722 - lease or buy

H-508

Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
St. Louis
I've read up on some 722 threads, but I'm still a bit confused and before I call the Customer Service line and get more confused, I'm hoping someone will help me out.

I currently have a 411 (and a 211) with Dish HD Ultimate and AT100 programming. I'm going to swap out the 411 for the 722 (one room). My options are:

1) Pay $75 through Dish n it up for the install and then what else? 6 per month DVR service fee and another $5-7 lease fee on top of the lease fee I pay for the 211? (I read some people were getting it for $150 minus a $100 credit, but I'm not sure if that promo is still on).

2) Pay ~$300 to buy the 722 outright and then the $6 monthly dvr service fee?

If the above is correct, it'd take 3.5 ($7 fee) or 5 years ($5 fee) to make buying the 722 worth it. That length makes it more worth my while to lease it I think.

Thanks for the help.

I called them up up and the guy said it would be $100 through dish n it up to swap my 411 with the 722 and then $5.98 a month dvr service fee with no change to the amount I pay for the lease. Weird that dishnetwork.com says it is $75. I told the guy that the web said $75 through DIU, but he said the $100 was through that. Hmph.

I told the rep I'd think about it to see if I get a different answer on the swap from another rep.

There is no way purchasing the unit myself for $300 is a good deal since my house needs 2 receivers.

I think you pay the same per month, within a dollar, whether you own or lease. They just charge different fees. Assuming you have more than one box.

Owning might only make sense if you one day sell it and get some of your money back. Or if you MUST own, to get around the 4 leased tuners limit.

Do you have locals? Have you thought about the DVR advantage? It may be a little more, but you get more programming instead of paying the fees as much.

I have DVR advatage (includes locals) and HD Ultimate and add the other 50 channels from the 250 as a 'premium'. I have one 522 (dual dvr) and one 722.

Account Charges
clear.gif

DHA LEASED RECEIVER 5.00
clear.gif

DISH HOME PROTECTION PLAN (DHPP) 5.99
clear.gif

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
clear.gif

DISHDVR ADVANTAGE, YOU SAVED $5.98! 49.99
clear.gif
DISHHD WITH 1 PREMIUM PACKAGE30.00
dark_spacer.gif

Account Charges $ 96.96

The 'leased receiver' and 'DVR service fee' is for my 522. The 722 is included in the DVR advantage. The DISHHD w/1 premium is the extra 50 channles plus ultimate.

Also, if you only need 2 TVs, you could backfeed the 722 and replace the 411 and the 211.

Just a thought....

Last edited:
Interesting - what's this DVR Advantage?

Currently I'm at:

DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE AMERICA'S TOP 100 WITH LOCALS - $37.99
DISHHD Ultimate - $20
Leased Reciever Fee - $7

Add in the $5.98 dvr service fee and my total would currently come to $71.

It looks like the DVRAdvantage is $49.99 and includes locals. I'm not sure what I'm getting for the extra $12... One place it says you get 100 channels, and another place it says you get 200 on dishnetwork.com.

Edit: oh, I think I have to keep the 211 because both my tvs are HD. I thought I read that for the 722, you can only have one HD and one SD which would take that option out.

A bit off topic but can you really get a 722 for $300. I bought my 622 almost 2 years ago and it was close to $500. $300 for a 722 is a good price I think.

In the end I personally feel it would be cheaper to lease.

When I upgraded to dishHD from a 301, it costs me $150 upfront, but I get 6 months of HD free ($20/month) which works out to $120. Right there, the 722 really only costs me $30. I have also sent in my $100 rebate, which hopefully (fingers crossed) I will not have issues with. Now I am making $70. Granted, I have an 18 month commitment, but for a year and half, I don't plan on switching anyway.

If I bought a 722 for say $300, I still may have got 6 months of HD free so that gets it down to $180 out of pocket. Not sure if the rebate would have applied so I won't include that.

Plus, I only had a Dish 500 system. That $150 upfront cost also got me an installer to come out and install a 1000.2. So that put me even more ahead.

Also, I figure in 18 months Dish will probably have a newer and greater DVR that I can start the cycle all over again with ;)

So long as Dish keeps "paying" me to upgrade ... why not.

Currently I'm at:

DISHHD Ultimate - $20
Leased Reciever Fee - $7

It looks like the DVRAdvantage is $49.99 and includes locals. I'm not sure what I'm getting for the extra $12... One place it says you get 100 channels, and another place it says you get 200 on dishnetwork.com.

Edit: oh, I think I have to keep the 211 because both my tvs are HD. I thought I read that for the 722, you can only have one HD and one SD which would take that option out.
For the $12 you'd get the 200 pkg & the DVR fee included. That's what I have but it might have went up a couple of $$ since 2/1, dunno?:confused:

Ed

I lease, don't want the expense or bother of repairs when these things go south, and they do break.

Currently I'm at:

DISHHD Ultimate - $20
Leased Reciever Fee - $7

You should call to confirm since I'm not an expert or anything... :)

The way I understand it, if you go to a 722 and keep your 211...

The DISHDVR Advantage would give you AT 200, locals, reciever fee, and DVR fee for $49.99. You would also have a reciever fee for the 211.

Also, you are right about the 722. It is one HD out and one SD out (coax).

I do know that I save $5.98 over pricing things seperatley. ( AT 200 + fees + local )

I lease, don't want the expense or bother of repairs when these things go south, and they do break.

I believe if you lease, after the warranty period you're liable for repair costs if it breaks, unless you pay the monthly DHPP fee. Sort of like paying for repairs on a leased car.

Its probually cheaper to lease a 722 anyway you look it it, but for me I would buy just because I dont want a contract. I know dish is up to 24 month contracts on NC's now, is DIU still a 12 month commitment?

is DIU still a 12 month commitment?

24 now...

I pulled the trigger and am leasing the 722 with DVRAdvantage.

Only bad thing now is I learned in the summer they're going to update the software on my 211 to basically turn it into a DVR as long as you get the eSATA external hard drive and pay the $40 EHD fee. I would have saved some money that way versus paying $125 DIU fee for the 722 but with the convoluted pricing structure on whether or not I'd qualify then for DVRAdvantage or if they'd charge the $6 dvr service fee with the updated 211+EHD, it's not worth my trouble to anticipate an unknown. Besides, I have the dvr bug in me now to cancel the work order.

I believe if you lease, after the warranty period you're liable for repair costs if it breaks, unless you pay the monthly DHPP fee. Sort of like paying for repairs on a leased car.
Yes he is right. If it breaks after the 12 months they will lease you a reconditioned one for around 100.00 plus the cost of shipping. Most of the time you can opt for the protection plan when it breaks and they will send you a reconditioned one for the cost of the protection plan. But you will have to sign up for a 24 month commitment with the protection plan.

They do charge a $5 monthly DVR fee when leasing. However my past experience with a 522 was when it quit working they sent me a replacement swapout. No additional charges.

24 now...

I pulled the trigger and am leasing the 722 with DVRAdvantage.

Only bad thing now is I learned in the summer they're going to update the software on my 211 to basically turn it into a DVR as long as you get the eSATA external hard drive and pay the $40 EHD fee. I would have saved some money that way versus paying $125 DIU fee for the 722 but with the convoluted pricing structure on whether or not I'd qualify then for DVRAdvantage or if they'd charge the $6 dvr service fee with the updated 211+EHD, it's not worth my trouble to anticipate an unknown. Besides, I have the dvr bug in me now to cancel the work order.

What are they charging you for the 722?

Lease. I've gone through two separate 622's, both leased. The first was just over two years old when the HMDI port died. I called to complain and they sent a new unit out right away - I only had to pay a small shipping fee - which included the return shipping prepaid to DISH for the broken unit.

On the second 622, it died just after a year with a hard drive failure. They send a replacement unit out again.

If you lease, they own it. If it breaks (without you physically abusing the equipment), they replace it, plain and simple. Bottom line: They want your business. If they try and pull a "it's out of warranty" and you need to pay $XXX on their leased equipment for repair/replacement, then you simply pull a "cancel my DISH subscription and remove me as a customer and come get your box" on them. I bet they replace it before losing you as a customer.

I've never had any issues. They simply send replacements for me. I'll keep leasing as the tech is moving too fast and breaks too easily to go out and buy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)