722 rebooting

labrat321

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
My 722 receiver has been rebooting itself several times today, like it does when you had the power button in to force a reboot. Does anyone know what would cause this? Thanks

It's a POS. I have the same thing going on right now. From Sept of 07 thru Dec of 07 I went thru 4 boxes. The last one I got lasted until now, which is better, but they seem to be big old pieces of sh!t. The best part is that I lose my recorded stuff!!!!

Did either of you just recieve a software update OR have you checked the TEMP of your unit?

The temp is fine for me. As well, it wouldn't be that since I had 4 units break in 4 months, but this one lasted 1.2 years. Its always been in the same spot and they have always broken during the cooler months of the year.

My box is having other issues too. If you pause the tv and come back like half an hour later to watch it, after you hit play and watch for a couple of minutes, it skips all the way to live tv. Then when trying to rewind, it doesn't rewind and gets hung up.

Did either of you just recieve a software update OR have you checked the TEMP of your unit?

Temps, 84 low, 136 high, 122 avg

Called dish and went through their steps. They told me to unplug it from the surge protector and if it did it again to call back and they would replace it. Watching and waiting.

Mine did the same thing. I finally had to get another. I guess I got lucky because its better now. My other one has started to hang on the nightly updates about once a month. I can hear it running the fans on high, but I'm too lazy to get out of bed to power cycle it.

I just went through two 622's and one 722 that were rebooting. After trying everything else, I finally went and bought a cheap ($40) UPS at WalMart, plugged the 722 into that and since then--no reboots! I'm not sure if I had a faulty power strip or the power coming into my house is not as clean as it should be, but the UPS seems to be "conditioning" the power enough to keep the 722 up and running.

i had a 622 for 4 years and never had this issue. my dad on the other hand has gone through 2 622's in 3 years. hopefully this latest replacement will last for a while. our setups are very similar so i'm not sure why him and not me. :confused:

Sounds like it's on it's way out. I am on my 3rd 722...they all start with same issue....sluggish responses, and then freezes up and reboots. My last one wouldn't let me make any changes to priorities without rebooting. Crappy HDDs I would guess.

Temps, 84 low, 136 high, 122 avg

Called dish and went through their steps. They told me to unplug it from the surge protector and if it did it again to call back and they would replace it. Watching and waiting.

I am surprised, but unplugging the receiver from the surge protector seems to have fixed it for now. Receiver has been on since yesterday and hasn't shut down yet.

I am surprised, but unplugging the receiver from the surge protector seems to have fixed it for now. Receiver has been on since yesterday and hasn't shut down yet.

Receiver started acting up again and rebooted several times yesterday. It is back to rebooting about every 20 minutes now. Called dish and they are sending a replacement.

Receiver started acting up again and rebooted several times yesterday. It is back to rebooting about every 20 minutes now. Called dish and they are sending a replacement.

I just had a 622 replaced for the same thing, kept rebooting. I tried plugging it directly to the wall, power surge, UPS, kept doing the same thing. Non-stop rebooting. I got the replacement yesterday and it seems to be doing fine. Two 622s replaced for the same thing in less than 3 months.

I have had the 622 for years....upgraded to the 722...went through 4 boxes in 2 months....and finally just went back to my 622...and have been fine since. Best thing...dish renewed my contract and won't let me out now, Even though it's their fault!

Turned on the tube about 6pm last nite and it was loading program guide then it rebooted when it was done and did that routine three times before I had enuff and manually rebooted the unit. OK then. But when I started playing back programming from between 4-5pm there were areas that were frozen and could not move ahead 30sec. Turns out those two programs were wasted.

So far so good today....hate that if this continues your recordings and programming setups DISH should have a way to transfer that info to the replaced unit; after all you have paid for the service and it failed. It's the least they can do for the customer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)