye latest GoT season, etc.).

Last edited:
Anytime one sees hard drive related issues, I'd say the odds of it not surviving or failing soon are about 90%. Unless you have a lot of things recorded, no backup, and don't want to lose them, the easiest thing is to just replace the receiver. A few people get an error like this and rebooting takes care of it and they don't have any trouble later.

Interestingly the old DVR did start working again after I left it on for a day and then reset it. It allowed me to back up some things I didn't want to lose, but I will replace it anyway as, like you said, chances are the drive is going to fail for good.