722 receiver & remote, a few questions

87hardbody

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Hello, I see on the back of the receiver that the installer has 1 cable coming in from the sat. dish going thru a diplexer than one output goes to the sat in jack the other output off the diplexer goes to another diplexer, one output of that one goes to the second sat in jack the other goes to the remote tv output, is this normally how these receivers are hooked up?

Also when in dual mode and recording a program to the dvr, I guess it is normal to not be able to change the channel on the tv that is showing the program being recorded? So to record a program and watch another I should set the program to record on the remote (2nd) tv so I can watch something else on the main tv? If a program is scheduled to be recorded on TV2 or tv1 is there a way to swap it to the other tv?
ex. I programmed a show on TV2 but now want it to record under TV1 do I have to delete the scheduled program and than re-do it on the other TV? or is there another way to do this?

Is there a way to program the remote for tv1 to do a command that may not be included in one of the codes for a certain tv? I have a RCA projection tv and I have the HD/DVR receiver connected to the TV's DVI connection, but when the TV is first turned on it comes up on cable and I have to change the input to get to DVI, the TV/Video switch doesn't scroll thru all the inputs the TV has. Going to try a different code for the remote for the TV to see if another one that works may control the input command.

Anyone have any problems when one of the dishes ( my case the HD dish) is mounted to a pole, as far as the dish moving from excessive rain loosening the ground or from strong wind moving the pole?

Is it normal for the picture using the 722 receiver to take a few seconds to come up when changing the channel, even using the recall button?

lastly (for now), for my neighbor, he has Dish only no cable, he wants to be able to hook up his dvd player in one room (near the receiver) than be able to view the dvd in another room on TV2 just by changing the channel that the TV2 signal is not using, he's currently using a switch between the TV2 output and his second TV that he has to manually switch, kind of the same way I think they did my Dish and cable using one coax cable? Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks to all who can assist, I'm new to Dish and have read thru the owners manuals, just don't see what I need to know

You may have your antenna signal brought in on the same cable as the satellite signal--separate is better. The satellite signal has voltage going to the dish so must have a "DC pass" indication. Next to the short cables to the dual inputs of the receiver is a separator (like 900-2000?MHz and 2100-3000?), not a diplexer. Your antenna/cable signal will be below 700 MHz and was below 800 MHz and was separated by a splitter closer to the antenna/dish.

If you do not need TV2 for a separately controlled signal, then operate in single mode (button next to front-panel power button) and you will not need to worry about which tuner is recording unless both are in use and you will have to use the OTA to watch a third signal. Or watch a recording until a tuner is free.

For TVs with unknown commands, you will have to wait a month or so to pick up the new 2-way/learning remote. (Possibly $20.) Or use a standard IR learning remote that has your codes and enough Dish codes--there a lot of them, both codes and remotes.

If your TV is not retaining the DVI/HDMI as input then you are likely turning off the Dish receiver along with the TV. Dish puts out a "screen saver"/alive signal except during the nightly reboot that will keep that input alive if you use the TV off button and not a power strip. Else, turn on the receiver first and then the TV--but do let the Dish receiver reboot nightly.

No comment on weak pole mounts.

Yes, it takes 1-3 seconds to get a new channel--it now seems longer than before as memory serves.

The DVD player will be RCA cables or NTSC RF. You can diplex the RF (like ch 2 to 4) with the NTSC UHF from dish, choose 60 or higher for antenna to avoid real TV signals. Know that you may be radiating your dish programming to the neighborhood contrary to the FCC. This can be tricky.

-Ken

ok, figured out the remote problem, just had to try different codes.

Can I make the 722 run in single mode so I can watch 1 program while recording another on the same tv, than possibly pick up a single tuner SD receiver to put on the tv that was previously wired as TV2? If this can be done how would the wiring be done? I know on the 311 receiver it has sat. in and cable in with a cable out jack, so I could just run a seperate cable tv coax straight into the receiver, but where would I get the coax for the sat. in from?

how much of a difference does RG6 make over 59? My "TV2" coming off the 722 has 59 but I don't see anything wrong with the picture.

my sat. dishes have that built in multiswitch, can I still run a seperate cable to the 3rd receiver from the dish?

Satellite signals are different than analog/cable, you need the better grade coax to keep the satellite strength high enough so not to cause signal losses while viewing. In your case the coax needs to be run from the lnb with the built in switch or an external switch if your setup should have one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts