722 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tsbrewers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
MN
hey all, recently I picked up a used 722 and am having a few "problems" my biggest annoyance is the timer function. I can't seem to get it to just record the new episodes. For example, I have a timer set for myth busters. I have it set to just record the new episodes, but as we speak it is recording an episode that was aired in 2009. This is happening with many of our timers. Not sure what the deal is? I have read the manual and searched all over without much luck. I have quadruple checked that they are all set to new programs only. Hoping I am just missing something easy. Brew

It's the guide data they get. It's not always accurate or complete. If the episode number or date is missing, the STB errs on the side of caution and records. Common.

For one thing, I believe Mythbusters is over and done, there are no new episodes? I watched their final episode about a month or so ago. They recapped some of the cooler things they did over the years.

Last edited:
Straybeat said:
For one thing, I believe Mythbusters is over and done, there are no new episodes? I watched their final episode about a month or so ago. They recapped some of the cooler things they did over the years.

There has been new episodes 3 of last 4 weeks and a new one tomorrow night.

There has been new episodes 3 of last 4 weeks and a new one tomorrow night.

Wow, I wonder what I saw then? It was the girl and the guys showing old clips and saying, "I can't believe it's over?" Then alluded to it being the last show.

Maybe it was just the end of last season's shows or something? I don't regularly watch anymore.

Last edited:
tsbrewers said:
hey all, recently I picked up a used 722 and am having a few "problems" my biggest annoyance is the timer function. I can't seem to get it to just record the new episodes. For example, I have a timer set for myth busters. I have it set to just record the new episodes, but as we speak it is recording an episode that was aired in 2009. This is happening with many of our timers. Not sure what the deal is? I have read the manual and searched all over without much luck. I have quadruple checked that they are all set to new programs only. Hoping I am just missing something easy. Brew

The nets will do this in their listing data. A&E, Discovery, &S Spike are huge offenders of listing reruns as "new" with Tribune Guide services. Set your timer to "weekly" rather than "new". Prob solved.

The nets will do this in their listing data. A&E, Discovery, &S Spike are huge offenders of listing reruns as "new" with Tribune Guide services. Set your timer to "weekly" rather than "new". Prob solved.

Nick, Disney and Cartoon Network are the biggest offenders in my house at the moment. In my case the show descriptions are all generic. They give a synapsis about the show rather than the episode. The episode number shows as N/A and the original air date is the date the show premiered. For example the Looney Tunes Show shows original air date as 5/13/11, yet it still records even though I have it set to record new shows only. Changing it to "weekly" actually added back in the ones I "skipped". I do not recall having this problem with DirecTV. I don't know who they use, but who can a Dish subscriber complain to about this as it is getting ridiculous that I have to "skip" shows in my timer list that are set as record new. I would guess that on average I skip about 10-12 shows a day that are set to record when they should not be.

It's Tribune Media Services tht provides the info for the epg. And they are notoriously bad. If they leave the original date or episode number blank or incorrect, the dvr doesn't see the episode as old. What you can do is press the dvr button three times. That brings up the daily schedule. Arrow over to the list. Go down to each episode that is scheduled to record. Press info. If it's not a new episode, arrow up to Skip and press select. That will skip the episode. If you see an episode that you do want to record, arrow up to Restore and press Select. If it's a series, after you press info then arrow up to tTimer and Select. That will show you all episodes of the Timer scheduled in the epg. From there you can do what I described above for each episode

Thanks all, coming from a long time tivo guy, there are a lot of thing I will need to get used to. Unfortunately I am finding many of the things don't stack up to the original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts