722: Major annoyance on Sunday evenings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TruckStuff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Dallas
I've had my Dish Network 722 DVR for a couple of years and love it, 98% of the time. However, an irritating issue has cropped up revently. On Sunday evenings (only), the satellite signal starts dropping out, which causes the "lost signal" message to appear on the screen. This usually happens between 3:00PM and 7:00PM CDT, and it happens over and over. The problem is that it isn't really losing the signal. I know the signal is fine because if I have the TV paused, or am recording something during this time, playback of either of these is unaffected, i.e. no part of the recording is lost. For example, I paused the Packers-Cardinals game this afternoon to eat dinner, put the kids to bed, etc. and the lost signal message appeared several times over the next 45 minutes. However, when I sat down to finish the game, the entire recording was there without issue.

The major annoyance comes in with the way the 722 handles this message. When the signal "returns," it doesn't go back to what you were previously watching. The message just stays on the screen. So when one of these non-dropped-dropped signal events occurs, the only way to get back to what you were watching is to go into the system menu, at which point the receiver goes "oh, there it is" and acts like nothing was ever wrong, and then cancel out of the menu. Even if I am watching a DVR event, not live TV, the system will still interrupt what I am watching to inform me about the lost signal. This makes for an extremely frustrating viewing experience.

As I said, this only happens on Sunday afternoons (which makes football games particularly annoying to watch). At first I thought it might be the receivers internals getting mucked up after being on for too long, so I got in the habit of doing a system reset (hold the power button) on Saturdays, but this has made no impact on this behavior.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else experienced/heard about this before? What could be causing these non-dropout-dropouts? Is there anyway to change how the receiver handles these events? I understand displaying the message if you are watching live TV or even paused-live TV, but there really is no reason to display this message if you are watching a DVR event from a week ago, is there?

TruckStuff--I feel your pain!:rant: Do you have an OTA antenna hooked up? See my post "weird loss of signal" in tech discussions. Link at top of page.

Ed

yeah mine does the same thing intermittently, i believe its airplane flutter.

software issue. my 722s are new, have they always done this?

The problem happened with my 622. I've had it for over 2 years and never had this happen before. I was trying to watch recorded stuff as well.:confused:

Ed

Also have a 722 and never saw this one............

Its caused by a weak or dropping OTA signal, make sure you are tuned to a good OTA channel before watching a satellite channel or a recording.

Thanks for the replies. I do have an OTA antenna hooked up. Would this message show up for an OTA source even if the tuner is not on an OTA channel, and the recording did not come off of an OTA channel (PIP or otherwise)? Doesn't make a lot of sense to show the message for something you aren't watching. That sounds like a poor "feature" in the software, if thats what it is. Can this behavior be changed in a menu?

Thanks for the replies. I do have an OTA antenna hooked up. Would this message show up for an OTA source even if the tuner is not on an OTA channel, and the recording did not come off of an OTA channel (PIP or otherwise)? Doesn't make a lot of sense to show the message for something you aren't watching. That sounds like a poor "feature" in the software, if thats what it is. Can this behavior be changed in a menu?

thats why i said its probably a software problem...........

mine was worse when snow and ice acxcumulated on my yagi antenna

Evidently. I was trying to watch a recording, receiver was in single mode and not tuned to an OTA channel. The "lost signal" thing was saying that I lost signal from a sat tp. Every sat/tp I checked, including the one "lost", was showing excellent s.s. OTA channels also looked great when I checked 'em but I DO get a momentary loss from one of them when it's windy. It WAS windy. I never caught a drop out when I checked but I'm guessing that's what was happening. Doesn't make any sense to me either.:rolleyes: VERY irritating!:mad::rant:

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts