722 HDMI audio Passthrough

MPAULSEN

Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
mi
Hello Folks,
Find a lot of useful information here.

I have a LCD TV that is capable of passing through 5.1 audio via an optical output on the back of TV that in turn is connected to A/V receiver (non-HDMI).

Right now my 722 is connected to the TV via HDMI. My problem is when the 722 sends the audio via Dolby Digital or PCM the TV can only pick up the 2.0 sound. This in turn only passes the audio to the receiver in 2.0 and not 5.1. I am trying to find a way to adjust the HDMI audio out setting on the 722 to straight-up "passthrough". This does not appear to be possible with the available(visible) menus on the DVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I am doing this to get rid of an audio/vidoe sync issue I get when hooking up my surround receiver directly to the 722. The audio is processed quicker than the video on the TV therefore creating a lip sync issue. The tv has a lip synce feature that I am trying to pass unto my surround receiver to eliminate the issue. I would be willing to bet there are hundreds of HDTV owners that have the same issue with their setup.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Your TV is capable of passing the 5.1 from its internal tuner, which is normal. Most TV's will not pass an outside source at 5.1 such as a DVD player or in this case your 722.

S~

It only works if the 722 is only passing the 5.1 without doing any of the audio processing. Which is why I am trying to figure out how to set the 722 to just pass the signal through the HDMI.

It's not the 722 receiver, it's the TV. The TV is unable to pass it. Almost all TV's work this way. They will only pass a 5.1 signal out of the TV from their internal tuner.

S~

Even if we assume that the TV really will pass 5.1 from the HDMI input to the optical output, are you sure you're watching channels with 5.1 on Dish? Most of their channels only have 2-channel PCM, and some of the ones that have Dolby sound only have 2.0 on some programs.

Why even bother with having the TV in the scenario. Just send the optical out from the 722 to your A/V receiver. Why complicate things.

That's what I do, HDMI to TV for video and optical to A/V receiver for audio. My A/V receiver has input for HDMI but that would mean that the A/V receiver needs to be on to watch TV. The TV won't pass 5.1 just 2.0 audio.

Why even bother with having the TV in the scenario. Just send the optical out from the 722 to your A/V receiver. Why complicate things.

Trust me the simple way is better in my book. Like I said many of the people that think their TV can only pass through 2.0 might just be in luck.

To restate:
"BTW - I am doing this to get rid of an audio/video sync issue I get when hooking up my surround receiver directly to the 722. The audio is processed quicker than the video on the TV therefore creating a lip sync issue. The tv has a lip synce feature that I am trying to pass unto my surround receiver to eliminate the issue. I would be willing to bet there are hundreds of HDTV owners that have the same issue with their setup."

The TV manufacture confirmed the 5.1 passthrough and another TV owner was able to get it to work. It also took care of the lip sync problem. I would be glad to share the information. Can I post another link here?

Even if we assume that the TV really will pass 5.1 from the HDMI input to the optical output, are you sure you're watching channels with 5.1 on Dish? Most of their channels only have 2-channel PCM, and some of the ones that have Dolby sound only have 2.0 on some programs.

Yes, the program I was test came through clear DD 5.1 when hooked direct to receiver. When going through the TV it comes out 2.0. I am no expert at this stuff only trying to pass on what I "think" I have learned through others trying to solve similar lip syn issues with a 120HZ TV with some sort of Motion Flow tech. If my A/V receiver had audio delay I would be golde. But no such luck.

Here is the quote from the Manufacturer Website. The response came from their representative whom had their engineering department confirm. The quote below that is another owner of the same TV whom finally got it to work with a little of his own tweaking,
Hello all,

Manufacturer: "In this case, this TV will pass 5.1 from any source, besides the tuner to the SPDIF output. The only thing you must take into account is that it must always be setup in RAW."

Customer: " Given that you found that it does pass DD 5.1, I tried again. I found that I had to set my Motorola cable box to "Pass-Through" in the HDMI Additional settings found in the hidden configuration menu on Moto cable boxes. Then it worked, and solved an audio lag problem I was having."

Last edited:
It may be possible that some cable boxes, connected via Coax, can pass through the TV in 5.1. Sat boxes will not.

Does any have a contact that is able to tweak or test the HDMI Settings in the 722 box? The gentlemen whom got this to work was using HDMI from his box to the TV. My TV does not have a Coax input.

Nothing to tweak. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know. If you Google the matter, you will see it's universal. As far as the gentleman is concerned, not enough info, if indeed he was successful. The rep you quoted said audio had to be RAW (uncompressed). All sat audio is compressed.

Two feeds

You have said that the A/V receiver has HDMI in & out. Just run it that way. If you are wanting to run TV w/o the surround then run the component out of the 722 with either the optical (if TV has that input) or lft/rth audio to TV input.

AN alternate setup would be to run HDMI to TV for when you want to watch something w/o surround sound. Then run component and optical to the receiver and component out to the tv. This should eliminate any sync issues. That's what I do.

S~

That is what I am trying tonight. (component Video) Someone from another site suggested that but I haven't had the time to complete. I have the same issue when using my Blue Ray player. So I was hoping to find some sort of universal fix to eliminate this issue with my type of setup. Thanks for the feedback.

What TV do you have? You are going to have this problem trying to run into then out of your TV and out to the receiver. There's a whole lot involved. It's not as simple as you think, that's why TV's really don't do what you want.

S~

Blu Ray too

That is what I am trying tonight. (component Video) Someone from another site suggested that but I haven't had the time to complete. I have the same issue when using my Blue Ray player. So I was hoping to find some sort of universal fix to eliminate this issue with my type of setup. Thanks for the feedback.

So you are have this problem with 2 sources? If so then it is the way you are hooking things up or the TV has the problem. Sounds like something isn't working correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)